Widgets Magazine
Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Zoo

Blog Entries

Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    not against it, but just curious if a zoo ampitheatre is a good idea with respect to the animals?

I personally would rather see an ampitheatre near downtown like the new park or along/part of the river. ..

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    I really wish OKC could get a big-time outdoor amphitheater for big tours the summer. Even Rogers, AR has one. The Zoo Amp is ok for what it is, but it is limited. No covered seating, no Live Nation sponsor. It sucks seeing all the big summer shows go to Arkansas, Dallas, and Kansas City, and missing OKC. Not sure if one has ever been discussed.
    Isn’t that what they were trying to create with Lost Lakes? Haven’t heard much about it lately.

Blog Entries

OKC Zoo debuts plans for marine mammal habitat expansion https://kfor.com/news/local/okc-zoo-...tat-expansion/

The new habitat expansion will be located in the eastern section of the park overlooking Zoo Lake and encompass 3.5 acres.

Funding for the expansion was secured through the Zoo’s 1/8-of-a-cent sales tax accrual, approved by Oklahoma City citizens in 1990.

Press release:

OKC ZOO ANNOUNCES PLANS FOR NEW MARINE MAMMAL HABITAT EXPANSION
    October 11, 2022
    As a leader in animal care and wellbeing, the Oklahoma City Zoo and Botanical Garden, is proud to announce plans for its next expansion project, a new marine mammal habitat. Construction will begin Spring 2023 on this premier animal habitat that will be home to the Zoo’s California sea lions, harbor seals and potentially other species. This additional space will provide an expanded and enriched habitat for these coastal animals while creating an exciting opportunity for guests to enjoy them from a fresh perspective.

While the habitat is being constructed, the Zoo’s sea lion family including males Xander, 19, and Cash, 5, and females Piper, 22, Addie, 22, Pearl, 19, Phoenix, 6, and Isla, 4, as well as harbor seals, Liberty, 20, and Bixby, 10, will all be temporarily relocated to other Association of Zoos and Aquariums member zoos and aquariums. The Zoo’s marine mammal caretakers will be shifting to work in other animal areas throughout this transition.

Wildlife fans interested in “sea”ing our marine mammals before they move are encouraged to attend the Zoo’s sea lion presentations occurring at 1 p.m. daily and 10 a.m. on Saturdays and Sundays now through Sunday, October 30. Sea lion presentations will be a featured attraction at the new habitat that will resume once the project is completed in 2025. Additionally, the Zoo’s Wild Encounter experience with sea lions will conclude on Sunday, October 30.

“This is an exciting time of growth and transformation for the OKC Zoo and we are extremely grateful to our guests, members and the community for their continuous support,” said Dr. Dwight Lawson, Zoo executive director/CEO. “Guests will experience a renewed connection to these animals and their habitat as they discover this breathtaking new oasis. Our goal is to inform guests about the importance of protecting and maintaining healthy water sources for all living things while inspiring conservation action.”

This new habitat expansion will be located in the eastern section of the park overlooking Zoo Lake and encompass 3.5 acres including existing sites for the Zoo’s Noble Aquatic Center/Aquaticus, which has been closed to guests since 2017, and Pollinator Garden. With the Pollinator Garden being repurposed for this project, the Zoo is establishing additional pollinator gardens throughout its grounds to replenish habitat for native pollinators.

Design features of the improved marine mammal habitat include an outdoor amphitheater for educational presentations and caretaker chats, beach areas for the animals, “nose-to-nose” views of the sea lions and seals, an interactive sand area for kids, special event space and much more. Guests will be in awe of an 8-foot tall underwater viewing window offering opportunities to watch sea lions and seals swim and glide through the water. Project plans also include reusing and repurposing select materials from existing sites into the new habitat. Funding for the expansion was secured through the Zoo’s 1/8-of-a-cent sales tax accrual, approved by Oklahoma City citizens in 1990.

“We are thrilled to build a brand new, dynamic habitat space for our marine mammal family,” said Sierra Chappell, OKC Zoo’s assistant curator of marine mammals. “Our sea lions and seals will be welcomed back to an innovative space full of opportunities to enhance their overall wellbeing.”

Help send our pinnipeds off in style and make plans to attend one of the weekend sea lion presentations happening now through Sunday, October, 30. Presentations occur at 1 p.m. daily and 10 a.m. on Saturdays and Sundays in the Zoo’s Sea Lion Presentation Stadium. Cost is $5 per person in addition to Zoo admission. Children two and under are free.

Awesome!!

HangryHippo Guest

Sorely needed! Though I hope there’s still an opportunity to view from above. Always found that to be a cool vantage point.

7. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Im guessing they are going to doze out the existing structure? It's been sad for a long time, especially since the dolphins all died out. I can't imagine they would need to move the animals out unless this is where they were going to put it.....

So strange to me that all the money was spent on Acquaticus and it only lasted 30 years and was to the point they just closed it in 2017.

I remember going when it was brand new in 1986.

I know there was bacteria that killed dolphins and they could never figure out the problem but good grief, millions were spent and now it's just going to be bulldozed.

What implication, if any, will this have on a rumored Zoo-backed aquarium at Okana?

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    What implication, if any, will this have on a rumored Zoo-backed aquarium at Okana?
    From what I understand, the OKANA project will not be impacted.

11. Default Re: OKC Zoo

I wonder if the reason they didn't work on the old aquatic habit is the way we treat marine animals now days compared to the 80s? Things like SeaWorld have gone away from keeping animals in certain habitats. Maybe ours was too small or not appropriate to keep animals.

Press release:

OKC ZOO NOMINATED AS BEST ZOO IN THE NATION IN USA TODAY 10BEST 2023 READERS’ CHOICE AWARDS
    Nationwide voting to determine if OKC Zoo earns the distinction of being named America’s BEST ZOO and Oklahoma Trails, BEST ZOO EXHIBIT! Voting is live through Monday, March 6, 2023.

The Oklahoma City Zoo and Botanical Garden recently earned the honor of being nominated for USA Today 10Best 2023 Readers’ Choice Awards in two categories, Best Zoo and Best Zoo Exhibit, Oklahoma Trails, and we are calling on you to help us win! OKC Zoo fans near and far are encouraged to show their support and vote daily for both of the Zoo’s award nominations, Best Zoo and Best Zoo Exhibit, Oklahoma Trails, through Monday, March 6. Vote by vote, we can move the OKC Zoo to the top of both leaderboards to become America’s best! Cast your votes for the OKC Zoo and Oklahoma Trails here:

VOTE FOR OKC ZOO AS BEST ZOO
    VOTE FOR OKC ZOO’S OKLAHOMA TRAILS AS BEST ZOO EXHIBIT

“It’s an incredible honor to be nominated for this year’s 10Best awards,” said Dwight Lawson, OKC Zoo’s executive director/CEO. “Achieving accolades of this caliber would not be possible without the continuous support of all those who visit and care about the OKC Zoo and, of course, vote for us to achieve this top ranking.”

OKC Zoo is Oklahoma’s largest attended cultural attraction, providing opportunities for millions of visitors to connect with wildlife and wild places through world-class habitats and engaging experiences in hopes to inspire conservation action. The Zoo continues to propel exiting growth in all areas including its animal family, commitment to conservation and habitat developments. In 2022, the Zoo celebrated several significant births including three critically endangered species – an Asian elephant calf, Sumatran tiger twins and an okapi calf. Plus, the arrival of four African lion cubs, the first litter born at the Zoo in 15 years, and a chimpanzee infant. Round Up for Conservation, the Zoo’s grassroot program that encourages guests to round up their purchases to the next dollar amount in support of the Zoo’s conservation initiatives, has successfully raised over a million dollars since the program launched in 2011. Construction is nearing completion for Expedition Africa, the Zoo’s latest and largest habitat expansion in its history, slated to open this summer. This enhanced habitat will provide a new home for animals native to the African continent such as giraffe, zebra, wildebeest, honey badger, hyena, meerkat, and more, while offering new and memorable wildlife experiences for guests to enjoy.

Nominated for Best Zoo Exhibit, Oklahoma Trails opened in 2007 and is a favorite destination among OKC Zoo guests to experience. Spanning eight acres, Oklahoma Trails is an immersive, naturalistic habitat where guests can discover the diverse species of animals native to Oklahoma. The habitat is designed to highlight the 11 distinct life zones unique to the Sooner State and the incredible wildlife that call these regions home including alligator, bison, black bear, coyote, elk, mountain lions, rattlesnake, sandhill crane, turkey vulture and more. Grizzly bear brothers, Will and Wiley (20), are two of Oklahoma Trails most well-known ambassadors. The brother bears were orphaned in the Alaska wilderness as cubs and arrived at the Zoo in 2003. This year, we are celebrating two decades of caring for these beloved bears and marking the occasion with a special event this summer.

Participants can vote once a day in each category for the run of the contest. Readers’ Choice Award voting ends Monday, March 6, 2023 and the winners will be announced on 10Best on Friday, March 17.

The Oklahoma City Zoo is in its winter hours and open Thursday through Monday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily with the last entry no later than 4 p.m., and closed to the public on Tuesdays and Wednesdays through Wednesday, February 8. Purchase advance tickets for general admission at www.okczoo.org/tickets. Located at the crossroads of I-44 and I-35, the OKC Zoo is a proud member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, the American Alliance of Museums, Oklahoma City’s Adventure District and an Adventure Road partner. Support your love and passion for wildlife and wild places with a ZOOfriends Membership Passport to the OKC Zoo. There’s a membership level for every kind of explorer with amazing benefits plus, you are supporting the OKC Zoo, its animals, programs and conservation efforts. Memberships can be purchased at okczoo.org/membership.

Stay connected with the Zoo on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linktree and TikTok, and by visiting our blog stories. To learn more about Zoo happenings, call (405) 424-3344 or visit okczoo.org.

This is the plan for the Marine Mammals exhibit:

A pneumatic wave machine is pretty fancy for the critters.

Blog Entries

Also hearing talks of a new Zoo Amphitheater:

KOCO-TV reports: https://www.koco.com/article/oklahom...plans/41597787

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

The mention is of the amphitheater at this exhibit, not the concert venue.

See the plan above.

Does this mean we will be able to walk among the penguins?? How cool

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

nm, Pete's quicker on the trigger than I am.

Blog Entries

Pete and Travelers, appreciate the clarification of the Amphitheater.

I like the expansion, but when will it stop, lol? I have not once been to the Zoo and there was not any construction going on that hinders enjoying the whole zoo. Seems like once they finish one project, they start on another.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I like the expansion, but when will it stop, lol? I have not once been to the Zoo and there was not any construction going on that hinders enjoying the whole zoo. Seems like once they finish one project, they start on another.
    It's because they have a continuous flow of money through getting a slice of all OKC sales tax.

It won't be long before they have rebuilt the entire zoo.

They may have a flow of money from the OKC sales tax but the Zoo has been in desperate need for the makeover it has been going through.

I hope it doesn't stop. The Zoo leadership seems to be consistently looking to improve the experience for the Zoo visitors AND the animals. As we learn more about the animals it's only appropriate that we do everything we can to recreate their natural habitat. When OKC didn't have anything else, we had the Zoo. I put that sales tax vote for the Zoo on par with the passage of Maps as far as improving the lives of OKC residents and civic pride.

The sales tax revenue also helps to keep admission to our Zoo the most cost friendly I've found anywhere. Other Zoo's are often $20 or more per person and the quality is about the same as OKC. It really is a gem.

As for the dolphins dying, a aquatics employee told me that is was related to bacteria in the air from Remington Park, not a problem with the facility. It seems consistent that with this renovation, there is no plan to bring back dolphins.

24. Default Re: OKC Zoo

I so love our zoo. This new addition looks really great. We've been Zoo Friends members for years and I love hearing about anything new going on there. I wish I could still go cover the whole grounds like my wife and I used to.

25. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    That's a good thing! I just wish they had more acreage!

Thread Information