Widgets Magazine
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 192021222324

Thread: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    Other than Japan and the US how many more countries will be able to field a Women's softball team? I imagine it will be 8-10 teams maximum.
    Well, there are only 6 qualifying spots in the Olympics for both Softball (Womens) and Baseball (Mens). At least, based on the 2020 Olympics (and the number of the teams competing below only includes those that qualified for that level of competition - it does not include all countries that presented a team for qualification):

Six teams qualified for the Olympic softball tournament, including Japan, which, as host nation, qualified automatically. The United States team won the 2018 Women's Softball World Championship to qualify for the Olympics. The remaining four spots were allocated through three qualification tournaments: one spot for a Europe/Africa tournament, one spot for an Asia/Oceania tournament, and two spots for an Americas tournament.

The World Championships featured 16 teams, with the winner earning an Olympic qualification spot (awarded to the runner-up instead if Japan wins).
    One quota spot was awarded at a combined continental qualifying tournament for Africa and Europe to be held from 23 to 27 July 2019. The tournament featured eight teams: the top six from the 2019 ESF Women's Championship and the top two from the 2019 Softball Africa Cup.
    One quota spot was awarded at a combined continental qualifying tournament for Asia and Oceania to be held from 24to 29 September 2019 in Shanghai, China.[6][7] The tournament will feature eight teams: the top six from the Asian Softball Championship 2019 and the top two from the Oceania Softball Championship 2019.
    Two quota spots were allocated to the winner and runner-up of the Americas Qualifying Event to be held from 25 August to 1 September 2019 in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada. Tournament consisted of 12 teams split into two groups.

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBenjals! View Post
    I love OKC’s momentum, but I don’t see this. I think being Tier 3 is a great thing considering OKC is 42nd in MSA population. There’s a lot of big cities out there.

Obviously this is debatable: but this is a rough list I’ve seen several places. I think it puts OKC in a great spot.

Didn’t put every city - but you’ll get the picture.
    Tier 1 (International Influential Cities)

New York
    Los Angeles
    Chicago
    Washington DC
    Boston
    San Francisco
    Seattle
    Dallas
    Houston

Tier 2 (National Influential Cities)

Detroit
    Minneapolis
    Phoenix
    Denver
    Baltimore
    Portland
    St. Louis
    Pittsburgh
    Kansas City
    Cincinnati
    Columbus
    Charlotte
    Las Vegas
    Austin
    Sacramento

Tier 3 (Regionally Influential)

Nashville
    Sacramento
    Indianapolis
    Tampa
    Orlando
    Salt Lake City
    Raleigh
    Oklahoma City
    Honolulu
    San Antonio
    New Orleans
    Richmond

OKC still needs a lot more population/corporations/universities to bump up to tier 2. I was in KC this weekend, and the density and wealth was surprising. There are so many headquarters there.
    Not sure putting the number 3 tourist city in the US, which has the number 1 D&O airport (IIRC), and just a massive convention scene in tier 3 makes sense. Orlando doesn't have the influence of NYC, but I think it pretty handedly beats out a lot in the Tier 2. The number 2 tourist city and a major cultural hub, Miami, is also missing from the list (I know you said you didn't include all).

3. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Honestly Orlando isn’t much of a city. I made a couple of trips there last fall; had never been. Explored pretty extensively. If you’re not at one of the parks/resorts, it’s a pretty crummy destination. Food scene lacking, nightlife lacking, downtown entertainment district emptied out by COVID fallout. Sure, International Drive has the same chains most major cities have, and some carnival-attraction-type places that many cities don’t, but even the nice stuff lacks authenticity or local flavor. Orlando…ain’t great.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Honestly Orlando isn’t much of a city. I made a couple of trips there last fall; had never been. Explored pretty extensively. If you’re not at one of the parks/resorts, it’s a pretty crummy destination. Food scene lacking, nightlife lacking, downtown entertainment district emptied out by COVID fallout. Orlando…ain’t great.
    Isn't that like saying "If you ignore Manhattan, NYC is just sort of okay?"

I agree Orlando itself is just another sprawled out city, same as many on the tier 2 list, but it does have 1 very major global cultural center, another major national cultural center, and a few other at least a few other major regional destinations. How many US cities have an iconic worldwide attraction (that actually draws thousands of international tourist from every continents every week)? Disney World also operates the largest public transit system in the state. Orlando also has a very outsized chunk of conferences, especially big and high profile conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Especially since the OKC Chamber is taking the financial risk, the people of OKC have paid for the facilities that made this possible (similar to the Thunder), and because OKC will be putting even more money into all this. I do think the state will come up with some money, but city residents have already made most of the investment. Few realize the city subsidizes Riversport to the tune of $5 million a year.

Any success in OKC is almost in spite of the rest of the state dragging us down.
    Right! It was highly amazing that Mayor Holt of OKC wasn't too afraid to march behind the Grand Master car of the OKC gay parade last month. What with the District Hotel being the biggest gay resort in America, he knows the LGBTQ+ crowd are important to the economy of OKC. OKC should be plenty ready for the 2028 Olympics.

With a few rare and great exceptions in Oklahoma, such as Durant, most Oklahoma towns outside of the metros are simply relentlessly dragging themselves down. It's a far more bad reflection upon those towns than upon Oklahoma City. It's a pity they can't help it, though. Surely, a number of younger people in those declining towns know it full well and have been moving to the Oklahoma City metro for a much brighter future in their lives, while leaving behind the stubborn old people being highly devoted homebodies as they are to die there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Orlando also has a very outsized chunk of conferences, especially big and high profile conferences.
    for perspective Orange County Convention center (orlando) has 7 MILLION sq feet .. and over 2 mil of exhibit space ..

OKC CC is 500k with 200k exhibit space ..

7. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    No question, OCCC is massive. One of my trips was centered around a show there, and it’s difficult to describe the floor space. The just the exhibit space in the N-S hall is like ten Home Depots. Orlando wins at conventions, and at Mickey Mouse. Not much else. Least favorite major city I’ve visited in recent memory. By a lot.

Orlando wins at conventions, and at Mickey Mouse. Not much else. Least favorite major city I’ve visited in recent memory. By a lot.
    Anecdotal and not even my story, but I listen to a lot of Thunder podcasts and some beat writers mentioned during COVID when the league was paused there was an Athletic article that involved several teams' reporters/writers where they ranked the NBA cities. They didn't go through with it but when the host asked what was the worst city, several of them mentioned Orlando. Which shocked me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Right! It was highly amazing that Mayor Holt of OKC wasn't too afraid to march behind the Grand Master car of the OKC gay parade last month. What with the District Hotel being the biggest gay resort in America, he knows the LGBTQ+ crowd are important to the economy of OKC. OKC should be plenty ready for the 2028 Olympics.

With a few rare and great exceptions in Oklahoma, such as Durant, most Oklahoma towns outside of the metros are simply relentlessly dragging themselves down. It's a far more bad reflection upon those towns than upon Oklahoma City. It's a pity they can't help it, though. Surely, a number of younger people in those declining towns know it full well and have been moving to the Oklahoma City metro for a much brighter future in their lives, while leaving behind the stubborn old people being highly devoted homebodies as they are to die there.
    Stillwater seems to do fine because of OSU - same thing with Tahlequah with NSU and also nearby tourism from the Illinois River and Ozark hiking. Grove has similar potential with its location on Grand Lake. But yeah most small towns across the state are pretty bleak.

10. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Anecdotal and not even my story, but I listen to a lot of Thunder podcasts and some beat writers mentioned during COVID when the league was paused there was an Athletic article that involved several teams' reporters/writers where they ranked the NBA cities. They didn't go through with it but when the host asked what was the worst city, several of them mentioned Orlando. Which shocked me.
    Yep. Since returning, pretty much every person to whom I’ve mentioned my distaste for outside-of-the-parks Orlando has agreed with me. Clearly if you have young kids or if you’re an adult superfan of any of those park offerings, it’s a great place to go. Other than that it is 100% a skip.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    No question, OCCC is massive. One of my trips was centered around a show there, and it’s difficult to describe the floor space. The just the exhibit space in the N-S hall is like ten Home Depots. Orlando wins at conventions, and at Mickey Mouse. Not much else. Least favorite major city I’ve visited in recent memory. By a lot.
    no doubt "downtown" Orlando is a joke ..

I attended some conferences at UCF in Orlando and I was very much not impressed with the city. Definitely in the bottom of U.S. cities for me, and I’ve visited a ton of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Have you been there?

That would've been my thought as well. It's hot and humid, it's downtown is lame and is in a state lined with beaches but an hour from the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Is Holt the greatest mayor OKC has ever had?

Maps 4, securing the NBA in OKC for the next 25 years, and getting Olympic games in OKC are some pretty serious accolades.
    Says more about the chamber, and the hotel tax, than anything else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Says more about the chamber, and the hotel tax, than anything else.
    And, I love Holt, but Holt wasn’t responsible for the NBA in OKC. It really was Mick Cornet, wasn’t it?

Leadership is always critical. We have been blessed in OKC with a good run of good mayors. Wish we didn’t have to fight Tulsa and the rural areas or else some of these would have been great leaders for the State and maybe we wouldn’t have the kind of “leadership” we suffer now. Would love to see this state with actual progressive leaders and a working legislature.

16. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

^^^^^^^^^
    David Holt was Mick Cornett’s chief of staff during the Hornets temporary relocation and the arrival of the Thunder, and he was deeply involved with those moves, but yes, it’s fair to call the NBA ascension Mick’s baby. He was the person who dared to think it. But clearly David has taken the ball and ran with it…much like when Sam Bradford used to hand the ball off to Adrian Peterson.

^^^^^^^^^
    David Holt was Mick Cornett’s chief of staff during the Hornets temporary relocation and the arrival of the Thunder, and he was deeply involved with those moves, but yes, it’s fair to call the NBA ascension Mick’s baby. He was the person who dared to think it. But clearly David has taken the ball and ran with it…much like when Sam Bradford used to hand the ball off to Adrian Peterson.
    I’m guessing the Sam Bradford-Adrian Peterson part is a joke since they never played together, right? Or did you mean Jason White and AD, or Sam Bradford and Demarco Murray?

18. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Oh Dan

Oh Dan
    I guess the Internet joke is going over my head…

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Have you been there?

That would've been my thought as well. It's hot and humid, it's downtown is lame and is in a state lined with beaches but an hour from the beach.
    I’ve only ever been to Orlando for the theme parks. Never stepped foot in its downtown or really even got close.

Thread Information