Widgets Magazine
Page 206 of 486 FirstFirst ... 106156201202203204205206207208209210211256306 ... LastLast
Results 5,126 to 5,150 of 12138

Thread: Devon Energy Center

1. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Funny story:

My wife and I went to the Thunder game last night. We parked at the Main Street Parking Garage and walked down Robinson with the Devon Tower to our right. There was a group of people in front of us (3 girls, 1 guy) who were talking and one of the girls looked up and said "What the hell is that?" No one in the group knew so I told them it is the Devon Tower and this is the conversation that ensued:

Girl: "It's huge!" (insert Michael Scott comment)
    Me: "It's only going to get bigger."
    G: "How much bigger is it going to get?"
    Me: "Oh, about twice that height."
    G: "What?!? How tall is it going to be?"
    Me: "850 feet. Total of 50 stories."
    G: "Holy crap! That will be taller than anything in this city."
    Me: "And this state."
    G: "Really? Bigger than Tulsa?"
    Me: "Yep, by about 200 feet. You can expect it to be bigger than that building (pointing toward the Chase Tower) in about a month and taller than the BOK Tower in about three months."
    I'm still amazed how many people are ignorant despite the fact it can be seen pretty much everywhere in the city.

2. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

I'm pretty sure they know it's a skyscraper. I'm not sure you're ignorant just because you don't know how tall a building might be, or what company might inhabit it. These type of things really only interest a certain niche of the Oklahoma City population.

Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

It seems important to know who the largest corporate citizen (doner) of the city is though. The example speaks to a wider apathy of what transpires in one's town of residence.

Those are some great videos William. Thanks again! Take a pedometer next time. I want to know how far you walk with all the closed roads due to Project180!

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    I'm still amazed how many people are ignorant despite the fact it can be seen pretty much everywhere in the city.
    I forgot to mention three of them were from Tulsa and the other girl was from out of state.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I forgot to mention three of them were from Tulsa and the other girl was from out of state.
    That makes more sense... All hurt cause we're going to best their tallest!!! hahahaha

Here's another cool pic from Flickr, courtesy ke5joj:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1275535...n/photostream/

The pace of construction has become about 1 floor per week.
    At this pace the devon tower should become the tallest in the city in about 5 weeks.

It looks to be halfway done!

9. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Very helpful map. If you notice the huge growth spurts between August and October, then the amount of levels was greatly decreased during the Winter months. When the temperature gets warmer, it should go faster. Do anyone know if they are ahead, behind, or on time with the cement pouring for all these current/future levels?

They are HAULING on 19th floor glass!!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    They are HAULING glass on 19th floor!!
    Fixed

I drive from Choctaw to Bethany for church on Sundays so I get to see the tower from both directions. It appears that it will overtake the Chase building in two or three weeks.

Things are getting pretty dull on this thread...except for the praiseworthy and very generous work by William Hider with his extraordinary videos...his cinematography is wonderful...quite professional and far better than you normally see anywhere. It is the tiny nuances all over his work that are unique...zooming, editing, selections to photograph...these are not small things and if he is not a cinematography student or professional--he certainly OUGHT to be...native talents like this are NOT commonplace. Well done, William.

Has anyone started to try and pinpoint the exact date for building height completion?

This could be a fun guessing game. Not for the building to be completed, only for the exterior structure height completion.

I will estimate, the 6th of October 2011.

I can empathize with you as far as the level of excitement on the thread, however it is not anyone’s' fault, rather a symptom of the nature of construction on a very large scale project like this. That can be filed under "Rome was not built in a day" Subtitle... The repetitive floor plates coupled with the fact that we are now to a point where the building is tall enough that the limits of the construction cam are being realized, all contributes to your sentiments. In order to capture the progress the detail is necessarily reduced with each pan upward and the angle of visibility is reduced as the tower increases in height. Don't get me wrong there is a ton of change and activity that can be witnessed on a daily basis, however from the macro view it seems minimal. This is best showcased by images of benevolent thread participants who take their time to visit the site and show us the progress that goes largely unnoticed by the vast majority of us who are not able to physically drive to or visit the site. So thank you to all who give of their time in that regard with video or photos, they enrich the content and fuel the imagination as to what is involved in this enormous undertaking that is emerging before our eyes.

My wish list would include a web cam fixed on that shot from the petroleum club so we can see an overall shot of the progress, and then a zoomed in shot on the original cam focused on the rotunda area of the building. That way overall progress could be measured as well as the more detailed views of the rotunda could be followed. Ya gotta have dreams right?

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    Has anyone started to try and pinpoint the exact date for building height completion?

This could be a fun guessing game. Not for the building to be completed, only for the exterior structure height completion.

I will estimate, the 6th of October 2011.
    I say about December 15th...just before the holiday and they will put a tree atop it with lights...

And to sweeten the pot--a prize for the winner--a Southern Slam at Denny's WITH and extra rasher of bacon (crisp) on the side...

^^Anyone seen The KSBI NW OKC web cam?It also has a time lapse,I think it would be cool if they could add all the time lapses' together from start of construction to end!I think that would be Awesome imo!Petroleum club view would be cool also!

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    I say about December 15th...just before the holiday and they will put a tree atop it with lights...

And to sweeten the pot--a prize for the winner--a Southern Slam at Denny's WITH and extra rasher of bacon (crisp) on the side...
    ^^I'll go with 1st week in Oct.!

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    ^^Anyone seen The KSBI NW OKC web cam?It also has a time lapse,I think it would be cool if they could add all the time lapses' together from start of construction to end!I think that would be Awesome imo!Petroleum club view would be cool also!
    MadMonk has done some very nice time lapses by days...the KSBI webcam is stuck somewhere out in Guthrie or something--way too far away and a cheap-jack camera. Channel 9 has a Bricktown cam that SOMETIMES has a great view...but lately--for days--it has been showing the FLAGPOLE all day long--how fascinating!! Someone needs to talk with those people. They do--however--have TWO great cameras on Downtown Tulsa--Thanks-a-Lot!! They are completely ridiculous-or-simply do not care. Someone should tell them to take their station to Tulsa.

http://www.news9.com/Global/category...#okc-bricktown

We need a secret agent to place a cam on a crane!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike63 View Post
    We need a secret agent to place a cam on a crane!
    Someone...MUST have a friend in the Chase Tower who can lend a hand to the history of the city...it is the ONLY place to put the next phase of webcam...the Chase Building owners must know some way to get a decent PR angle out of this small request...it's not like pulling teeth...

22. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    Someone...MUST have a friend in the Chase Tower who can lend a hand to the history of the city...it is the ONLY place to put the next phase of webcam...the Chase Building owners must know some way to get a decent PR angle out of this small request...it's not like pulling teeth...
    Posts elsewhere on this board about the current owner of that building would indicate that it would be like pulling teeth, maybe even without anesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    Posts elsewhere on this board about the current owner of that building would indicate that it would be like pulling teeth, maybe even without anesthetic.
    Bribery?

How about floating a balloon over the grounds with a multi camera instrument package. Or one of the blimps I used to see at the hockey games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike63 View Post
    How about floating a balloon over the grounds with a multi camera instrument package. Or one of the blimps I used to see at the hockey games.
    Maybe if someone knows how to place a feebie ad somewhere (I don't live in OKC now) and plead with the local citizens to help do this--since time is of the essence...and maybe someone will assist...the Chase Bldg. is filled with other offices not associated with the bank I would guess...maybe some pickets out front--not to protest but request--if nothing else works...

Thread Information