Widgets Magazine
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Guyutes

Default Re: Guyutes

Yes, they have quite a few heaters that really pump out the warmth.

They have a tent up on the roof now.

I went here again on the Friday after Thanksgiving and took my daughter and her fiancé. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

http://m.newsok.com/gone-phishing-gu...rticle/5465502

NewsOK Videos | GUYUTES located on NW 23rd

Not sure how much that rooftop tent is being used... I suspect it's the domain of smokers this time of year.

But, even though their downstairs needs so work, it certainly appears that a lot of their crowd has transition to the inside because they've been relatively busy in there the last couple of times I went by.

The last day I went it would have been too cold on the roof, even with the tent and heaters. I didn't even consider it and I doubt it was being used at the time. It was fairly empty downstairs when we where there, which was in the early afternoon. The décor downstairs is certainly nothing special but we had great food and service.

6. Default Re: Guyutes

Local artist, Mothman, adding to the exterior of the building:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	363.6 KB 
ID:	11978

Awesome!

8. Default Re: Guyutes

For those who don't know, Mothman and Rick Sinnett (of Route 66 and Silo/Rocktown monumental mural fame) are the same person.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    For those who don't know, Mothman and Rick Sinnett (of Route 66 and Silo/Rocktown monumental mural fame) are the same person.
    Thanks for clarifying. I was a bit confused about this.

Been on the roof deck several weekends and the tents have been pretty busy and never noticed any smokers actually. they had two smaller Flimsy tents and one of them blew down after only one night. I talked to one of the owners the next night and he said he was just trying to make it through this winter and guessed he would need to buy a better tent and he did. He said they had looked at some sort of retractable roof originally but was too expensive but are going to revisit a way to enclose it better for next season hopefully.

I don't know if I've gone on bad nights, but I've been twice now and haven't enjoyed it either time, especially tonight. I felt like the service was not great. The first time I went I felt it was crazy loud and had weird acoustics as I was struggling to hear my friends, though it is a bar so I'm not sure what I expected. However, my server tonight had a weird attitude the entire night with us, including her slapping her fingers on the edge of the table and strutting away when we decided against appetizers and returning my friend thanking her for the check with a disinterested "yup". She barely responded to us when we addressed her and she seemed miserable and quite rude... it caught the attention of my entire party. In addition, both times I've been there now I've had a server touch me to get my attention, which I suppose isn't egregious but rubbed me the wrong way. Another admittedly minor thing is that the cocktail I ordered (one of the winter ones) had the ingredients listed and then came with whipped cream on top. I'm lactose intolerant but luckily had a pill with me to take, but I'd specifically ordered it because it was the one without a dairy product listed in the ingredients. Finally, I know this might be considered standard at places but I'm always caught off guard being upcharged for getting a drink without a specific liquor listed. If I'm in a club and there's no prices anywhere, I'm well aware that ordering a higher end liquor will cost more, but it strikes me as strange that the cocktails are specificaly listed in the menu as $8-$9 for (apparently?) well liquor and if you don't clarify you want the cheapest there's an additional $2 upcharge -- nevermind that I don't think the tiny cocktails are worth $10+. On top of everything else, there was a visibly intoxicated young man who was drinking outside in the parking lot and we saw him stumble into the kitchen at one point and we didn't see him getting thrown out at any point. I don't know if he worked there or what, but it was pretty offputting to witness.

Anyway, I know some of the complaints are definitely more minor than others, but between the service I've had and the drink prices I doubt we'll be back, except maybe to try the food at some point. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    I don't know if I've gone on bad nights, but I've been twice now and haven't enjoyed it either time, especially tonight. I felt like the service was not great. The first time I went I felt it was crazy loud and had weird acoustics as I was struggling to hear my friends, though it is a bar so I'm not sure what I expected. However, my server tonight had a weird attitude the entire night with us, including her slapping her fingers on the edge of the table and strutting away when we decided against appetizers and returning my friend thanking her for the check with a disinterested "yup". She barely responded to us when we addressed her and she seemed miserable and quite rude... it caught the attention of my entire party. In addition, both times I've been there now I've had a server touch me to get my attention, which I suppose isn't egregious but rubbed me the wrong way. Another admittedly minor thing is that the cocktail I ordered (one of the winter ones) had the ingredients listed and then came with whipped cream on top. I'm lactose intolerant but luckily had a pill with me to take, but I'd specifically ordered it because it was the one without a dairy product listed in the ingredients. Finally, I know this might be considered standard at places but I'm always caught off guard being upcharged for getting a drink without a specific liquor listed. If I'm in a club and there's no prices anywhere, I'm well aware that ordering a higher end liquor will cost more, but it strikes me as strange that the cocktails are specificaly listed in the menu as $8-$9 for (apparently?) well liquor and if you don't clarify you want the cheapest there's an additional $2 upcharge -- nevermind that I don't think the tiny cocktails are worth $10+. On top of everything else, there was a visibly intoxicated young man who was drinking outside in the parking lot and we saw him stumble into the kitchen at one point and we didn't see him getting thrown out at any point. I don't know if he worked there or what, but it was pretty offputting to witness.

Anyway, I know some of the complaints are definitely more minor than others, but between the service I've had and the drink prices I doubt we'll be back, except maybe to try the food at some point. Oh well.
    I've never had the kind of experience that you're talking about there but I don't drink "cocktails" so I never pay much attention to that. I've always had great service there, however. Hopefully that is only a minor issue. There is nothing in my experience there that would keep me from going back.

Blog Entries

I've only gone once, service was mixed but food was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post

Legit complaint.

That's weird, also a legit complaint

Kindly send it back, explain why you ordered it and why you are sending it back. No way a bar would argue, specifically if they didn't list the whipped cream on the menu.

This was really confusing. Did you upgrade the liquor and get upcharged $2? That's pretty common. Or does the drink already come with upgraded liquor and you can downgrade? That'd be a first. $10 cocktails? Welcome to 2016.

Yeah that's weird too.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Kindly send it back, explain why you ordered it and why you are sending it back. No way a bar would argue, specifically if they didn't list the whipped cream on the menu.
    Yeah, that was really a minor thing and probably shouldn't have been included in the list. Like I said I had a lactaid pill with me so I just took that and drank it, but arguably could have sent it back. This happens to me frequently at many places where something dairy is added to things without acknowledgement on the menu, so it isn't Guyutes specific. I guess I was just surprised since the other drinks did list their dairy ingredient. No biggie, though.

This was really confusing. Did you upgrade the liquor and get upcharged $2? That's pretty common. Or does the drink already come with upgraded liquor and you can downgrade? That'd be a first. $10 cocktails? Welcome to 2016.
    It was upgraded and charged +$2. Perhaps I wasn't clear -- I fully expect to pay more for better liquor at a club, but I'm not used to an actual listed price on the menu implying the bare minimum quality (which amounts to $8+ dollars for a well drink.... meh). The first time it happened I just ordered the drink, they came back and asked what I wanted and I said "Oh whatever" and then added "whatever's cheapest" with a laugh (perhaps he didn't hear me) and came back with a more expensive drink. Everyone else at the table came to expect this so the problem is clearly mine. I think what it is is that at other places when I've seen specific prices listed for cocktails they generally list the type of liquor you're getting with it with the other ingredients listed. I've never had to clarify that I want bottom-of-the-barrel liquor to get the listed price. Anyway, misunderstanding on my behalf I guess... but like I said, I am not sure a well drink is worth $8+ bucks, when places like Whiskey Cake and Scratch have much better cocktails for comparable prices (IMHO).

Went here this afternoon to watch some abysmal OU basketball. We hung out on the rooftop patio. Not a bad little joint and no domestic beers that I could see.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Went here this afternoon to watch some abysmal OU basketball. We hung out on the rooftop patio. Not a bad little joint and no domestic beers that I could see.
    There was a game on yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    There was a game on yesterday?
    Hahaha well played! (Pun/irony fully intended.)

That game was BRUTAL. Ugh.

Looks like the same group is planning to turn the house next door into another bar. Looks like it is called True Blue.

Not sure if you wanted to start another thread, Pete.

^

Yes, I've talked to one of the owners.

Still an undetermined concept but will be a great use of that bungalow which is now pretty neglected (took this photo a couple of weeks ago).

The Guyutes group actually bought that property. Note that the front yard (soon to be patio) is raised about 3 feet above the sidewalk.

Wish they would save the trees

23. Default Re: Guyutes

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Wish they would save the trees
    seriously!
    That would be an awesome tree to drink under! Just take off the lower branches! It's a shame they are removing it, but I bet insurance requires it for a lower premium since that thing could crush the bar if it falls.

Would be seriously cool if they cut open the roof and put a bridge across the Guyute's rooftop patio to this concept.

Is the sports animal doing their Thunder Post games from here now?

Thread Information