Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Devon Park (Softball Hall of Fame)

Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    ^^ you can’t share a stadium between softball and baseball. The dimensions are way to different. You would just have two facilities like there already is they would both just be in the core. They don’t compete against each other as they accommodate completely different sports.
    This is why every single high school -- no matter how poor -- has separate baseball and softball diamonds.

Could a new softball stadium be the solution to the Producers Coop site?

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Could a new softball stadium be the solution to the Producers Coop site?
    Waaaay too much public investment in the Hall of Fame stadium.

Plus, you really need a full softball complex for big events because you need practice and warm-up fields.

Softball fields are relatively small. You could fit the entire softball complex (all 4 fields) in the current cox center footprint. 4 fields plus the HOF and the USA softball headquarters could fit on the Coop site and still wouldn’t come close to filling up the property.

Even the economic claims about how much downtown major sports stadiums/arenas impact an area are questionable, compared to normal downtown infill projects, adding in multiple practice fields is getting pretty sure to be worse.

Yeah not everything needs to be downtown. Keep the arena where it’s at.

Softball fields are relatively small. You could fit the entire softball complex (all 4 fields) in the current cox center footprint. 4 fields plus the HOF and the USA softball headquarters could fit on the Coop site and still wouldn’t come close to filling up the property.
    Downtown property is much too valuable to only be in significant use a few times a year. It's just not an optimal idea for that area.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    Downtown property is much too valuable to only be in significant use a few times a year. It's just not an optimal idea for that area.
    The complex is in constant use from the first of March through October. A lot of people do not know this because it’s hidden away out near the zoo. Kind of proving my point that it needs to be moved downtown. Put the lesser utilized fields adjacent to I-40 where the land would likely never be developed (besides maybe a future parking lot) and it’s a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Even the economic claims about how much downtown major sports stadiums/arenas impact an area are questionable, compared to normal downtown infill projects, adding in multiple practice fields is getting pretty sure to be worse.
    For a long time I advocated that stadiums should be built as close to downtown as possible, but it appears from the economic data that downtown sporting events actually do more harm than good to the downtown economy. I'm starting to rethink my position.

The complex is in constant use from the first of March through October. A lot of people do not know this because it’s hidden away out near the zoo. Kind of proving my point that it needs to be moved downtown. Put the lesser utilized fields adjacent to I-40 where the land would likely never be developed (besides maybe a future parking lot) and it’s a no brainer.
    No, that area needs to be something that can be productive all year round. Your point is not proven.

Blog Entries

Was it Yogi Berra that said “ no one ever goes there anymore because it’s too busy. If it’s busy all the time during the softball seasons, why move it?

Guys they're not going to even consider moving that complex downtown after spending $40MM on upgrades.

Keep in mind its not an OKC decision either. It's OKC working in tandem with the NCAA who likes it where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Was it Yogi Berra that said “ no one ever goes there anymore because it’s too busy. If it’s busy all the time during the softball seasons, why move it?
    That quote makes absolutely zero sense to what the discussion is about.

The HOF complex hosts several tournaments throughout the year that brings several out of town visitors. It makes sense to eventually move the complex to an area that has the hotels, amenities, and infrastructure that visitors would already be utilizing. This is no different than the reasoning behind putting the convention center or (new maps) soccer stadium in the core.

A centralized location would not change the amount of people utilizing the complex, it would just make a better experience for the people who are. Although I would expect a new central location would greatly increase the amount of local and out of town visitors to the actual HOF that is open year-round.

^^^^ it absolutely does matter since you insisted how successful it is yet no one knows because it’s so hidden. That doesn’t make any sense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    ^^^^ it absolutely does matter since you insisted how successful it is yet no one knows because it’s so hidden. That doesn’t make any sense.
    Sorry you aren't aware of how successful it is. Most anyone in the softball world does, as do most Oklahoma Citizens who care at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Sorry you aren't aware of how successful it is. Most anyone in the softball world does, as do most Oklahoma Citizens who care at all.
    You are misunderstanding my comment. I am aware of how successful it is. I saw Pete’s pictures and have a lot about it. Not sure where you are getting that from.

I am pointing out GoGators contradictions and voicing my frustration that seemingly every time there is something nice in OKC the typical posters here always think everything *HAS* to be downtown. It’s beyond annoying.

The success of this complex is far from hidden.

It was all over ESPN (broadcast and Sports Center) and I was told the women's final had higher TV ratings than the men's CWS. That's amazing. Even with 12,000+ seats the sessions are almost always sold out.

Those teams and their fans were all pretty much staying downtown. Yes, it would be nice if they could walk to the games but the current setup is pretty darn great. The addition of a wide and nice walkway from the massive Remington Park lots was a fantastic change and that location sits right between two major interstates. Oceans of completely free parking within easy walking distance.

I went to the final on Thursday and it was very easy to get in and out. The renovated and expanded stadium is fantastic.

Just this last year they spent a ton of money on a new video board and added that long walkway.

It's fun to think about how the complex might be relocated, but that is not going to happen in any of our lifetimes. And not every single thing has to be downtown. The current setting is really pretty and I happen to love the views of the City and the surrounding green rolling hills that show up on all the broadcasts.

At some point Remington will be expanded and a hotel and other amenities added, which will further enhance the location.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yes it is extremely successful and a lot of people aren't aware of it because it is hidden. That's the reason we continually get "it's only used a couple times a year" from many people when talking about the facility. These facts are not in conflict with each other.

It doesn't need moved and until another city steps up to challenge OKC it's never going to move. It's like I have told all the haters that want it moved where are you moving it too? The next largest softball only stadium I think is University of Alabama which hold 5,000 people and the town probably doesn't have enough hotels to hold such a large event. So unless another city starts talking about building a huge softball stadium OKC really needs to do nothing. It's already locked in until 2035.

I'd just like some shade structures. *shrugs*

Oklahoma City has had a direct role in greatly advancing the game of women's softball.

Even before the expansion, HOF Stadium was bigger and better than anything else in the country. Now it's lightyears bigger and better.

We've supported that tournament very well long before it was a big deal and before OU became such a juggernaut.

Beth Mowins is the main BPB announcer for the CWS games and she was here going back decades. On virtually every single broadcast she marvels at how far the game has come and always praises OKC because she knows better than anyone how much we've invested and supported that event and several others.

It's far more than the stadium. There are three other fields immediately next door. There is the Softball Hall of Fame. There is the headquarters for U.S.A. Softball.

As I said, it's fun to speculate but there has to be some understanding of the big picture.

Yes it is extremely successful and a lot of people aren't aware of it because it is hidden. That's the reason we continually get "it's only used a couple times a year" from many people when talking about the facility. These facts are not in conflict with each other.
    This could also be solved with a plan to make the area more walkable and build a mixed use village on the Remington lots and potentially a rail or BRT line to the area.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Guys they're not going to even consider moving that complex downtown after spending $40MM on upgrades.

Keep in mind its not an OKC decision either. It's OKC working in tandem with the NCAA who likes it where it's at.
    This would have been more believable if you would have said USA Softball instead of the NCAA. Nothing would happen here without the sign off by USA Softball. The NCAA has no say over anything that happens at the HOF complex besides getting to use the best softball complex in the country to host their tournament.

And the contract for WCWS is through 2035.

25. Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

My company benefits from WCWS as much as almost anyone in OKC, and I’m in no hurry to have it moved downtown.

I love the setting, fans love the setting, and attendees (and teams) make it downtown anyway. Heck, most of them stay downtown. And there’s something to be said for taking a break downtown and away from that particular intense activity when your team isn’t in session. Plus, as Pete mentioned, the convenient free parking at Remington Park and the zoo would be tough (impossible, really) to duplicate.

If we wanted to spend a bunch of money, on something other than shade, that is, I’d love to see rail service added between the complex and downtown. The lines already exist. The old Katy line is uninterrupted between a terminus just across 50th - literally about a block away from the stadium - and Bricktown, via the old Frisco ROW.

Thread Information