Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 161718192021

Thread: Sunset Amphitheater

Default Re: Sunset Amphitheater

Yeah, I, literally, didn't know anyone who thought this would go through. From the pitch of lifetime pits to being in Mustang. The people who lived over there didn't want it and it was sketchy to begin with. This might work in Chisholm Creek, but I am sure the neighborhood behind it would not like it either.

If citizens can thwart this along an interstate in Mustang, how on earth are they going to get approval elsewhere?

The precedent has been set by City Council to deny based on noise and traffic. And suburban communities are bound to be even less accepting.

3. Default Re: Sunset Amphitheater

Just saw Lord Huron at Red Rocks a couple of months ago, and saw Flaming Lips and Ween there in the mid-aughts. Literally nothing compares, and I've been to a number of really great venues all over the country, including other wonderful amphitheaters in other markets. Other historic venues also. Red Rocks is a unicorn, and always will be. Suggesting you'll compare favorably is ridiculous. You could be better by far than the very best venue not named Red Rocks and you'd still be a mile short.

The Hollywood Bowl and The Greek in L.A. are both amazing, as is the Santa Barbara Bowl.

A huge part of that is the perfectly beautiful SoCal evenings year-round.

They are all built into substantial hillsides which is why they are so special, and it also helps contain noise. Flatland amphitheaters will always be limited because the slope has to be manufactured, isn't nearly as dramatic as in these natural settings, and the result is that most of the seats are just too far from the stage in a completely artificial atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Hollywood Bowl and The Greek in L.A. are both amazing, as is the Santa Barbara Bowl.

They are all built into substantial hillsides which is why they are so special, and it also helps contain noise. Flatland amphitheaters will always be limited because the slope has to be manufactured, isn't nearly as dramatic as in these natural settings, and the result is that most of the seats are just too far from the stage in a completely artificial atmosphere.
    Sounds like building in the side of a "Trash Mountain" might work. Especially if it were long...looooong...term planned

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

The crazy thing about the Hollywood Bowl is how good it is despite how big it is. Usually, with amphitheaters over 10k, the back half is worthless and you feel more like you're on the outside looking in than actually being at the show ( the lawn at Shoreline sucks). The Greek, Red Rocks, and the SB bowl are all under 10k and I think that helps a lot.

If there is any chance of an amphitheater in OKC being built on a natural slope, it'd be on the east side, which of course is where the zoo amp already is. I'm not sure if its slope is 100% natural, but judging by Lincoln Park, it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

^

The Hollywood Bowl is actually pretty darn steep, which is why even with that capacity, the seats in the back are still pretty good. Also a significant slope helps capture the sound.

Sunset was to be almost as big on a very slight grade. I raised this big negative very early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Just saw Lord Huron at Red Rocks a couple of months ago, and saw Flaming Lips and Ween there in the mid-aughts. Literally nothing compares, and I've been to a number of really great venues all over the country, including other wonderful amphitheaters in other markets. Other historic venues also. Red Rocks is a unicorn, and always will be. Suggesting you'll compare favorably is ridiculous. You could be better by far than the very best venue not named Red Rocks and you'd still be a mile short.
    Just saw Pretty Lights at RR Aug 2nd and 3rd and don't disagree RR is a gem! Without a doubt one of the most special places to see live music. (have seen a few other shows there as well)

Just curious though have you ever been to The Gorge in Washington State? It is also an exceptional place to see music! We are very lucky to have such places in this beautiful enormous country!

The Gorge beats Red Rocks for sure. Red Rocks is just nice because it is so close to civilization - very easy to get into and out of.

I always thought the backside of the FAM hill would be a nice spot for an outdoor venue:

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Sounds like building in the side of a "Trash Mountain" might work. Especially if it were long...looooong...term planned
    I had this thought too! Especially after seeing the olympic mountain bike course in Paris this year that was built on an old landfill

I've been to Red Rocks with no concert ongoing and it is breathtaking as a venue unto itself. Absolutely stunning.

I have been to Red Rocks with no concert and I went just last week to a concert. If you are a fan of live music, Red Rocks should be on your bucket list. I was not even a huge fan of the band, The Head and the Heart, but I have heard a few of their songs on Spectrum on Sirius XM so I knew I liked them well enough. However, I just went for the experience. BTW, The Head and the Heart is pretty good live.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    The Gorge beats Red Rocks for sure. Red Rocks is just nice because it is so close to civilization - very easy to get into and out of.

I always thought the backside of the FAM hill would be a nice spot for an outdoor venue:

With no disrespect meant, you are 100% wrong. No doubt The Gorge is a top notch facility and has a beautiful background but Red Rocks has natural sandstone acoustics from walls that are hard to believe aren't somehow man made. Couple this with the city lights below and 2 months of almost-nightly lightning storms on the eastern plains, it's impossible to beat it.

Yes, it's smaller than some venues, volumes are limited due to nearby homes, and shows end fairly early but nothing beats the musical experience.

The related amphitheatre in Colorado Springs just opened and is already getting noise complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    Well, the BA site is in full swing at least. The state and city are pitching in a ton of funds for it though, and they were pretty much given a great land deal to secure it. A lot of this operation seems to be aimed at drawing out these sweetheart deals. I guess that is why every development seems so over the top now? Over promise and under deliver is a sure fire way to make money in the short term.
    Crossland Construction has been actively moving dirt for the past month in BA

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    The related amphitheatre in Colorado Springs just opened and is already getting noise complaints.
    There are always people who complain about any changes in their life.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Friend of mine from eastern Washington used to work at the Gorge, she has been to Red Rocks a few times and Likes RR more. Better sound she says.

I like the Rock and Roll museum inside Red Rocks myself.... All the great bands have played there.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Given that there are even more homes surrounding the proposed west okc location. The city probably made a good choice shooting this down. The argument at Colorado Springs is that they are exceeding the allowed dB limit that was set.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Interesting they are contending with both city and state statutes. Not sure if Oklahoma has state noise ordinances.

Thread Information