Widgets Magazine
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    Every time I see a state vehicle or a state sign, I shake my head that we used a Clipart image from the 1998 CD ROM of CorelDraw as our state logo.

Unpopular opinion but I don't hate the logo. That said, I think everything related to this olympics should focus as heavily as possible on Oklahoma City, rather than the state of Oklahoma. Similar to the Thunder intentionally being the OKC Thunder rather than the OK Thunder, this should be a celebration of the strides our city has made to get to this point, not the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    Unpopular opinion but I don't hate the logo. That said, I think everything related to this olympics should focus as heavily as possible on Oklahoma City, rather than the state of Oklahoma. Similar to the Thunder intentionally being the OKC Thunder rather than the OK Thunder, this should be a celebration of the strides our city has made to get to this point, not the state.
    Especially since the OKC Chamber is taking the financial risk, the people of OKC have paid for the facilities that made this possible (similar to the Thunder), and because OKC will be putting even more money into all this. I do think the state will come up with some money, but city residents have already made most of the investment. Few realize the city subsidizes Riversport to the tune of $5 million a year.

Any success in OKC is almost in spite of the rest of the state dragging us down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Any success in OKC is almost in spite of the rest of the state dragging us down.
    Preach.

Especially since the OKC Chamber is taking the financial risk, the people of OKC have paid for the facilities that made this possible (similar to the Thunder), and because OKC will be putting even more money into all this. I do think the state will come up with some money, but city residents have already made most of the investment. Few realize the city subsidizes Riversport to the tune of $5 million a year.

I doubt the official media recommendation for location was ever going to be anything other than Oklahoma City, the Olympics seem strict on sticking with city names, with the other reference to location recommended while talking about events here as being part of the LA games in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I doubt the official media recommendation for location was ever going to be anything other than Oklahoma City, the Olympics seem strict on sticking with city names, with the only other reference while talking about events here as being part of the LA games in general.
    Right, just saying that the only reason this is happening at all is due to OKC investing in itself, as well as the efforts of Mayor Holt (tight with LA28 leader Garcetti) and Mike Knopp (built relationships with the international canoe/kayak community).

The State had zero to do with any of this, at least as far as I know.

Really, think about where Oklahoma would be without the heroic efforts of OKC. I wish OKC could secede from the state and just do our own thing.

7. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Amen!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Should be OKC's official slogan.

Blog Entries

Multiple Locations Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

5,000,000%. Without OKC's metro growth, the tribes, and to a much lesser extent, the Tulsa metro area, this state would be circling the drain. It's the Oklahoma City Thunder. It will be the LA Olympics hosted in Oklahoma City.

Between the 2010 and 2020 census, Oklahoma grew by 208,000.

During the same period, the OKC MSA grew by 173,000. Pretty much says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    5,000,000%. Without OKC's metro growth, the tribes, and to a much lesser extent, the Tulsa metro area, this state would be circling the drain. It's the Oklahoma City Thunder. It will be the LA Olympics hosted in Oklahoma City.
    Tinker's growth and importance has a ton to do with the County and the State .. and it is huge for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Tinker's growth and importance has a ton to do with the County and the State .. and it is huge for OKC
    Oklahoma County bought the old GM plant and that was a huge part of the growth. And the City owns all the surrounding land where the rest of the expansion has happened and is planned.

The state offered some incentives and the City and County many more, but almost all the major funding came at the federal level. I realize local politicians helped secure that funding.

Oklahoma County bought the old GM plant and that was a huge part of the growth. And the City owns all the surrounding land where the rest of the expansion has happened and is planned.

The state offered some incentives and the City and County many more, but almost all the major funding came at the federal level. I realize local politicians helped secure that funding.
    agree ... and you are correct about the federal role ... I for sure was including that in the state effort..

Wow. Pretty amazing statistic. Would have thought it would have been more evenly split between OKC and Tulsa.

When is the City of LA approving the venue changes that move events from within the City of LA to here? Are there concerns the City of LA won't approve?

Quote Originally Posted by john60 View Post
    When is the City of LA approving the venue changes that move events from within the City of LA to here? Are there concerns the City of LA won't approve?
    I'm very sure it's just a formality.

Quote Originally Posted by john60 View Post
    Sure they will approve it. By doing so it will save them approximately 150 million dollars.

Blog Entries

And Tulsa grew by 78,000. Not as fast as OKC, but certainly not nothing.

The rest of the state lost 43,000 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    And Tulsa grew by 78,000. Not as fast as OKC, but certainly not nothing.

The rest of the state lost 43,000 people.
    The Tulsa MSA has been growing at about the same rate as the entire country, half of which is rural.

Without OKC, the entire state would be growing much slower than the national average.

Yes, this does literally say it all. It's weird though how people twist themselves into pretzels on this board trying to find bizarre framing to argue that Tulsa is keeping pace.

The Tulsa MSA has been growing at about the same rate as the entire country, half of which is rural.

Without OKC, the entire state would be growing much slower than the national average.
    Plus their growth may look better on stats due to some of the counties around them started being included in the MSA officially in the last few years.

Blog Entries

This is simply false.

2020 to 2023 the US growth rate was 1.0%

Tulsa's MSA growth rate was 2.9%, nearly triple the national rate. OKC was at 3.66%.

Tulsa ranked 15th highest in growth rate out of the 54 MSAs with more than a million people. OKC was 12th.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    This is simply false.

2020 to 2023 the US growth rate was 1.0%

Tulsa's MSA growth rate was 2.9%, nearly triple the national rate. OKC was at 3.66%.

Tulsa ranked 15th highest in growth rate out of the 54 MSAs with more than a million people. OKC was 12th.
    I'm using hard census data, not short-term estimates.

25. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

and the fact that I argued (and got crucified), that Tulsa's MSA is as large area wise as OKC's CSA. I know that includes Osage County, the state's largest by area and least dense; but OKC's MSA also includes Lincoln County (large and not dense) as well. And even if you dropped Osage, Tulsa's MSA would still be larger than OKC's MSA in area. Anyways.

173,000 is a factor of 2.2 over 78,000, meaning OKC's Metro growth was more than double Tulsa's during the last census decade. Don't even talk about city. It's not keeping pace (but in fairness, they are adding at the natl avg which does help offset the loss in the rest of the state).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information