Widgets Magazine
Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Hill, The

Blog Entries

Default Re: Hill, The

I don't think you are as vague as you think.

I don't remember a dust up with OKCisOK4ME. But I am aging and don't remember several things....a day. LOL.

I love your passion and the perspective you bring. But I think we all need to be more about promoting good ideas than slamming those who disagree. Good ideas can come from a lot of places, including from those who don't make a career of studying the subject. I think we sometimes get more caught up in selling our own ideas than in considering other points of view.

2. Default Re: Hill, The

No doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I don't know why it is necessary to trash something just to promote something else. While I think "dozens" downtown is a gross overstatement, there are several good restaurants downtown. But, in a 2 square mile in the "burbs" you can include many very good restaurants as well, depending where you arbitrarily draw the lines. We are blessed with a healthy local restaurant scene and good options in multiple parts of the metro. In fact, some of the better casual choices are now migrating downtown. And, some of the downtown options are expanding to the burbs. Everyone is benefitted.

You might go visit Coach House, Metro, Cafe 501, Upper Crust, Ranch, Michaels/Grand, Vito's, Coolgreens, West, Republic, Mathew Kenny, Sean Cummings Pub, Nomad, 1492, etc. in the Nichols Hills/NH West area. All local, all good with a few very good. No chains. And there are a host of others in the area that cater to niches, like Cous Cous Cafe, S&B, and a number of Asian restaurants along May., etc. When you are in town you should experience the area.
    I'd hardly call any of those suburban. Inner-urban fringe, sure.

4. Default Re: Hill, The

I don't know why it is necessary to trash something just to promote something else. While I think "dozens" downtown is a gross overstatement, there are several good restaurants downtown. But, in a 2 square mile in the "burbs" you can include many very good restaurants as well, depending where you arbitrarily draw the lines. We are blessed with a healthy local restaurant scene and good options in multiple parts of the metro. In fact, some of the better casual choices are now migrating downtown. And, some of the downtown options are expanding to the burbs. Everyone is benefitted.

You might go visit Coach House, Metro, Cafe 501, Upper Crust, Ranch, Michaels/Grand, Vito's, Coolgreens, West, Republic, Mathew Kenny, Sean Cummings Pub, Nomad, 1492, etc. in the Nichols Hills/NH West area. All local, all good with a few very good. No chains. And there are a host of others in the area that cater to niches, like Cous Cous Cafe, S&B, and a number of Asian restaurants along May., etc. When you are in town you should experience the area.
    1492, Irma's, McNellie's, Stella, Kaiser's, Saturn Grill, GOGO Sushi, the Packard, Waffle Champion, Ludivine, Hideaway, S&B Burgers, Iguana Grill, RED Prime, Beatnix Cafe, Cafe do Brazil, Hobby's Hoagies, Steak & Catfish, La Cuerva... and that's just places that I like in Midtown (did leave out a few places I don't like, though I also included places I've eaten at before whose Midtown location is still under construction). I won't even get into the Arts District, downtown proper, Bricktown, Deep Deuce, etc--all packed with even more restaurants.

I don't think there is ANY area that comes close to rivaling downtown for restaurants. Or to put it another way, the restaurant scene has really become downtown's specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Ah Rover, you could learn from me :P ...I only vaguely insult people who I'm not talking to, whereas, you can't help but be smarmy to everyone you're talking to. I mean, on here people are going to hate you after 8,000+ posts and almost 10 years no matter what :/

Didn't you actually call OKCisOK4ME poor and not downtown-worthy in another thread or something that caused a huge spat?
    Its okay. He doesn't know me and besides...I've moved beyond the petty banter lol

Blog Entries

Well, they certainly aren't downtown. I guess if the boundaries are arbitrary, than anything can be claimed as part of the territory to make a point and skew and argument to one's favor. The area noted has much more in common with a suburb than an urban downtown.

Since this is 5 or 6 miles out, do you claim that as the radius to claim for downtown and the fringes?

The point is, that at this time downtown is blessed with some good restaurants but so are other areas of town.

7. Default Re: Hill, The

Huh???

Uh... Downtown stretches from 13th to I-40. In a few years it will go to the Oklahoma River. I can't believe we're arguing over this. Everyone who lives in OKC can point to the general area of downtown on a map (even if they think it's all Section 8 and bums), and knows that it's much more than just the office tower core around Park & Robinson.

This is really becoming semantics. All I wanted to do is point out the good news that the news channels are covering downtown's boom in for-sale housing. It's becoming incredibly obvious, Rover, that all you want to do is split hairs and argue over anything..

I am however amused by your latest side bar that downtown's restaurant scene is not unique.

Rover, can you make posts without directly dissing someone in this thread??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_m42vufqWlh1qmxuld.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	2879

Some of the best restaurants in town are in the burbs and not chains. Guess the uneducated title goes to a lot of people if you are speaking of being unaware or just biased.
    Maybe.

(see how I didn't get offended).

Holy Ghost, I came here thinking I'd find some good, new information about The Hill and instead found 2 pages of people arguing about suburban restaurants and name calling.

11. Default Re: Hill, The

Quote Originally Posted by ProV1x View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_m42vufqWlh1qmxuld.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	2879
    That is an awesome graphic btw

Does anyone know who does the landscaping at The Hill?

Huh???

Uh... Downtown stretches from 13th to I-40. In a few years it will go to the Oklahoma River. I can't believe we're arguing over this. Everyone who lives in OKC can point to the general area of downtown on a map (even if they think it's all Section 8 and bums), and knows that it's much more than just the office tower core around Park & Robinson.

This is really becoming semantics. All I wanted to do is point out the good news that the news channels are covering downtown's boom in for-sale housing. It's becoming incredibly obvious, Rover, that all you want to do is split hairs and argue over anything..

I am however amused by your latest side bar that downtown's restaurant scene is not unique.
    "Downtown" used to be even bigger -- going much further west.

14. Default Re: Hill, The

In the 60s, before downtown began to retract for truly the first time, they were talking about expanding downtown west all the way to Penn. String of pearls... and other civic initiatives.

Blog Entries

I can't remember, did the original String of Pearls include any commercial or residential? Seemed like it was trails, equestrian center, etc. There was talk of improvements of Stockyard City, but not related to downtown. The comments were to allow housing areas of all densities to develop along the river, including single family houses. But the areas indicated were essentially the currently planned ones and not extending out west were they?

I can't remember, did the original String of Pearls include any commercial or residential? Seemed like it was trails, equestrian center, etc. There was talk of improvements of Stockyard City, but not related to downtown. The comments were to allow housing areas of all densities to develop along the river, including single family houses. But the areas indicated were essentially the currently planned ones and not extending out west were they?
    All I remember was at the Equestrian Pearl, there was going to be a major 50 million dollar hotel. Designed by an architect from Norman, don't remember the name.

There was never really any commercial or residential considered in the "String of Pearls". Each Pearl was basically a park with a different focus. The Pearls were the Overholser Pearl, State Park Pearl, I240 (really I44 ) Pearl, Sports Center Pearl, Riverfront Pearl, Theme Park Pearl, and Prairie Pearl.

18. Default Re: Hill, The

I love the collected knowledge of this forum...thx Lj

Yeah I don't think it was what we'd call a "public-private partnership" .... Or maybe so

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    All I remember was at the Equestrian Pearl, there was going to be a major 50 million dollar hotel. Designed by an architect from Norman, don't remember the name.
    That name just came to me.......Stan Gralla..... took a couple of days.

Are there any Hill residents active on here? If so, how do you like it? Extremely intriguing opportunity. If everything works out the way I'd like it to over the next 1-2 years, I'll definitely be interested, assuming there are any units left.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Are there any Hill residents active on here?
    Yes, check out the posts by OkieYorker:

http://www.okctalk.com/search.php?searchid=1115813

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    There was never really any commercial or residential considered in the "String of Pearls". Each Pearl was basically a park with a different focus. The Pearls were the Overholser Pearl, State Park Pearl, I240 (really I44 ) Pearl, Sports Center Pearl, Riverfront Pearl, Theme Park Pearl, and Prairie Pearl.
    I recall many off-color jokes about the "string of pearls" necklace proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I see 10 new building permits for the hill. All of these new construction.

These appear to be the south units on NE 1st street. Addresses:

400, 404, 406, 408, 410, 412, 414, 416 NE 1st STREET

418, 420 NE 1st Terrace.

The area in red. (roughly)
    Permits filed for 416-428 NE 1 Terrace in December.

Red is what they are building on now (or will be soon).

Wow - this is going to be one heckuva neighborhood if it develops as planned. Now all we need are some good public schools in the area and downtown OKC should be more than alive and well!

Hi no1cub17! Haven't been on here in a while and saw your post. I have lived at The Hill for a little over a year and a half now. I absolutely love it here (so much that I bought a 2nd unit and kept one as an investment/rental property). I've mentioned in previous posts that living here and being downtown has been amazing. I used to be in a very suburban part of OKC in a larger home and its amazing how the energy of downtown/bricktown/midtown has really made me look forward to my trips back to OKC (I spend my time divided between NYC & OKC each month and have done that for like 12 years now). The neighbors have been great too! I've met several of the people that live here and it's been great making friends right in the complex (super convenient to walk a few steps and have a nice night of food and wine with the neighbors!). There is a really interesting mix of people here....from Young (upper 20 somethings) to older (70+) and every age range in between, which I think makes for a balanced community.

Here's a photo tour of my unit..I thought you might like to see this since the completed units are sold out (the new ones should be done here in the next few months). tour

you can copy & paste this if that link doesn't work:
    http://www.erealtyweb.net/tours/tour...ccspw&i=900278

Cheers!

Thread Information