Widgets Magazine
Page 25 of 82 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293075 ... LastLast

Thread: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    All of those came from the attached meeting PDF available here: https://okc.primegov.com/meeting/att...he%20Boardwalk. It isn't any new info, but at least the PDF has better quality. I saw this earlier, but assumed these were the known renderings and we were waiting on something more detailed/visual.

At least in the really general massing photos, the buildings don't look nearly as tall as I would have expected for the stated number of apartments. Also including less than 1 parking space per unit, excluding the public parking side, is an interesting (and encouraging!) choice.
    Thank you!!

Here are the key slides:

I noticed this one, not sure if this is just conceptual to show the public space, but it shows a residential tower in the background.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9014.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	18113

Quote Originally Posted by sroberts24 View Post
    I noticed this one, not sure if this is just conceptual to show the public space, but it shows a residential tower in the background.

Name:	IMG_9014.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	18113
    That's an "inspiratation" image from a project in Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Very Cool! I'm confused no mention of Dream Hotel?
    Ok Dream to start construction after the two 28 story residential buildings start. Per Oklahoman

There is no mention of Dream in the presentation or discussion today because it can't be part of the incentives ask, which is the whole point of the first steps in this process.

Omni has a clause that prohibits hotel incentives in the downtown area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That's an "inspiratation" image from a project in Miami.
    Gotcha! Thanks Pete

Welp, we wanted more towers in Bricktown. By God will we get them!

If only we had similar developments going on at the stage center site, the area east of the park, and on the Ford lot. All at once. Crane lovers dream

Those conceptual plans are basically what Convergence was [originally] supposed to be. Multi-level shared spaces with video boards all around. I really dig it, if this gets built to the ultra-modern specs that it is claiming to be, then this is a big W. I am excited to see actual renderings.

If their timeline holds true, this would also be completed before the Olympic Games as well! If that didn't play into some aspect of their timeline, I would be shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by W8N2SKI View Post
    If their timeline holds true, this would also be completed before the Olympic Games as well! If that didn't play into some aspect of their timeline, I would be shocked.
    I keep hearing for at least the whitewater events, the Olympics in OKC is a done deal.

Since the Alliance is at the point of the spear when it comes to incentives and economic development, there is absolutely no way this hasn't been mentioned to the developer.

was really hoping that with any new plans or conceptual images we got they would have made some changes to actually engage reno instead of ignoring it completely

i will advocate for density all day but this is a fairly disappointing proposal in terms of actual urban design

Blog Entries

Within the next decade, how much construction will be in play with the two twin $550 million apartment towers , a new $1 billion DT arena. Core development will be twice as hectic as it was with the construction of Project 180, the Devon Tower and the Myriad Garden's renovation. Get ready for the building boom.

The renderings and site plan are not detailed enough to come to the conclusion that anything has or has not been ignored. The site plan and massing does allow for a massive pedestrian oriented courtyard between the hotel and north apartment tower. This could be lined with restaurants with outdoor patios along that water feature. It’s too early to say one way or the other. The site plan only provided massing and approximate dimensions.

According to an article by the Oklahoman, the retail and restaurant/entertainment spaces already are 100% taken. Signed LOIs all around. That is awesome! Developer said they are mostly new to market, and names people would recognize.

A few thoughts:

First and foremost, there are very few cities in this country outside of Texas that have this kind of central city ground-up development going on right now. Particularly cities the size of OKC. I hope OKC realizes what a big deal this is.

Second, I realize this is a lot of TIF money and I know there will be pushback. I won't argue that TIF can be overdone and can be a problem. But I hope the debate is balanced and opportunity cost is discussed.

Third, ground level urban form is the most important thing when it comes to a very well-planned city. I agree with the poster above that this doesn't hit all the right buttons when it comes to urban form. I personally would rather see the streets on all sides activated and will hope for movement in that direction as the plans proceed.

BUT I am encouraged by the density. This will be a real cluster of towers as opposed to being spread out. One thing OKC does have going for it in its traditional small CBD is density. This will not approach the density of the blocks around First National but will be closer than might be expected in the year 2023.

This will expand the skyline when looking from the north and the west. Imagine coming down Broadway Extension in 5 years, the panoply of buildings from BOK over to this development will begin to resemble the line of buildings in Downtown Dallas. Also coming from the west on I-40. This is a function of the fact that it is a block farther east and a couple of blocks farther south. Having said that, I don't like that is a little bit disconnected from the CBD but I'm not going to quibble.

I was very encouraged about the LOI signed by retail and entertainment that I read in the Oklahoman article this morning. That surprises me...in a good way.

Let's make this happen, OKC!

One other thing...the lagoon is cheesy, unnecessary and should be dropped in favor of moving the towers closer together. Just my opinion.

This is so massive, explains why it's taken a couple years to get to this point.

Name:	brick 2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	526.8 KB 
ID:	18120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brick 8.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	18121Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brick 9.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	18122Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brick 10.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	18123

I do hope they stick to designs like this, true to the district and its history. Industrial, "modern" warehouse, brick buildings

I am also hoping that this will spur the redevelopment of the U-Haul building! Bring it back to its former glory. Would love to see something like this happen to it, maybe mixed use or residential. Hopefully they can create some beautiful plaza spaces as well.

Name:	brick 12.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	18124Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brick 3.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	18125Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brick 4.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	18126

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    One other thing...the lagoon is cheesy, unnecessary and should be dropped in favor of moving the towers closer together. Just my opinion.
    Or connect it to the canal so it actually serves a purpose but agree that it's kind of pointless without the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    We don't even know what the lagoon will look like. Remember, there will be more to this than just 4 towers. The lagoon could be a good gathering area or something like that. Look at the lake at Chisholm Creek. It could be like that, but on a much smaller scale. I'll wait for the actual renderings to come out to pass judgment on it, rather than just looking at a top down drawing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceGuy View Post
    was really hoping that with any new plans or conceptual images we got they would have made some changes to actually engage reno instead of ignoring it completely

i will advocate for density all day but this is a fairly disappointing proposal in terms of actual urban design
    You are kidding, right? With these drawings it is impossible to tell the interaction points with Reno, but it will be significant. This can be a big urban win, but I am sure there will always be detractors. Let's see what the actual detail is before condeming.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    You are kidding, right? With these drawings it is impossible to tell the interaction points with Reno, but it will be significant. This can be a big urban win, but I am sure there will always be detractors. Let's see what the actual detail is before condeming.
    lol the site plan THEY released literally says "DROP OFF" in that area. currently they are showing more drive and paving than actual building along reno. also didn't say i was condemning it... again i am an advocate for density and additional housing all day. its obviously a billion times better than the existing surface parking lot, but based on what they have released so far... the lack of massing along reno is a bummer.

I can see the criticism of some claiming Reno is being ignored here. I would agree with that from the available plans. If they scrapped that weird "drop off" area along reno and moved the 3-level dining w/ rooftop building to that area they would be in much better shape. There is no reason to have so many curb cuts along Reno. Also, it would make much more sense for the restaurant space to interact with the street/neighborhood rather than hiding it from the street behind a tower addressing a hokey lagoon.

Hopefully some of these issues can be rectified as the plan solidifies. I would assume with the amount of TIF requested, the developers would be open to input from the planning department.

Thread Information