Widgets Magazine
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: OKC Energy FC

Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    The North American Soccer League (NASL) folded 1984; the Tulsa Roughnecks won the Soccer Bowl '83. None of the NASL teams were profitable. The Roughnecks were among the NASL attendance leaders throughout the years they were in the league. The NASL peaked in 1980.

Listed below are the attendance figures for the Tulsa Roughnecks 1978-1984:

1978 - 11,256 (13,084)
    1979 - 16,426 (14,201)
    1980 - 19,787 (14,443)
    1981 - 17,188 (14,084)
    1982 - 14,554 (13,155)
    1983 - 12,415 (13,258)
    1984 - 7,797 (10,759)
    (League average)

Source: » Attendance Project: NASL

Major League Soccer (MSL) is currently the highest level of soccer in the U.S. & Canada followed by the North American Soccer League (NASL) and the United Soccer League (USL-Pro).
    MLS is already much older, and much more successful than the original NASL ever was. Next year will be the 20th year of operation.
    And those numbers were really good for that league. They would TERRIBLE numbers for MLS. Here are some of the top teams from the past year:
    Seattle - 43,122
    Toronto - 22,019
    LA Galaxy - 21,961
    Portland - 20,803
    Vancouver- 20,760
    Kansas City-20,067

I was a big Roughnecks fan back in the day. There were two things that killed them; The whole league going under, and the USFL coming to Tulsa. As soon as pro football came to town, their attendance went in the toilet.

Blog Entries

Tulsa's attendance figures were good for a league that went down. IIRC they won the Soccer Bowl in 1983 with a 2-0 in over Toronto in Vancouver B.C. Roughnecks averaged 13,000 in '83 the year they won the Soccer Bowl. Their banner year was in 1980 with an average attendance of 20,000.

Good point, Bouchard about the USFL's move into T-town that took its toll on the popularity of the NASL along with Tulsa Roughnecks' attendance.

Tulsa World ran a story about building a 65,000-seat stadium dubbed the Oklahoma Dome in Tulsa if the USFL were to become a success. The league just didn't have the financial backing to sustain itself long term.

1984 preliminary efforts to build a domed stadium in Oklahoma City:

That is what the OKC Chamber of Commerce did Tuesday morning by calling for a study that would tell us if it's both wise and prudent to build a new stadium. Chamber chairman Gerald R. Marshall pointed out the new football stadium not only could provide a place for the Outlaws to play, but also could be the new home of the National Finals Rodeo, OKC's one international sports event that everyone in town is interested in keeping...

...The city of Indianapolis, unlike Oklahoma City, had no client waiting when it built the Hoosier Dome. The citizens of that city built their stadium on faith. Faith that a team would come along to use it.
    It Could Hurt, But Dome May Be a Good Buy | News OK

The USFL Oklahoma Outlaws tried to secure a lease at OU's Memorial Stadium. The OKC Chamber was in favor of a feasibility study to build a domed stadium in Oklahoma City if Memorial Stadium could be used as a temporary home. We were in jeopardy of losing the NFR to Las Vegas.

Blog Entries

Congratulations to the Oklahoma City Energy FC

The United Soccer Leagues honored teams and executives in a ceremony Friday night in Clearwater, Florida. Oklahoma City Energy FC earned one award, Rookie Franchise of the Year.
    USL Pro: Energy FC earns Rookie Franchise of the Year | News OK

The new Eastern & Western Conference format came out. Nice to see us with an additional home & home vs. Tulsa & Austin, plus the home & home with St. Louis.
    USL PRO 2015 Conference Alignment and Scheduling Format | Reckless Challenge
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USL PRO 2015 MAP.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	9780
    edited to add link

USL Pro is applying for Tier 2 sanctioning from the USSF, and you can bet that the MLS is behind the efforts. That development will be very interesting to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by C. B. View Post
    The new Eastern & Western Conference format came out. Nice to see us with an additional home & home vs. Tulsa & Austin, plus the home & home with St. Louis.
    USL PRO 2015 Conference Alignment and Scheduling Format | Reckless Challenge
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USL PRO 2015 MAP.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	9780
    edited to add link
    It would be interesting to see how much less travel miles the East teams has verses the West teams, it looks like it could be a big number over the course of the entire season.

Energy FC
    Breaking News: STATEMENT FROM GENERAL MANAGER JASON HAWKINS
    "We are stunned by the news today of murder charges being filed against OKC Energy FC assistant coach Chris Spendlove in England stemming from an altercation involving several individuals on Friday, December 19. The incident resulted in the death of an off-duty law enforcement officer. Details of the incident will be forthcoming as the matter winds its way through England's legal system including the extent in which Chris was involved. Given the seriousness of the charges, we have made the decision to dismiss Chris from the organization. That said, we are deeply saddened by the news of the incident and our hearts go out to the family of the police officer who lost his life. We are also disheartened for Chris. As an assistant coach, he was always professional and conducted himself in a proper and respectful manner. Our thoughts are also with him and his family during this difficult time."

Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    Energy FC
    What a way for Bob Funk Jr and Prodigal to get their precious soccer team in the news right after destroying the Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by GoOKC1991 View Post
    What a way for Bob Funk Jr and Prodigal to get their precious soccer team in the news right after destroying the Barons.
    low brow comment

nm

Quote Originally Posted by GoOKC1991 View Post
    Something tells me Prodigal had very little joy in this announcement involving staff from their soccer team..

Should we start another thread for OKC Energy FC 2015 season

14. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

I'm pretty disappointed that we haven't heard anything about their own stadium yet.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    I'm pretty disappointed that we haven't heard anything about their own stadium yet.
    Taft Stadium?

16. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

That's not their long term stadium. They planned to be in their own stadium in 3 years. Taft is owned by OKCPS.

That's not their long term stadium. They planned to be in their own stadium in 3 years. Taft is owned by OKCPS.
    Well, it's still a nice upgrade for OKCPS.

18. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Well, it's still a nice upgrade for OKCPS.
    That's fine, and part of my point. I'm wondering when they are going to move into their own for their own sake and so that OKCPS can have full use of their stadium back.

unless the stadium is in Maps 4 or whatever Maps we are on, I doubt we get a soccer stadium built. I wish and hope I am wrong but just don't see someone building a nice 10k outdoor soccer stadium with their own money. And please do not let the idea of getting an MLS team sway you, we wont be getting an expansion team anytime soon (edit- unless oil goes to $120 a barrel). That ship has sailed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    unless the stadium is in Maps 4 or whatever Maps we are on, I doubt we get a soccer stadium built. I wish and hope I am wrong but just don't see someone building a nice 10k outdoor soccer stadium with their own money. And please do not let the idea of getting an MLS team sway you, we wont be getting an expansion team anytime soon (edit- unless oil goes to $120 a barrel). That ship has sailed.
    You are correct you probably won't see any private entity building a stadium on their own.

There will be a chance that if USL-Pro soccer does have a bountiful year (2015) there could be a push for a private-public partnership to get some kind of stadium added to the MAPS IV - 2017 initiative.

1990 - MAPS 1 $350 million
    2001 - MAPS for KIDS: $700 million
    2008 - MAPS for HOOPS: $110 million
    2008 - MAPS 3 $777 million
    9 items make the cut . Item #10 Football Stadium did not get on the proposal.

MAPS IV initiative could range from $800 million to $1 billion.

Oklahoma City MSA Population 2000-2010 and three year estimates 2010-2013 (66,690) growth (1,319,677 up from 1,252,987):

2000 - 1,095,421
    2010 - 1,252,987 (+157,566) 15,757 annual growth
    Largest Metropolitan Areas | Fastest Growing Metros | Census 2000 - Census Population Housing Change

2010 - 1,252,987 (Estimates)
    2011 - 1,276,416 (+23,429)
    2012 - 1,297,397 (+20,981)
    2013 - 1,319,677 (+22,280) 22,230 annual growth estimate
    Metros 2013 | Largest Metropolitan Areas | Fastest Growing Metros | Metropolitan Area Demographic Economic Characteristics and Change

21. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

USL Pro restructure -> United Soccer Leagues (USL)

I'm not sure how I feel about all of the MLS 2 teams. What a generic way to name a development team.

Blog Entries

USL Pro restructure -> United Soccer Leagues (USL)

I'm not sure how I feel about all of the MLS 2 teams. What a generic way to name a development team.
    MLS will take a page from the Major League Baseball (PCL & IL) and the National Basketball Association (NBADL) farm system playbooks. Regional rivalries should cut down on costs.

OKC Energy FC (Taft Stadium) vs. Tulsa Roughnecks (ONEOK Field) will be a great rivalry (close rival cities) as both will have access to more than 7,500 seats.

23. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Energy FC Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    Energy FC
    Spendlove cleared of all charges!

PC Neil Doyle trial: Two men guilty of manslaughter - Liverpool Echo

Thread Information