Widgets Magazine
Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    It's not so much OTA becoming interoperable with EZPass as EZPass getting with 21st century technology and becoming interoperable with OTA. They still use those velcro transponders from 20 years ago.
    Yeah I agree EZPass is a dinosaur.

2. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

So it's with the judge now. But if the judge doesn't agree with the OTA, then the whole thing is in jeopardy. We keep hearing that and the OTA keeps surviving. So i guess we'll find out shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    So it's with the judge now. But if the judge doesn't agree with the OTA, then the whole thing is in jeopardy. We keep hearing that and the OTA keeps surviving. So i guess we'll find out shortly.
    this is the open meetings act law suit ... it would not put anything in jeopardy

this is the open meetings act law suit ... it would not put anything in jeopardy

the bond issue arguments go before the Oklahoma Supreme Court next week and if validated the OTA can issue 500 mil in bonds and start construction on ACCESS Oklahoma ..

5. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

All of it is related. If they invalidate the open meeting act, it means the entire plan has to be started over before it can proceed. Following the proper process, so yet it does put things in jeopardy. Doing it through the open process now that everyone knows the plans, means that everything about the plan has to be re-evaluated properly. That will cost money in surveys, engineering plans, etc. Not to mention that the route may change, which creates more expense for evaluation.

The bond is similarly an issue. Without funding, how is it going to get built? OTA doesn't have 500 Million in reserves (and it better freaking not or we have a problem). I dont know if the OTA is able to take out a loan, but i dont think so???? And i wouldn't want them to be able to either. It's not the approved way the money is supposed to be used.

All of it is related. If they invalidate the open meeting act, it means the entire plan has to be started over before it can proceed. Following the proper process, so yet it does put things in jeopardy. Doing it through the open process now that everyone knows the plans, means that everything about the plan has to be re-evaluated properly. That will cost money in surveys, engineering plans, etc. Not to mention that the route may change, which creates more expense for evaluation..
    i am not sure that this is an accurate read on the situation ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i am not sure that this is an accurate read on the situation ..
    Hopefully the courts make the right decision so the OTA can put this crap to rest and get on with these projects.

8. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Hopefully the courts make the right decision so the OTA can put this crap to rest and get on with these projects.
    Hopefully the courts make the right decision so those of us directly affected by this cash grab can put this crap to rest and get on with our lives as they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    Hopefully the courts make the right decision so those of us directly affected by this cash grab can put this crap to rest and get on with our lives as they are now.
    Perhaps living inside of a major metropolitan area isn’t for you. Have you considered moving out to the wonderful Hollis, Oklahoma. Virtually zero percent chance a turnpike is built by you and you can live in your own little NIMBY bubble as long as you’d like.

Oh, and I got news for you, whether this tollway is or isn’t built, get ready for the traffic because it’s coming.

10. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Perhaps living inside of a major metropolitan area isn’t for you. Have you considered moving out to the wonderful Hollis, Oklahoma. Virtually zero percent chance a turnpike is built by you and you can live in your own little NIMBY bubble as long as you’d like.

Oh, and I got news for you, whether this tollway is or isn’t built, get ready for the traffic because it’s coming.

Traffic on Indian Hills? Only if it's induced.

Traffic on Indian Hills? Only if it's induced.
    Drive indian hills between i35 and sooner, any weekday at 5. That traffic is there. Not to mention Franklin, Tecumseh, Robinson, and even parts of 34th in Moore.

12. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    Drive indian hills between i35 and sooner, any weekday at 5. That traffic is there. Not to mention Franklin, Tecumseh, Robinson, and even parts of 34th in Moore.
    I live off Indian Hills, but thanks for letting me know.

lol you mean that decision that you want ..

legally the OTA has the right to do this ... and the courts will see that ..

I think the link between Newcastle and Moore/Norman has been needed for a while now.
    I do not at all understand the eastern route between Norman and the lake. I'm assuming it's to bypass tribal land east of T-bird?
    I'm still at a loss as to how a non governmental organization (OTA) has eminent domain power? Or, is it just assumed that the state will take what the OTA needs and give it to the OTA?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Martin View Post
    I think the link between Newcastle and Moore/Norman has been needed for a while now.
    I do not at all understand the eastern route between Norman and the lake. I'm assuming it's to bypass tribal land east of T-bird?
    I'm still at a loss as to how a non governmental organization (OTA) has eminent domain power? Or, is it just assumed that the state will take what the OTA needs and give it to the OTA?
    Where do you get that OTA isn't a governmental organization?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Martin View Post
    Uh, uh, ummm...Not sure how to tell you this, but...

This is taken from the OTA website,
    What is the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority
    The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority (OTA) is an instrumentality of the State of Oklahoma (the State) and a body corporate and politic created by statute in 1947. The Authority is authorized to construct, maintain, repair and operate turnpike projects at locations authorized by the Legislature of the State of Oklahoma and approved by the State Department of Transportation.
    The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority is similar to a public utility, providing a needed, basic service at a fee that yields a return to its investors. The Authority must generate sufficient revenues to operate and maintain its roads at a high quality while covering the interest and principal payments owed to bondholders (investors) who have purchased its revenue bonds.

The Authority consists of the Governor (ex-officio) and six members serving without pay for eight-year terms from districts established in the State Statute. The Governor may remove any member of the Authority, at any time, with or without cause. The members are appointed to represent defined geographical districts. Authority members have full control over all turnpike operations; however, the OTA must operate in strict compliance with trust agreements that define operating procedures to be followed. The Authority employs an Executive Director to manage the day-to-day operations. The Executive Director is appointed by the Authority’s Board.

The OTA receives no state appropriation and none of the money raised by tolls is given back to the state. My understanding from reading this is that the organization is granted it's power by the state but is not an official state agency. If they were at state agency we would be able to see who the bond holders are and the terms of the bonds. This is one of the points of contention for the folks who are fighting the current proposal.

This last bit taken from the OTA site is pretty interesting,
    In addition to providing this responsibility to the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority, limitations were placed on the selection of toll road locations. It is the sole discretion of the Oklahoma Legislature to authorize projects considered for construction by the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority. Originally, fourteen toll road projects were approved. Today, there are 32 toll road projects authorized by Title 69, Section 1705.

I thought that the OTA governing board was who approved the projects. Does this sentence mean that the Oklahoma Legislature was previously briefed and approved recent and proposed construction? If so that seems like news to all of the legislators in the Norman area.

Blog Entries

The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority (OTA) is an instrumentality of the State of Oklahoma (the State) and a body corporate and politic created by statute in 1947. The Authority is authorized to construct, maintain, repair and operate turnpike projects at locations authorized by the Legislature of the State of Oklahoma and approved by the State Department of Transportation.
    The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority is similar to a public utility, providing a needed, basic service at a fee that yields a return to its investors
    So OTA is similar to a city water department. Still government.

Similar is the key word for me. I don't know of a government agency who's purpose is to "yield a return to it's investors". IMO if they were an official government agency the concern would be for the citizens, not the investors/bond holders who are mentioned numerous times on the OTA site.
    However, my opinion could be clouded by my disdain of paying way too much $ just to drive to Tulsa.

The relevant section of the authorization is found in subsection 20 of 69-1705:

(20) All or any part of an Oklahoma City Outer Loop expressway system beginning in the vicinity of I-35 and the Turner Turnpike and extending west into Canadian County and then south to I-40; and then south and east to I-35 in the vicinity of Moore and Norman; and then extending east and north to I-40 east of Tinker Field; and then extending north to the Turner Turnpike to complete the Outer Loop.

For the past two or three years, OTA and ODOT have been moved under the same Transportation cabinet and both ran by Tim Gatz. "Yield a return to investors" is talking about bond holders. It would be like if ODOT was actually allowed to issue bonds to fully complete projects. If Oklahoma actually allowed this, Norman residents would be fighting with ODOT than OTA. Only difference is that the bonds are paid with tolls instead of tax money.

So really Access Oklahoma is Governor Stitt approved initiative to generate economic activity. There is no corporate boogeyman profiting from tolls.

^^^^ very well said! I had something typed up but I didn’t have the words to say it that good so I deleted it.

The OTA Supreme Court hearing will be streamed at this video at 10 am this morning:

So this court date apparently is wasn’t any major one as this article states they haven’t set a date on when a decision will be made.

https://kfor.com/news/local/turnpike...supreme-court/

So this court date apparently is wasn’t any major one as this article states they haven’t set a date on when a decision will be made.

https://kfor.com/news/local/turnpike...supreme-court/
    it was the oral arguments before the Oklahoma supreme court .. it was the big court date .. they will issue their decision in their own time ..

Thread Information