Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Hill, The

1. Default Re: Hill, The

Believe it

Default Re: Hill, The

Right, but that 19 will be in addition to the 10 they just received permits for? Total of 29 more units? Just need clarification I read that right.

3. Default Re: Hill, The

That's how I understood it. I feel like that may have been previously mentioned in this thread or the Brownstones thread or some other for-sale housing thread :/

Hmm. Okay. I know we have those 10 with permits, so I guess we'll keep our eyes out for some additional permits in the coming weeks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Booming Downtown OKC More Than Doubling Developers' Demand - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Some good press for the downtown condo market, as the news channels are beginning to take notice (which probably permeates the uneducated masses more than any other media)
    What's the comment about uneducated masses about?

6. Default Re: Hill, The

I can't tell if that's an honest question, or if you're trolling.

Most people who aren't downtown every day aren't really paying attention to the "booming downtown housing market." I think a piece on that on KFOR or KWTV does just as much good for us (if not more) than another a piece in the NY Times. Ask many people who live far out what the most booming housing market is, and they'll probably say Quail Springs or Moore.

The 3 words downtown, housing, and booming aren't usually pieced together in the collective conscious of the 32 year old soccer moms with a high school degree that they'll interview in the Wal-mart parking lot, who often casts the deciding vote at the end of the day. This helps people understand that vibrant downtowns with housing do make a city successful, as long as Linda Cavanaugh or Kelly Ogle say it, then it must be true.

That's all I meant by the comment which was really a lazy generalization because it's late, I'm still at my office, and I don't really have the energy to spell out what I mean by "uneducated masses" which is something vaguely juxtaposed to downtown. Now I have to type all this out because I used a vague generalization that you and other petty posters (metro, popsy, etc) would World War 3 over. God forbid I be called "elitist" by people who actually are -gasp- elitist.

Blog Entries

I can't tell if you actually enjoy insulting as many people as you can or are just that arrogant. Calling out others that don't understand your self proclaimed cool inside your head thoughts and who, heaven forbid, happen to occasionally disagree with you is just snarky. You have good ideas, but they get lost in your attitude. Respect others and they will respect you.

Btw, nobody forced you to type anything out. So please don't feel like you have to educate us ignorant "petty" posters.

8. Default Re: Hill, The

Ah, you are trolling after all.

It is a bit rude though calling people you disagree with uneducated masses, even well educated people will not be an expert on every subject. It is not as if land use patters or population density have been in most curriculums and at this point the majority of people in the city grew up in the suburbs or suburban-ish areas of a city, so they are not going to be considering downtown out of nostalgia or to be close to family/friends.

I know what he means by uneducated mass. He's saying if you asked the average Oklahoma City resident how the downtown housing market is, most would respond with "Section 8 apartments?" or "Who'd live downtown, you could get murdered on the street."

I know of several who are ignorant to the reality that OKC now has a thriving and increasing by the day residential component. I have personally asked these people if they'd consider downtown living, and they did respond with statements similar to above. So, yes they are a mass of people who are uneducated on the specifics of our downtown, not necessarily uneducated (i.e. high school/college dropouts), just uneducated on this specific subject. These same people I asked do not read the DOK or Gazzette or follow any of the downtown/inner city related blogs/websites. They get all of their news from TV or radio broadcasters, which have ignored a lot of the downtown development other than the CHK Arena, KD's Restaurant, and Devon Tower.

The following of downtown development is really a "cult following" right now, but that is quickly changing.

11. Default Re: Hill, The

My point is just that I think News9 coverage of downtown's booming housing market is more useful than NY Times coverage (ergo this article is cause to celebrate), and I think we can all agree on that in general. My apologies if I get annoyed at objections to the specifics behind the reasoning... but it's true and I'm just tired and expressing myself plainly, which never goes over well for anyone in any company. Let alone especially on OKC Talk....

Besides, I don't mean to imply that there's anything wrong with the 32 year old soccer mom in a Wal-mart parking lot. That's like half my family back home :/ Here in Ohio we call them the "undecided voter" but back in Oklahoma we all know there is no such thing (so that takes away the easily-comprehensible and non-offensive label)...

My point is just that I think News9 coverage of downtown's booming housing market is more useful than NY Times coverage (ergo this article is cause to celebrate), and I think we can all agree on that in general. My apologies if I get annoyed at objections to the specifics behind the reasoning... but it's true and I'm just tired and expressing myself plainly, which never goes over well for anyone in any company. Let alone especially on OKC Talk....

Besides, I don't mean to imply that there's anything wrong with the 32 year old soccer mom in a Wal-mart parking lot. That's like half my family back home :/ Here in Ohio we call them the "undecided voter" but back in Oklahoma we all know there is no such thing (so that takes away the easily-comprehensible and non-offensive label)...
    May I suggest "the unaware" as a less perjorative term?

I took 'uneducated' to simply mean people who were not educated about downtown OKC. The only time the average person in OKC reads the New York Times is if it is a link from the Drudge Report, and there aren't very many of those on OKC downtown housing. I know more about what goes in downtown OKC than my family members who live in OKC, and I am 1000 miles away. Plus, I have seen the local TV station news stories and sadly, it appears I know more than them also (thank you OKCTalk).

Alas, it isn't just OKC either. We have the same phenomena here in Jax where 99% of suburban population couldn't tell you one thing about downtown Jax other than it has homeless people because very few people subscribe to the newspaper and the local TV stations are more interested in shooting and rapes than downtown condo development (unless of course the shooting or rape is at a downtown condo development and then they are all over that like white on rice on a paper plate in a snowstorm). I shudder to think how much further along Jax would be if it had an OKCTalk equivalent.

For example: This is front page story in our morning paper today. This however, will not be on our local news tonight and is only available to subscribers on-line. Thus very few people in Jax will know about it.

http://jacksonville.com/premium-prom...l-kick-tuesday

You can find more about it here

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...ng-to-brooklyn

14. Default Re: Hill, The

No doubt OKCTalk has brought us all into the fold. Or we'd all be "uneducated" or "unaware" regarding downtown..

No doubt OKCTalk has brought us all into the fold. Or we'd all be "uneducated" or "unaware" regarding downtown..
    Agree with that! And with most of what you're saying too. It's frankly a bit shocking how unaware (we'll say that as opposed to ignorant) some OKC residents are about their own city. Never understood Oklahomans' propensity to take a dump on themselves and on this great city they live in. Boggles my mind. As a brief example I had a friend tell me how there were "no good restaurants" in OKC. Then I asked him if he'd ever been to simple places like Big Truck, S&Bs, the Wedge (pretty common places I'm sure everyone here has at least heard of) - of course he hasn't, but as an OKC native he thinks it's "cool" to diss OKC.

That is because out in the burbs where most people live there are not any 'good' restaurants - just chains. Nothing unique or worth carrying about.

17. Default Re: Hill, The

I dunno, I care about Boulevard Steakhouse

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    That is because out in the burbs where most people live there are not any 'good' restaurants - just chains. Nothing unique or worth carrying about.
    Some of the best restaurants in town are in the burbs and not chains. Guess the uneducated title goes to a lot of people if you are speaking of being unaware or just biased.

19. Default Re: Hill, The

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Some of the best restaurants in town are in the burbs and not chains. Guess the uneducated title goes to a lot of people if you are speaking of being unaware or just biased.
    Rover, can you make posts without directly dissing someone in this thread??

MadMonk Guest

There's lots of good stuff out in the 'burbs. Perhaps many of you urban-focused folk are just "uneducated" about it?

Ahh crap. Rover beat me to it.

21. Default Re: Hill, The

Well I never went there. I detest Moore, but Two Olives Cafe (in the old high school bldg in Old Town) is a very cool little place, for example.

However I don't think it's at all unfair to say that downtown fosters a much better restaurant scene. There are dozens of such great restaurants downtown. No other 2-square-mile area of OKC can claim this.

Blog Entries

I will if you will. :-)

HangryHippo Guest

That's rich, Spartan.

Blog Entries

Well I never went there. I detest Moore, but Two Olives Cafe (in the old high school bldg in Old Town) is a very cool little place, for example.

However I don't think it's at all unfair to say that downtown fosters a much better restaurant scene. There are dozens of such great restaurants downtown. No other 2-square-mile area of OKC can claim this.
    I don't know why it is necessary to trash something just to promote something else. While I think "dozens" downtown is a gross overstatement, there are several good restaurants downtown. But, in a 2 square mile in the "burbs" you can include many very good restaurants as well, depending where you arbitrarily draw the lines. We are blessed with a healthy local restaurant scene and good options in multiple parts of the metro. In fact, some of the better casual choices are now migrating downtown. And, some of the downtown options are expanding to the burbs. Everyone is benefitted.

You might go visit Coach House, Metro, Cafe 501, Upper Crust, Ranch, Michaels/Grand, Vito's, Coolgreens, West, Republic, Mathew Kenny, Sean Cummings Pub, Nomad, 1492, etc. in the Nichols Hills/NH West area. All local, all good with a few very good. No chains. And there are a host of others in the area that cater to niches, like Cous Cous Cafe, S&B, and a number of Asian restaurants along May., etc. When you are in town you should experience the area.

25. Default Re: Hill, The

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I will if you will. :-)
    Ah Rover, you could learn from me :P ...I only vaguely insult people who I'm not talking to, whereas, you can't help but be smarmy to everyone you're talking to. I mean, on here people are going to hate you after 8,000+ posts and almost 10 years no matter what :/

Didn't you actually call OKCisOK4ME poor and not downtown-worthy in another thread or something that caused a huge spat?

Thread Information