Widgets Magazine
Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Odot

1. Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by ABCOKC View Post
    Well yeah, this Boulevard is happening; it's already half built.

The hope is that if they have less money then maybe in the future they just won't be able to afford to majorly screw up our downtown.
    More likely you'll have incidents like we had in 2004, when a chunk of concrete came off the SH-145 bridge and killed someone driving underneath on I-35.

Default Re: Odot

So now we have every major OkDOT project in OKC looking at being suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    So now we have every major OkDOT project in OKC looking at being suspended.
    Anyway, one reason why oil companies should pay their fair share in taxes is because their heavy vehicles put a lot of wear and tear on roads. Maybe legislators who take money from oil companies would disagree that is true.

If Oklahoma was a well governed state, more and more people moving into the state would not work out meaning less money available for the highway system.

Oklahomans almost always vote back in legislators who have been cutting taxes and funding. So don't be surprised if those legislators think they have been doing something right. I wouldn't be shocked if the majority of the people who voted for them think they did something right, too.

The state really doesn't seem interested in doing anything about the reform as they keep voting down almost any proposal that will generate serious revenue. The sessions coming to an end.

On a side note, it does appear that some steam is being lost across the state. What's with the major lack of new project announcements lately? Quick check on the news board reveals a Target remodel and a new community space center in Bricktown. At least for the time being we have some cool things under construction and a few nice things proposed, but that will only last for about 3-5 years which before you know it will be gone. I sure hope OKC sees some new cool announcements soon.

I sure am not hopeful in the least bit for any cool freeway projects in the metro as I'm worried about the ones the actually under construction. Road projects are good to be optimistic about as the GoBond will the biggest one yet and MAPS is being looked at for road improvements which might or might not go over well with the residents of OKC. I have a feeling it might be a good thing.

I think the entirety of Norman and OU fandom may march straight to the Capitol if the Lindsey Street project is halted and the bridge remains closed indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    I think the entirety of Norman and OU fandom may march straight to the Capitol if the Lindsey Street project is halted and the bridge remains closed indefinitely.
    That was a tactical and smart threat to make the legislature get off their ass.

It's really, really lousy for those Norman merchants.

This needs to be resolved and very quickly.

I've always tried to be optimistic about this state, but it's getting harder and harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I've always tried to be optimistic about this state, but it's getting harder and harder.
    Let's see how it all shakes out before we start this again. Politics is a messy everywhere. They've got time to fix it still.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Let's see how it all shakes out before we start this again. Politics is a messy everywhere. They've got time to fix it still.
    For reasons I'm simply not able to fathom, it seems everyone is operating under a resigned assumption that Fallin will call a special session for the revenue/budget situation. Nothing's happening right now.

I think the 800 lb gorilla in the room is the realization that *somebody's* ox is gonna get gored. Someone's taxes are going up, someones fees are going up, and likely severely. And no one is going to want to have their name featured as the one who sharpened the harpoon on any such legislation.

I think any project that is already started should be completed even if it means a special emergency funding measure.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    For reasons I'm simply not able to fathom, it seems everyone is operating under a resigned assumption that Fallin will call a special session for the revenue/budget situation. Nothing's happening right now.

I think the 800 lb gorilla in the room is the realization that *somebody's* ox is gonna get gored. Someone's taxes are going up, someones fees are going up, and likely severely. And no one is going to want to have their name featured as the one who sharpened the harpoon on any such legislation.
    If that's what it comes too so be it.

I think they'd be surprised what would happen if tax increases went to the ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I agree and totally get that, but it just seems like it's on going. Everytime I see some poll we are at the bottom if it's a good poll or at the top if it's a bad poll. I used to think those areas were always for your states like Mississippi. Things aren't that bad here. Well I think the news flash is we are in that same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's really, really lousy for those Norman merchants.

This needs to be resolved and very quickly.
    isnt that due to the Lindsay St. project from the city of Norman? If so, that won't be affected by this. I'm sure the businesses could stand to have this bridge opened, but I'm willing to guess the city streetscape project is hurting them more than anything right now though that should pay off in higher property values.

If even Lindsey re-opens they will continue to get clobbered without a way on and off the freeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    If even Lindsey re-opens they will continue to get clobbered without a way on and off the freeway.
    And there was this little bit in the NewsOK article:

"A separate but contiguous project is the widening of Lindsey Street from I-35 to Berry Road and drainage improvements to solve recurring flooding problems. Work on that project, scheduled to be completed by November, also is in jeopardy, Norman's Public Works Director Shawn O'Leary said."

"also in jeopardy" doesn't give me a great deal of confidence...

I thought the Lindsey widening and streetscape project was paid entirely from the city of Norman? Is this not the case?

4 days left to address this and other budget items. The elected officials and their supporters embrace the philosophy of Alfred E Neuman when called out on their inability to make the hard choices that come with the job. "What, me worry?"

OkDOT will be holding a meeting to present the preferred alternative for a new interchange on I-40 at Frisco Rd. in Yukon.

https://www.ok.gov/odot/Programs_and.../20170613.html

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I thought the Lindsey widening and streetscape project was paid entirely from the city of Norman? Is this not the case?
    Yes, the widening of Lindsey is supposed to be done with bonds.

http://www.lindseystreetnorman.com/

Budget impasse causes slowdown in road construction contracts

By: Brian Brus The Journal Record May 18, 2017

OKLAHOMA CITY – When Duit Construction Co. won the state Department of Transportation’s contract to repair the interchange at Interstate 240 and I-35, a metaphoric clock started ticking.

The job was high-profile, Jim Duit said, because the area has a history of vehicle accidents. So the $10.6 million contract came with an incentive/penalty clause of $10,000 per day of hitting deadline – if the crews finish grading and surface work early, it means more money; if they finish late, the company loses.

So Duit told his workers they should be ready to start next week. He arranged contracts with manufacturers to make sure construction materials were shipped on time. Those companies, in turn, went to their quarry suppliers and blocked out valuable warehouse space.

Earlier this month, all those clock cogs stopped moving. Transportation Department officials released a list of contracts that had already been awarded and told companies like Duit’s they can’t begin work on about $117 million worth of projects across the state.

“We’re trying to figure out how to compensate,” he said. “We have other targets – we hope we can accelerate other orders, like projects for the Air Force at Tinker (Air Force Base), for example.”

“For over 50 years, we’ve never had a layoff, and we’re really hoping to not let this mar that record,” he said.

On May 2, ODOT officials announced that due to low cash flow from previous state budget years and new cuts threatened by the Legislature, letting new highway construction contracts would be deferred, several previously awarded projects would not be allowed to launch and engineers would find a way to safely suspend work already underway.

By late Thursday, the situation had not changed. State Rep. Glen Mulready, R-Tulsa, told members the night before to prepare for a long weekend of work.

Bobby Stem, Association of General Contractors of Oklahoma executive director, said the local industry is worried about how long the budget crisis will last and is frustrated at the position it leaves them in. On a typical day, there are 19,000 to 21,000 construction workers on Oklahoma roads and bridges, he said, and those people interact with a lot of other businesses. The contract interruptions ODOT announced will result in a 30-percent to 40-percent reduction of workers in the field, Stem said.

And that’s just the effect in the private business sector.

“I think a lot of people believe that all the money that gets pumped into ODOT goes out to construction companies, but you have to remember that every county in the state has an ODOT barn that has to be taken care of first,” Stem said. “Those are the people who keep the roads clear, moving animal carcasses and filling potholes and replacing guardrails.

“This needs to be resolved sooner than later,” he said.

Duit said that depending on the phase of work, he could expect to send about 60 people to work on the I-240/I-35 project each day. The majority of his jobs are wage positions, and no work means no pay.

“The effect is multiplied by manufacturers and suppliers and all the other businesses that support those businesses,” he said. “We’re all scrambling to find a way to make this work.”

Construction won't have to be suspended but they did tap money for future projects so we will likely see another year with very minimal construction added to the 8 year plan.

http://m.news9.com/Story.aspx?story=...69&catId=53065

My guess is that we see SH-74 lane expansion get delayed.

I don't know how I didn't know this until now but, this weekend I was traveling south on Broadway in Edmond and was needing to go east on the Kilpatrick. There is no exit for Kilpatrick eastbound if you're going south on Broadway. You have to go to 122nd and exit, then go under the bridge and enter back onto B'way extension to get to the eastbound exit for the turnpike. How ridiculous is that?

I'm guessing that was an ODOT decision. Do they ever think ahead or plan?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I don't know how I didn't know this until now but, this weekend I was traveling south on Broadway in Edmond and was needing to go east on the Kilpatrick. There is no exit for Kilpatrick eastbound if you're going south on Broadway. You have to go to 122nd and exit, then go under the bridge and enter back onto B'way extension to get to the eastbound exit for the turnpike. How ridiculous is that?

I'm guessing that was an ODOT decision. Do they ever think ahead or plan?
    No. I'm guessing a lot of their planning goes as such:
    Vern: "You think we should add that ramp now, Bob?"
    Bob: "Nah, Vern, we can do that later. Nobody will need one going that direction."
    Bob and Vern chuckle heartily.

Thread Information