Widgets Magazine
Page 20 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: OnCue OKC Expansion

Default Re: OnCue OKC Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    On a related note, I know that at OnCue you can use your phone or smart watch to pay at the register with Apple Pay/Android Pay, and it really speeds up the whole process of bypassing the chip reader. Anyone know if the same technology would ever come to the pump so you don't have to insert your physical credit card? It seems that the tap to pay method would be more secure since its a one-time generated coded handshake between the smart device and the gas pump, versus a skimmer getting your plastic credit card information.
    Agree completely. The coded payment transaction will, eventually, in some form, inevitably replace the credit card with embedded info. The encrypted transaction that is created and sent back to the processor is infinitely more secure. In effect, there's nothing to steal. Even if someone had the transaction data, you'd have to have one or both keys that encrypted one or both sides of the transaction data.

I heard a rumor there was going to be a new OnCue built across from Winco around 39th and Portland where The Porthole and laundry mat are. Any validity to this news??

Quote Originally Posted by roci28 View Post
    I heard a rumor there was going to be a new OnCue built across from Winco around 39th and Portland where The Porthole and laundry mat are. Any validity to this news??
    I'm not sure about this. I know the Route 66 Laundry is also home to a USPS Contract Postal Unit. Full service and complete with postal boxes for rent.
    I've heard the rumor as well, but I don't know if it's actually been verified. Maybe Pete knows?

I know we've had examples of the same company gas stations being right across the street from each other, and both survive because they're aimed at different traffic patterns, but does one at 39th & Portland AND one at 36th & May really make sense? I mean, if the rumor is even remotely true one would assume OnCue did the research and believes the answer to be yes. But if they want to destroy something there, wouldn't it make more sense for it to be that cash for cars/campfire motel place? That would make accessing the "WinCo traffic" MUCH easier.

Blog Entries

Pretty sure this was confirmed way up thread. That OnCue owns the land the Porthole is on and it's only a matter of time. Porthole even announced a closing, had a big bash, but then said never mind, I guess they got a short reprieve.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Pretty sure this was confirmed way up thread. That OnCue owns the land the Porthole is on and it's only a matter of time. Porthole even announced a closing, had a big bash, but then said never mind, I guess they got a short reprieve.
    I've seen no confirmation on NW 39th & Portland. The only discussion has been hearsay. There was confusion in this thread regarding the location when a "coming soon" sign was supposedly located there, it turned out not to be 39th & Portland) and nothing else points in that direction. Route 66 Laundry/ postal service center claims to know nothing about it except hearing rumors on social media that he didn't know how to refute. "Hasn't hurt business that's for sure." He said Porthole has been trying to sell for quite awhile and thought they had a buyer but it fell through.

I'm going to take from all of this that NW 39th and Portland is not the future home of an OnCue.

If me having a brain fart and confusing 39th & Portland with 39th & the turnpike is the 'confirmation' mentioned, then I can only deeply apologize, beg forgiveness, and politely suggest we don't take brain farts as confirmation of anything.

Again, to be clear, the SE corner of 39th & the turnpike had a sign for the longest time, and I understand is now starting to see action. To my (and everyone else's) knowledge, the SE corner of 39th and Portland did not, and is not.

OnCue frequently places options on properties, often for extended periods of time.

Usually, they reserve the right to back out before closing with or without penalty, depending on the deal they strike with the land owners.

I believe this is the case with the Porthole and surrounding properties at 39th & Portland but also know that they have a bunch of other locations tied up in a similar manner.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    If me having a brain fart and confusing 39th & Portland with 39th & the turnpike is the 'confirmation' mentioned, then I can only deeply apologize, beg forgiveness, and politely suggest we don't take brain farts as confirmation of anything.

Again, to be clear, the SE corner of 39th & the turnpike had a sign for the longest time, and I understand is now starting to see action. To my (and everyone else's) knowledge, the SE corner of 39th and Portland did not, and is not.
    Hey Stile99, You made me laugh and that's always a good thing in the morning! Yes, you made it clear way back in the thread that you made a simple mix-up in intersections. I loved your "we shouldn't take brain farts as confirmation of anything." Your post truly made me laugh and I owe you a THANKS for that!

I think Pete may very well be right about options on the land at one time. I think that makes complete sense to me.

Now, WHEN are they going to actually start on Northwest Expressway and Blackwelder?!?!

Bulldozer in the field next to the I35/15th street location. What might be built there?

Quote Originally Posted by rtz View Post
    Bulldozer in the field next to the I35/15th street location. What might be built there?

“Now a new car wash on the west side of OnCue has taken down more trees.“

https://newsok.com/article/5605085/e...rlyAccess=true

OnCue planning new location for Midtown

OnCue Express, the booming Stillwater-based convenience store chain, is looking to continue its aggressive push into the Oklahoma City market with its first location in the urban core.

OKCTalk has learned the company has purchased or placed under contract 1.72 acres on the southwest corner of NW 13th Street and Western Avenue. OnCue has closed on the sale on one of the properties with the others pending.

Preliminary plans indicate a smaller store measuring approximately 8,451 square feet and its customary array of covered fuel pumps.

OnCue has been adding kitchens to a handful of its locations as it seeks to be to Oklahoma City what QuikTrip has been in Tulsa and other markets. The OnCue kitchens offer freshly made pizza, burgers, fries, breakfast sandwiches and tacos.

QuikTrip has had a long-held gentleman's agreement with the Brown family that owns the local 7-Eleven stores, whereby the Tulsa convenience store giant has voluntarily not entered the central Oklahoma market that 7-Eleven currently dominates with 111 locations.

However, as 7-Eleven has been slow to implement bigger, newer, more elaborate stores that have become the primary area of growth in the convenience store industry, OnCue has largely stepped into that void. 7-Eleven has now started building larger stores of its own and is upgrading some of its more profitable locations with remodeled facilities or in some cases completely replacing them with a new prototype that also includes hot food.

OnCue Express currently operates approximately 75 locations in Oklahoma, with 40 locations planned or open in the Oklahoma City area.

Previously, the property at NW 13th and Western had been slated for a mixed-use project by local developer Shyon Keoppel who now hopes to move elements of that concept to a new location in Midtown.

So I'm guess the two houses within the red square will be demolished?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    So I'm guess the two houses within the red square will be demolished?
    Yes, that is the plan.

I predict that this location will make bank! Not a bad location for it, as it is not in the core, but is close enough to attract customers from the core.

They have been looking in this area for a while and now have settled on this location.

Classen and in and out of the core to the north is highly underserved... Just one of those woeful 7-Elevens.

Ugh. That's a disheartening use of that space. Can they at least design it in such a way that the building is up against Western and the pumps and parking area is behind it?

^^^ agree. That's a terrible spot from an urban design perspective and counter to what is happening along western and classen. I hope that at the very least the pumps can be placed behind the building like stlokc said. For once I hope there is stroong NIMBY opposition to this.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    Ugh. That's a disheartening use of that space. Can they at least design it in such a way that the building is up against Western and the pumps and parking area is behind it?
    It will be a traditional design similar to their new stores.

Yeah this kinda sucks. What they had proposed here originally was really cool. Too bad it didn’t happen. But this is awful and I hope it doesn’t get built. We don’t need large gas stations in the core. Maybe if they significantly reduced the size to 4-5 pumps, but this as proposed just isn’t a good fit, imo.

They just remodeled the house on 13th a year or two ago.

This is something that is desperately needed in the core but like others have said, I hope they at least attempt to do something more urban with the design and get a little creative.

Is this completley out of all design review districts?

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    They just remodeled the house on 13th a year or two ago.
    Wonder how hard it would be to relocate it.

HangryHippo Guest

Yeah, this is a disappointing use. I had high hopes for that corner as I thought it would figure prominently once development edged out/up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yeah this kinda sucks. What they had proposed here originally was really cool. Too bad it didn’t happen. But this is awful and I hope it doesn’t get built. We don’t need large gas stations in the core. Maybe if they significantly reduced the size to 4-5 pumps, but this as proposed just isn’t a good fit, imo.
    Disagree about needing a large gas station in the core. This will be really nice to have nearby...especially with the drive through wine pickup, just wish they would do something more creative than a basic suburban design.

Thread Information