Widgets Magazine
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Vehicles

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Makes total sense for Apple. Why put a USB-C port in for free when you can sell a wireless charger for $99...that still has to be plugged into the wall.
    wireless chargers are like 12 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    wireless chargers are like 12 bucks
    Yeah, but Apple users would still buy the 99 dollar version for some reason. You know because Apple!

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Yeah, but Apple users would still buy the 99 dollar version for some reason. You know because Apple!
    And 12 months later they will release it in 8 different colors and people will buy one of each.

Test drove a Lucid this morning. Wow I wish could afford one of those. I really have started liking Teslas less and less. The only EVs I currently really like is the Mini EV, HUMMER EV, Lucid, E Tron sedan, and the Taycan. Out of all of those I’ve only driven the Hummer and the Audi E Tron SUV but I’d prefer the sedan although I haven’t driven that one. I can’t afford a single one of those either so not that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The lack of government-inforced charging standards allowed competition and the forces of the free market to find the best solution.

Another announcement: Rivian joining the Tesla charging network.
    Rivian: https://apnews.com/article/rivian-te...edium=news_tab

We just got an ioniq 6. It's pretty great

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The lack of government-inforced charging standards allowed competition and the forces of the free market to find the best solution.

Another announcement: Rivian joining the Tesla charging network.

SAE International today [6/27/2023] announced it will standardize the Tesla-developed North American Charging Standard (NACS) connector. This will ensure that any supplier or manufacturer will be able to use, manufacture, or deploy the NACS connector on electric vehicles (EVs) and at charging stations across North America. Ford Motor Company, General Motors, Rivian, and a number of EV charging companies recently announced plans to adopt the NACS connector through adaptors or future product offerings.

SAE International Announces Standard for NACS Connector, Charging PKI and Infrastructure Reliability

Here is the NACS doc [pdf]
    North American Charging Standard: Technical Specification (thron.com)

Tesla resale prices are dropping faster than the value of Twiiter. Go Elon.
    https://electrek.co/2023/07/11/tesla...del-3-down-30/

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Tesla resale prices are dropping faster than the value of Twiiter. Go Elon.
    https://electrek.co/2023/07/11/tesla...del-3-down-30/
    Looks like the average resale price for the Model 3 is still above the base price of the Model 3 after incentives. A used Model X, however, sells for around $30k less than the base price.

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    Looks like the average resale price for the Model 3 is still above the base price of the Model 3 after incentives. A used Model X, however, sells for around $30k less than the base price.
    So why would anybody buy used? Or buy new knowing Elon will undercut your purchazse?

I wish the EV tax credits were refundable. Since I normally get a refund every year, I would not get any of the tax credit benefit.

So why would anybody buy used? Or buy new knowing Elon will undercut your purchazse?
    There is no point in buying now. Financing rates are very high, and not worth it, If used and new prices are very similar, then something is wrong. Allow the market to correct it in a year or 2, if you can hold off.

I can't imagine an auto losing 30% of its value in 1 years time is a good thing no mater how you spin it.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    There is no point in buying now. Financing rates are very high, and not worth it, If used and new prices are very similar, then something is wrong. Allow the market to correct it in a year or 2, if you can hold off.
    we ended up getting 4.99% over the weekend from a local dealer on a CPO hybrid suv. they didn't even fight us that hard during the negotiation; i only had to get my keys out one time.

Im not saying its good or bad. Simply stating what I found interesting from the article you posted said.

Im not advocating buying used. Unless you want to buy my car, in which case you should absolutely buy used... :P
    But I own a Subaru, not a Tesla. Still, it has only lost like $7-8k in value since I bought it 5 yrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    I wish the EV tax credits were refundable. Since I normally get a refund every year, I would not get any of the tax credit benefit.
    I believe a non-refundable credit just means that the amount of the credit can’t exceed your overall tax liability — including the amounts you’ve paid through payroll deductions. So just because you get a tax refund doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t get some or all of the credit.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
    I believe a non-refundable credit just means that the amount of the credit can’t exceed your overall tax liability — including the amounts you’ve paid through payroll deductions. So just because you get a tax refund doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t get some or all of the credit.
    I got the full credit for my MINI plus my usual few hundred dollar refund when I filed this time, so yes, this is the way it works (we paid in quite a bit more via pay deductions than the full tax credit).

Toyota says battery breakthrough will lead to 745-mile EVs: https://www.techspot.com/news/99308-...-mile-evs.html

19. Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Toyota says battery breakthrough will lead to 745-mile EVs: https://www.techspot.com/news/99308-...-mile-evs.html
    It's more about solid state batteries. Still probably 10 years away based on the technology I've seen. By then we could have hydrogen engines competing with them. Short on the details from Toyota but hopefully they do actually have a breakthrough.

Some other positive news https://www.kten.com/story/49193303/...arging-network

66 million grant to expand charging network.

20. Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Toyota is pushing it's new hydrogen combution engine breakthrough, as well. They ma be the Tesla of the late 2020's/2030's.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    But Samsung and Motorola are both better phones than Apple. The new Motorola razr+ flip phone is sensational. It awaits to see if the new upcoming Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5 will be able to beat it. Apple doesn't even get into flip phones.

23. Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Toyota is pushing it's new hydrogen combution engine breakthrough, as well. They ma be the Tesla of the late 2020's/2030's.
    That would be awesome. Especially since hydrogen is produced from water and electricity and has clean emissions.

seems awfully desperate.

25. Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    seems awfully desperate.
    Seems like an efficient market and competition.

Thread Information