Widgets Magazine
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Electric Vehicles

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Don't hook up a trailer to your F150 EV. You know, a vehicle that should be able to pull a trailer.
    So don't tow with your EV. Don't run them in hot weather. Don't run them in cold weather. Sounds like a winner to me.

2. Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    45 miles on the average of all EVs Model Y a hundred miles.
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    So don't tow with your EV. Don't run them in hot weather. Don't run them in cold weather. Sounds like a winner to me.
    Very well said.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Don't hook up a trailer to your F150 EV. You know, a vehicle that should be able to pull a trailer.
    I don't really get the concept or appeal of an electric truck or really an ICE truck for that matter. At least an electric SUV is more aerodynamic. I guess you can haul light to moderate loads occasionally while paying a price premium? I would go with an electric car just to get my return on investment as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    i mean analysts say a lot of things and often are wrong. but this was an interesting read.

I suspect we are close to exhausting the early adopters, so sales will start to flatten out for a while.

In the meantime, the charging infrastructure and tech will improve and then the snowball will start rolling downhill at an increasing rate. Exactly when is the only real debate... My best guess is another 5-10 years.

As a single-car household, I would not buy an EV at this point. But by the time I am in the market again, I suspect I will only look at EV's.

There is going to be slower sales, but I bet you ICE sales will also be slower. The era of cheap financing appears to be coming to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    There is going to be slower sales, but I bet you ICE sales will also be slower. The era of cheap financing appears to be coming to an end.
    car financing for those with good / great credit .. doesn't really relate to the fed rate ... ... if care sales slow .. expect to see manufacture offer very low self financing like they have done in the past ..

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I don't really get the concept or appeal of an electric truck or really an ICE truck for that matter. At least an electric SUV is more aerodynamic. I guess you can haul light to moderate loads occasionally while paying a price premium? I would go with an electric car just to get my return on investment as soon as possible.
    Because its a way to keep revenue up. Its a lot easier to charge 100k for a big electric SUV as opposed to a small sedan. Electric cars are actually worse for the environment in that it makes people think that a car centric society can be sustainable.

Quote Originally Posted by josefromtulsa View Post
    Electric cars are actually worse for the environment
    You're Being Lied to About Electric Cars
    Science has repeatedly shown EVs are better for humans, despite the meme you just retweeted.

13. Default Re: Electric Vehicles

^ This. Just another push to make people believe something that isn't real.

i've just heard too many horror stories from folks with full EVs.

will be looking pretty hard at luxury hybrid SUVs when i decide to move on from my GV80.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You're Being Lied to About Electric Cars
    Science has repeatedly shown EVs are better for humans, despite the meme you just retweeted.
    Theyre worse for the environment in that they enable people to think that everyone driving everywhere is going to still be a sustainable course of action. I am not speaking in regards to the mining for materials or the lifecycle of the vehicle.

I have an electric car and haven't had any major issues. But I agree that it would be better to have great public transit and less driving cars.

Theyre worse for the environment in that they enable people to think that everyone driving everywhere is going to still be a sustainable course of action. I am not speaking in regards to the mining for materials or the lifecycle of the vehicle.
    People aren't giving up private car ownership. I understand dreaming of a perfect utopian mass transit solution, but EVs replacing gas powered vehicles is a major positive transition that shouldn't be proclaimed as "worse for the environment".

by that logic, public transportation is worse for the environment than riding horses or walking. so guess public transportation is bad then.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    by that logic, public transportation is worse for the environment than riding horses or walking. so guess public transportation is bad then.
    But if 50 people take 1 vehicle, that is better for the environment than 50 people taking 30 vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    But if 50 people take 1 vehicle, that is better for the environment than 50 people taking 30 vehicles.
    yes. public transportation is better in many ways than everyone owning cars. but car culture isn't just going to go away. that isn't a real option. so to say that EV's are worse for the environment than public transportation, fine, but they are still significantly better than the alternative vehicles those 50 people would have been driving, and can much more easily become a real replacement option.

I'm not sure everyone riding horses would be good for the environment compared to mass transit. Horses eat a lot. lol

yes. public transportation is better in many ways than everyone owning cars. but car culture isn't just going to go away. that isn't a real option. so to say that EV's are worse for the environment than public transportation, fine, but they are still significantly better than the alternative vehicles those 50 people would have been driving, and can much more easily become a real replacement option.
    If youve made the decision that cars are the only way our society can function you may be victim to motornormativity.
    It took decades and trillions in public investment to rebuild american society around the car. We arent going to flip a switch and fix the problem tomorrow. Also, I am not against people owning a car. I am just against society subsidizing the cost of ownership of cars.

That’s not what josefromtulsa is saying. The belief is that in certain instances, electric vehicles can create a false dichotomy by encouraging consumers to think switching to electric instead of gas fixes most or all issues related to motor vehicles, especially environmental concerns, which leads to an illusion that enough has been done to fix those concerns. That in turn can lead to complacency or inaction by a segment of the populace that previously was more active in combatting the issues at hand, then just starting the cycle over (unsustainable city planning, insufficient public transportation, uncontrolled sprawl, increasingly longer commutes, thinning resources, etc) but with a relatively better environment. It’s not that these issues will definitely come into play, but that without proper planning, cooperation, communication, education, among other things, it can add to what increasingly seems like a losing battle.

If youve made the decision that cars are the only way our society can function you may be victim to motornormativity.
    It took decades and trillions in public investment to rebuild american society around the car. We arent going to flip a switch and fix the problem tomorrow. Also, I am not against people owning a car. I am just against society subsidizing the cost of ownership of cars.
    i mean that literally isn't what i said. but even if we went full mass transit, there will still be gas powered vehicles, think in Europe how they still have delivery trucks, etc. Public transit can not replace every situation, even in those places. so having an EV infrastructure to support even changing over those vehicles that would still exist, as well as last-mile travel options, would still be an improvement over gas powered options that exist today. Public transit can not replace everything, and never will. hence, it is not a real option. I fully support public transit and which we would see a lot more planning and building of this infrastructure. but public transit does not solve all transportation needs, and thus EV's still have a very real place in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    That’s not what josefromtulsa is saying. The belief is that in certain instances, electric vehicles can create a false dichotomy by encouraging consumers to think switching to electric instead of gas fixes most or all issues related to motor vehicles, especially environmental concerns, which leads to an illusion that enough has been done to fix those concerns. That in turn can lead to complacency or inaction by a segment of the populace that previously was more active in combatting the issues at hand, then just starting the cycle over (unsustainable city planning, insufficient public transportation, uncontrolled sprawl, increasingly longer commutes, thinning resources, etc) but with a relatively better environment. It’s not that these issues will definitely come into play, but that without proper planning, cooperation, communication, education, among other things, it can add to what increasingly seems like a losing battle.
    You've got it 100 percent. We needed to move away from cars years ago. Unfortunately, it will be the youth who will pay the sins of the father.

Edit: not to mention the increasing focus on all the PM 2.5 issues associated with rubber tires.

Thread Information