Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: REHCO / Former Downtown Ford site

Default Re: REHCO Land

Paycom Arena already has most of the features of the latest/greatest basketball venues.

The throw-away of the last generation of arenas was mainly due to the lack of suites and other amenities that we already have, and more will be added through MAPS 4.

I seriously doubt we'll need an entirely new arena for at least 20 years and maybe beyond.

The Midtown Renaissance / Fred Jones partnership that owns this land has done nothing but fantastic development in the core, and when the time is right I'm sure we'll see a great mixed-use development on this site.

^ Forgive me for my ignorance and if it's already been mentioned, but what is that black asphalt strip near the streetcar track towards the bottom? I walked from Scissortail towards the Myriad Gardens for a show Saturday evening and I wondered about it. Didn't seem like a sidewalk to me, more like a walking/biking trail but maybe I'm wrong.

Blog Entries

it's a pedestrian path, which is cool, but also odd since there's a pretty wide sidewalk opposite the tracks

Super weird that they laid it down as asphalt instead of concrete to match the other sidewalks in the area. The pedestrian path over in the park have a purpose and are a good walking surface, this doesn't go anywhere you would want a good walking surface for.

Blog Entries

If you look in the middle right of the photo, it exists up there, too, so I guess maybe they're going around the whole thing, or at least 3 of the 4 sides...

7. Default Re: REHCO Land

does the REHCO lands qualify to be a parking crater, OKC's largest?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

Is this the land between scissortail and myriad gardens?

What is the plan for this land?

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post

Yes.

Nothing planned yet. Owned by the Fred Jones group and Midtown Renaissance, so they'll eventually do some thing high-quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post

All you need to do is look at the first post of this thread, and see how long that was ago. So I wouldn't get your hopes up.

A seasonal snow cone stand across from Spark would be an improvement.

I suspect they will hold off until a possible new arena is built or at least announced/financed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes.

Nothing planned yet. Owned by the Fred Jones group and Midtown Renaissance, so they'll eventually do some thing high-quality.
    Why don’t they just sell it to someone who will actually do something with it now? Are they just trying to hold on til it’s more valuable?

Yes, I’m being facetious.

If it ever does get developed it won't be by the current owners. The next owner will do it though.

I think a lot of people would settle for a little landscaping on the Ford site if they're going to take their time with it. It's in the middle of downtown with public investment all around it, and it looks terrible.

16. Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    If it ever does get developed it won't be by the current owners. The next owner will do it though.
    Ridiculous statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Ridiculous statement.
    The first post in this thread was 13 years ago. If they were going to do it themselves they would have done it by now.

18. Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

Yet another ridiculous statement.

Completely ignores the patient and calculated and deliberative nature of the development to date by this group, which in aggregate is probably the most impressive grouping of urban projects in the past decade. Add in the fact that the developers behind Jones Assembly, 21C and West Village would also likely be involved, and you have some of the most effective, patient capital this city has ever seen.

^
    I think that is the point Just The Facts is trying to make. With the great track record from this group why let the best real estate in all of OKC sit in despair as a parking lot? Its been 13 years since they officially announced something on this site, so no something is not right.

20. Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

They officially announced something, and then the convention center discussion and dealings with the city changed everything.

I’m certain that the main reason behind any pause now is that two super blocks immediately adjacent are in massive flux, positioning for once-in-a-generation change involving public money, a likely vote of the people, and a need to ensure the Thunder remains across the street, which is not a given. A secondary reason is surely that they are concentrating their development focus on a different part of downtown.

On one hand I find it remarkable how entitled folks feel to demand that someone develop a property even when the highest and best use had yet to be made 100% obvious due to outside, developing factors.

But I’m also surprised how few people here appreciate how massively unsettled the future currently is for those two super locks on the east side of Robinson. Again, generational change is likely, and a move without knowing the outcome would be foolhardy. These guys are better positioned than almost anyone in OKC to know this.

21. Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

And again, the national office market is chaotic right now and probably headed for a sea change before things are sorted out. If office was going to be a part of any planned development it would DEFINITELY warrant a wait-and-see approach.

^

I agree with everything you are saying about this property.

Beyond the Halls and Midtown Renaissance group doing the absolute best commercial development in the core and on a large scale, they both genuinely care about OKC and urbanist principles.

I love new development more than anyone but in this instance, I'm happy to patiently wait until the time is right for them to do something fantastic on this site. It's the most important private parcel in the entire city.

If it doesn’t wind up being multiple 20+ story towers then the future development will be a massive failure. /s

Make excuses for whatever. But the fact remains this is the most prime real estate in all of OKC and it been sitting vacant for decades. They are sitting on the property and just raking in money from the parking contract they have with the Thunder. Office does not have to be part of this development at all. A mix of hotel, housing, and retail would be perfect. But again who am I right, I just call it like I see it. Same with the Goodwill property and Lumberyard.

Too bad Randy Hogan and company didn't own this property would love to see his Dream Hotel project on this site vs. Bricktown.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Too bad Randy Hogan and company didn't own this property would love to see his Dream Hotel project on this site vs. Bricktown.
    If he owned it there would already be something like Bass Pro and a bunch of 1-story buildings and acres of surface parking, just like Lower Bricktown.

Also, Hogan has owned that Dream parking lot for 26 years.

Thread Information