Widgets Magazine
Page 24 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn Square Mall

Default Re: Penn Square Mall

anyone know if The Art of Shaving is open yet at Penn?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Their website has Oklahoma City listed as a location without the little "coming soon to:" above Oklahoma City, Penn Square Mall. That makes me assume it's open, but I don't have visual proof beyond their store listing.

They've been open for a couple months.

It is open

They've been open for awhile now. I went a month ago and bought some shaving utensils there. Very nice products, just make sure to feed your wallet before you go.

Went to Penn Square this afternoon for the first time since the holidays and could not believe how bad the grounds look. It looks like dudes in their giant pickup trucks were parking and peeling out on the grass. Now the grass and landscaping is completely tore up with massive tire tracks and mud everywhere. FYI this is after a multimillion dollar renovation. Is the premier mall in the state or the state fair? I guarantee you other marquee malls in the region do not look so shabby.

I typically wouldn't care that much but considering this is supposed to be the nicest mall around and a gateway to the city's second most significant commercial district, it really just looks bad. I noticed that despite the back parking lot being half empty today there were still people parked on the grass. I am tempted to be "that guy" and send an email to Simon Property.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Went to Penn Square this afternoon for the first time since the holidays and could not believe how bad the grounds look. It looks like dudes in their giant pickup trucks were parking and peeling out on the grass. Now the grass and landscaping is completely tore up with massive tire tracks and mud everywhere. FYI this is after a multimillion dollar renovation. Is the premier mall in the state or the state fair? I guarantee you other marquee malls in the region do not look so shabby.

I typically wouldn't care that much but considering this is supposed to be the nicest mall around and a gateway to the city's second most significant commercial district, it really just looks bad. I noticed that despite the back parking lot being half empty today there were still people parked on the grass. I am tempted to be "that guy" and send an email to Simon Property.
    A bigger parking garage would help solve that problem. During peak times parking becomes pretty scarce but they block off half of the front and back lots for valet parking during December as well, making finding parking spots really difficult. I've been guilty of parking on the grass a few times after driving around looking for a spot for 20 minutes during the holidays.

We always park on the grass during the holidays, there is nothing wrong with it. Hopefully the build a bigger garage soon.

Simon has been working a lot inside and outside of the mall. I wish they would keep the cars off the grass as well, but they've really been improving things. New signage (finally!) has gone up on the corner of Penn and Northwest Expressway and a new sign on the west side of the mall. If somebody is out and about, you might snap a picture. I drove by too fast with no stop or I would have taken a pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    We always park on the grass during the holidays, there is nothing wrong with it. Hopefully the build a bigger garage soon.
    They need to build two more garages and use the remaining parking to expand the mall, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    They need to build two more garages and use the remaining parking to expand the mall, in my opinion.
    I agree. I know you posted something awhile back that was pretty neat.

They've been open for awhile now. I went a month ago and bought some shaving utensils there. Very nice products, just make sure to feed your wallet before you go.
    I've been using them for years before they came to OKC, I've also been petitioning them for years to open in Penn Sq. Actually if you get the chance, go to Shave Shop in Classen Curve, they have better stuff; some more expensive and some less expensive than AOS. Even most of the less expensive stuff is better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post

Agree, this remodel, including the recently added new signage, was executed poorly and not up to Simon standards. I've been tempted to email call Simon HQ as well, because it looks like a chop shop job of construction and design. The exterior remodel and signage looks like something Randy Hogan and crew would come up with (a la Lower Bricktown)

Agree, this remodel, including the recently added new signage, was executed poorly and not up to Simon standards. I've been tempted to email call Simon HQ as well, because it looks like a chop shop job of construction and design. The exterior remodel and signage looks like something Randy Hogan and crew would come up with (a la Lower Bricktown)
    Well to be fair, Penn Square Mall is upscale by OKC standards but is actually a pretty average mall. I don't really see any problems with the new signage for the type of mall Penn Square is and is comparable to similar Tier 2 malls I've been to in other cities. Penn Square is not Northpark in Dallas or Southpark in Charlotte.

I understand that, but regardless, it's not up to average Simon Standards.

Those new signs are pretty lame.

Says you maybe. There are curbs and grass there for a reason, and it's not for you to drive over and park. There's always parking available on the north end.

I understand that, but regardless, it's not up to average Simon Standards.
    The only Simon malls I am familiar with are Southpark in Charlotte which is a very high-end mall, and McCain Mall in Little Rock which is a low end one. Penn Square is a mid-level mall. Do you have any examples of what could/should have been done that would be appropriate for that type of mall?

Ok, I went ahead and put my money where my mouth is about my shared concerns and filled out their contact form. For anyone else wanting to do the same, I'll save you time with the direct link to their contract form:

https://www.simon.com/contact

Can somebody be specific about the problems they have with Simon on the remodel? Don't just throw around generalities. What specifically is wrong? I think Penn Square looks great. I don't understand the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Can somebody be specific about the problems they have with Simon on the remodel? Don't just throw around generalities. What specifically is wrong? I think Penn Square looks great. I don't understand the problems.
    I agree. If Penn Square was a top tier mall they may have a point but it's not. I think it looks great for a mid-range indoor shopping mall. It looks far nicer than Woodland Hills in Tulsa, which I think really does look pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Says you maybe. There are curbs and grass there for a reason, and it's not for you to drive over and park. There's always parking available on the north end.
    eh, you'll get over it. Don't really care what the curbs are there for and neither do the other hundreds of people that park there.

This.

While parking at Penn Square can be tight there are really only 3 or 4 weekends out of the year when overflow parking is needed. Saturday was certainly not one of them. It reeks of laziness of those who do it (and dare I say its a bit low class); with that in mind Penn Square could stop it if they really wanted to by putting up some aptly placed signs. And I really wouldn't care about any of this if it weren't destroying their grounds and making a large commercial district look more worn than it should.

Ok, I went ahead and put my money where my mouth is about my shared concerns and filled out their contact form. For anyone else wanting to do the same, I'll save you time with the direct link to their contract form:

https://www.simon.com/contact
    Thank you. May just do this.

eh, you'll get over it. Don't really care what the curbs are there for and neither do the other hundreds of people that park there.
    Well with that line of thinking, you shouldn't mind when your neighbor throws a party and several party-goers decide to park in your yard, since curbs don't mean anything and other people are doing it too. A quite jerk-ish line of thinking on your part if you ask me.

Well with that line of thinking, you shouldn't mind when your neighbor throws a party and several party-goers decide to park in your yard, since curbs don't mean anything and other people are doing it too. A quite jerk-ish line of thinking on your part if you ask me.
    Agreed. It's rather sad to see that people have such little regard for the appearance of their (our) city; so much so that they'll justify the asinine doings by saying hundreds of other people are doing it, so that makes it okay to tear up one of the nicer pieces of real estate in the state of Oklahoma. As bchris02 has mentioned, it's not even one of the nicer Simon malls, it doesn't need any help by our outstanding citizens -- that drive trucks with wheels on it made for tearing up terrain -- to park on it. I'm sure Pluton drives a smaller car, so he's not contributing to the deterioration of the grounds, but it's still a little selfish to tell others they'll get over it because hundreds of people are doing it. I want people to drive by the nicer places in & around OKC & say "hey, I didn't know OKC had such nice looking places" instead of "it doesn't surprise me that OKC has such low standards for curb appeal, nothing but rednecks live here anyway".

Thread Information