Widgets Magazine
Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 News and Information

Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

Now 5 more people I know have it. My grandpa, mother, and myself all have a very bad cold but tested negative. Should I still self quarantine? I’m fully vaxxed. Anyone else having a bad cold/allergies atm? I’ve not ever had allergies this bad before.

^

My allergies have been so bad the last several days I used one of the free home Covid tests just to be sure.

It was negative, thankfully.

Pete, I usually don’t get allergies but this year it’s absolutely insane. PS, I’d double test. I had a double test again today and thankfully it was negative. They didn’t do the king thing up the nose just a short swab.

4. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

My allergies have been so bad the last several days I used one of the free home Covid tests just to be sure.

I did exactly the same a couple days ago. Allergies worse than I ever remember having. Also negative though.

It looks like long term health issues are still a fairly high risk (20 to 50%) even for those who aren't hospitalized (the only thing that seems to be measured anymore with the current spike):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...ht-protection/

"Six months after their initial diagnosis of covid, people in the study who were vaccinated had only a slightly reduced risk of getting long covid — 15 percent overall. The greatest benefit appeared to be in reducing blood clotting and lung complications. But there was no difference between the vaccinated and unvaccinated when it came to longer-term risks of neurological issues, gastrointestinal symptoms, kidney failure and other conditions."

"One in five COVID-19 survivors aged 18–64 years and one in four survivors aged ≥65 years experienced at least one incident condition that might be attributable to previous COVID-19. Independent of age group, the highest RRs were for acute pulmonary embolism and respiratory symptoms.

These findings are consistent with those from several large studies that indicated that post-COVID incident conditions occur in 20%–30% of patients, and that a proportion of patients require expanded follow-up care after the initial infection. COVID-19 severity and illness duration can affect patients’ health care needs and economic well-being. The occurrence of incident conditions following infection might also affect a patient’s ability to contribute to the workforce and might have economic consequences for survivors and their dependents, particularly among adults aged 18–64 years. In addition, care requirements might place a strain on health services after acute illness in communities that experience heavy COVID-19 case surges.

COVID-19 survivors aged ≥65 years in this study were at increased risk for neurologic conditions, as well as for four of five mental health conditions (mood disorders, other mental conditions, anxiety, and substance-related disorders). Neurocognitive symptoms have been reported to persist for up to 1 year after acute infection and might persist longer. Overall, 45.4% of survivors aged ≥65 years in this study had incident conditions. Among adults aged ≥65 years, who are already at higher risk for stroke and neurocognitive impairment, post-COVID conditions affecting the nervous system are of particular concern because these conditions can lead to early entry into supportive services or investment of additional resources into care."

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/...414#contribAff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm7121e1_Post-COVIDConditions_IMAGE_24May22_1200x675-medium.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	17492  

6. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

^

I am about over + test covid and, thankfully, its been no worse than a cold. My wife got it and seems to be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I am about over + test covid and, thankfully, its been no worse than a cold. My wife got it and seems to be the same.
    Consider yourself fortunate, but try to remember that others have a different outcome.

8. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

I’m on my third run (2x confirmed cases and 1x assumed case during holiday omicron surge - quarantined but didn’t test). First time I’ve ever had significant respiratory symptoms, as prior rounds were mostly lower GI (other than losing smell, which has never fully returned).

This time my doc put me on Paxlovid and symptoms began to vanish almost immediately and were gone within 24 hours of starting. I highly recommend the stuff. Surely this time has also been much milder due to being fully vaccinated + boosted.

Despite my cases being relatively mild they haven’t been without consequences, even beyond the lost sense of smell. After the last round I suddenly developed type 2 diabetes (I’ve never had even a glimmer of an issue with glucose before). My PCP and my endocrinologist are both convinced it was a direct result of COVID, as they are both seeing a deluge of new cases from people who’ve recently had COVID. Studies are bearing this out also.

We’re likely only seeing the tip of the iceberg related to life-changing chronic health issues triggered by COVID throughout the human population, and we should all continue to stay as vigilant and conscientious as possible about not spreading this virus. Unfortunately that doesn’t seem to be in the cards, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Surely this time has also been much milder due to being fully vaccinated + boosted.
    much more likely it is because you have had covid before ..

10. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    much more likely it is because you have had covid before ..
    Both are factors in a good immune response.

11. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I’m on my third run (2x confirmed cases and 1x assumed case during holiday omicron surge - quarantined but didn’t test). First time I’ve ever had significant respiratory symptoms, as prior rounds were mostly lower GI (other than losing smell, which has never fully returned).

This time my doc put me on Paxlovid and symptoms began to vanish almost immediately and were gone within 24 hours of starting. I highly recommend the stuff. Surely this time has also been much milder due to being fully vaccinated + boosted.

Despite my cases being relatively mild they haven’t been without consequences, even beyond the lost sense of smell. After the last round I suddenly developed type 2 diabetes (I’ve never had even a glimmer of an issue with glucose before). My PCP and my endocrinologist are both convinced it was a direct result of COVID, as they are both seeing a deluge of new cases from people who’ve recently had COVID. Studies are bearing this out also.

We’re likely only seeing the tip of the iceberg related to life-changing chronic health issues triggered by COVID throughout the human population, and we should all continue to stay as vigilant and conscientious as possible about not spreading this virus. Unfortunately that doesn’t seem to be in the cards, though.
    I now have a cardiologist for the first time. Everyone involved believes my new heart issues are from having COVID. And none of the times were serious symptoms.

12. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

^^^^^^
    Yep. Long-term heart issues, diabetes, nervous system and brain disorders, plus other known significant outcomes…it ain’t “the flu.”

Updated new cases per week:

06/02/22 2,417
    05/26/22 1,845
    05/19/22 1,388
    05/12/22 1,046
    05/05/22 850
    04/28/22 686
    04/21/22 498
    04/14/22 457

14. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

I just looked at a half dozen N.E. states on the WP. All of them peaked with this surge from 5 to 8 weeks after starting upward. Hopefully we'll be similar. We were with the other surges.

Update on weekly reported new cases:

06/09/22 3,056
    06/02/22 2,417
    05/26/22 1,845
    05/19/22 1,388
    05/12/22 1,046
    05/05/22 850
    04/28/22 686
    04/21/22 498
    04/14/22 457

Good info, thx, we might wait until the fall to get our fourth shot now that we know this.

Update on weekly reported new cases:

06/09/22 3,056
    06/02/22 2,417
    05/26/22 1,845
    05/19/22 1,388
    05/12/22 1,046
    05/05/22 850
    04/28/22 686
    04/21/22 498
    04/14/22 457
    Me and the lot of my friends are part of that statistic. We haven't physically seen each other though in a bit.

me and my wife still haven't had it

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    me and my wife still haven't had it
    how do you know you haven't ??

serious question?

Like others on here, I have definitely had a bad spring for my allergies. I had an inner ear infection because of it where I had major vertigo and nausea. Must've been the tree pollen but man, that sucked. I still feel like it hasn't completely gone away and it's been several weeks.

On the COVID front, it definitely feels like more people have been getting it lately. I was supposed to take my dog to get groomed last weekend and the whole place had basically been wiped out by it and they have all been super careful during this whole pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I had the symptoms in Nov2019. Only tested recently cause I went on a cruise.
    I had the symptoms in February 2020. It was a coughing sickness with irritated throat. I woke up with it in the middle of the night and had to go to Wal-Mart for cough syrup. Also felt tired, achy with low fever. It went away in close to a week without going to the doctor. I have been wondering ever since if I had covid. So lo and behold on Wednesday I came down with the very same annoying symptoms. So I decided I better get an Abbot at home test. It showed positive. Soon later, I went to the doctor. Before prescribing me Paxlovid for it, the doctor had to test me for covid, which came back positive. My oxygen level was 95 and temp 99.2. So I'm glad it's no worse than the 1st apparent time around. My older brother was in the hospital for two weeks with it over a year ago.

I'm sure a ton of people had it right around the first of the year but at that time it was very difficult to get tested, at home or otherwise.

I think I had it but couldn't get the test. I did self-isolate to be on the safe side.

I know there are many others that were in the same situation. Fortunately in my case, it was like a moderate cold (if it was indeed Covid). I'm sure it helped that I had had 3 jabs by that point.

I'm definitely handling it better than my first perceived time. Taste/smell intact so far. No aching. Although I'm more lightheaded than the first go.

Thread Information