Widgets Magazine
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This would be a great time for the Chickasaws to announce a big hotel in the Remington Park parking lot, something we have all be clamoring for.
    I would assume we would hear something soon on the hotel as part of the MLK/63rd Street development.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Haven't seen any real negativity in the press, online, or in any meetings I've been in. There is no measurable resistance to this of which you post. Who's been negative? This city's citizens are great supporters of events like this. Even years ago when we had Olympic trials here the support was great. I remember going to Norman for ceremonies in a sold out OU stadium.
    Nicole Mendes, former OU softball player, on X/Twitter has been extremely negatively vocal about the Olympics being in OKC and the athletes not getting the full Olympic experience. Not defending her, just answering your question.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Nicole Mendes, former OU softball player, on X/Twitter has been extremely negatively vocal about the Olympics being in OKC and the athletes not getting the full Olympic experience. Not defending her, just answering your question.
    It's far too early to make these types of assumptions.

The athletes could very easily go to LA for the opening ceremonies and other events, then take a plane to OKC.

Also, softball isn't even part of Paris and probably was only added to LA28 after they had a general agreement with OKC; remember, it wasn't added to 2028 until last fall well after we reported on some events coming here. In other words, without OKC the 'full Olympic experience' for softball players would amount to their sport not being represented at all and them sitting at home.

In fact, softball has only been a part of the games 5 times (out of 35) and only once in the last 4.

I know we talked about implications for hotels and other developments, but I wonder if since it is so close to the Softball stadium if the zoo would fast track some improvements and get more done in four years instead of spacing it out over ten.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I know we talked about implications for hotels and other developments, but I wonder if since it is so close to the Softball stadium if the zoo would fast track some improvements and get more done in four years instead of spacing it out over ten.
    Their primary funding source is sales tax and why they have to spread things out.

They could issue a revenue bond to get the money upfront and then pay interest, but that seems unlikely.

Their primary funding source is sales tax and why they have to spread things out.

They could issue a revenue bond to get the money upfront and then pay interest, but that seems unlikely.
    Makes sense.

7. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

This is really exciting! So... when can I buy my tickets?

The athletes could very easily go to LA for the opening ceremonies and other events, then take a plane to OKC.

Also, softball isn't even part of Paris and probably was only added to LA28 after they had a general agreement with OKC; remember, it wasn't added to 2028 until last fall well after we reported on some events coming here. In other words, without OKC the 'full Olympic experience' for softball players would amount to their sport not being represented at all and them sitting at home.

In fact, softball has only been a part of the games 5 times (out of 35) and only once in the last 4.
    This is true. And honestly, showing the sport to the world in a larger dedicated venue is probably better for the sport overall than having it in a venue 1/5 the size or shoe horning it into a baseball stadium. She also mentioned using the LA games as an excuse to build another large softball stadium. But this would go against the IOCs recent focus on sustainability, which, honestly, is a major reason that OKC is getting these two events. And I feel like if there was interest in a 12k+ capacity softball facility in Los Angeles, it would already exist, or at least be in the works.

I don't want to discount the "athlete experience" she's advocating for, but she's also kind of advocating for compromising the game itself at the Olympics to accommodate that experience. Short of someone coming up with around $40 million (probably more in LA) to build a venue specifically because of LA28, a compromised venue is what it would take to play the games in LA.

Hopefully, as you said, all the athletes that compete in Oklahoma City will also be able to take part in at least ceremonial events in LA. They may even get to do some of that twice.

It takes time to hop a red eye flight back to OKC and then back to LA for the closing ceremony. Some games and events may be immediately before or after. Also, she is looking at from a young athlete point of view. Its been well documented that there is a lot of partying and hooking up that takes place between events at the Olympic village.

But yeah, that last part is very true. OKC should be awarded for supporting softball after years of investment.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    It takes time to hop a red eye flight back to OKC and then back to LA for the closing ceremony. Some games and events may be immediately before or after. Also, she is looking at from a young athlete point of view. Its been well documented that there is a lot of partying and hooking up that takes place between events at the Olympic village.

But yeah, that last part is very true. OKC should be awarded for supporting softball after years of investment.
    Most athletes don't go to the closing ceremony; the opening is a much bigger deal.

Regardless, Nicole and everyone else should be thanking OKC for making Olympic softball possible, not complaining about things that are far from being decided.

Amen, Pete! Not to mention the upgrades/additions that will will be made to Devon Park will benefit numerous WCWS athletes for years to come after the 2028 Olympics.

12. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

One thing to keep in mind when talking about upgrades is where is the funding for those upgrades? The city may have been pursuing this for several years, but the funding doesn't just appear out of thin air once we get the events.

I would say “wow!” but that would be an understatement.
    This is beyond huge. Pete really hit this out of the park with his reporting and confidence that this day would actually happen. Softball too? Icing.

A couple of things —
    -The whole inside joke on the board about what could make Dallas and KC jealous?
    I think this just did.

-There are a handful of people (especially three or four that I can think of) who will get their negativity in here on OKCTalk one way or another, even if it’s subtle. Ignore it. Nothing can beat June 21, 2024 and the announcement that Olympic events will be hosted in Oklahoma City. Typing those words don’t even seem real.

What an absolute coup, my goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by EdOkCounty View Post
    Amen, Pete! Not to mention the upgrades/additions that will will be made to Devon Park will benefit numerous WCWS athletes for years to come after the 2028 Olympics.
    Maybe they can build an awning at Devon Park. Aren't the Olympics usually in July? It's going to be scorching hot.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    The Atlanta 1996 Olympics softball was not held in Atlanta, but in Columbus Georgia. IIRC the attendance was horrible.

Maybe they will finally add showers in the ladies locker rooms in Devon Park ijs.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    One thing to keep in mind when talking about upgrades is where is the funding for those upgrades? The city may have been pursuing this for several years, but the funding doesn't just appear out of thin air once we get the events.
    My understanding is the complete funding package has not been identified, even though as part of this deal OKC is assuming any loss that may result.

I did see just last week that the annual subsidy to Riversport jumped from $1.2 million to over $5 million. So between now and then, that's an additional $16 million (4 years) right out of the gate.

A huge part of Olympic funding is corporate sponsorships and it's far too early to know how that is going to play out.

Beyond that, the City has shown great creativity in moving money around when it's needed: GOLT bonds, TIF's, a whole bevy of different economic improvement funds, and simply writing things into the annual budget.

Devon's recent sponsorship of the softball park will bring additional income, even if their name can't be on the facility during the games.

I'm not even sure who is going to be coordinating this effort. Maybe David Todd since he's become the MAPS guru? Certainly someone will have to make this their full-time job. I'm certain the Chamber and CVB will be heavily involved.

Also, maybe the big jump in hotel tax scheduled for a summer vote will be partially allocated to this project.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    The Atlanta 1996 Olympics softball was not held in Atlanta, but in Columbus Georgia. IIRC the attendance was horrible.
    And in the minds of most — it was still in Atlanta, since Columbus is only an hour or so away. that happens all the time. This is four states away and a huge deal for OKC. Softball is a far far more popular sport in the U.S. compared to 1996.

21. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

In other words, without OKC the 'full Olympic experience' for softball players would amount to their sport not being represented at all and them sitting at home.
    Ouch! Game, set , match to Pete!

L.A. 28 chairman and president Casey Wasserman said that canoers and softball players will be able to attend either the opening or closing Ceremonies so they won’t feel left out of events in L.A. while they are in Oklahoma. (Washington Post)

23. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Oddly, this announcement will only help the other 3 towers to get built, which is by far the most important thing.

Get ready for much more publicity about OKC being the next hot city. It is a very strong argument.
    Makes me wonder if this is some of what Matteson was talking about. Yes, we know OKC is the next big and upcoming city; but to justify a supertall as the tallest in the country/western hemisphere? He must have knew that OKC was hot at getting this major world event, along with the other HUGE investments the city is making/attracting. It is very interesting at the timing of all of this (if we could have also got rowing too [maybe still can]).

But I wont be greedy . This is bigger than the Thunder/NBA from the prospective of audience/world event hosting - a cachet that even NY and Chicago still don't have. So happy we will be forever linked with Global City LA like the mayor said!

So happy for my hometown, O-K-C!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

24. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    The new arena might just be in the picture as well. If completed, great place for telecommunication, news networks, media operations, transportation and other information etc.
    and OKC Ribbon celebrations! Maybe OKC could be part of the Opening/Closing ceremonies, not sure how the co-host participates in that. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Haven't seen any real negativity in the press, online, or in any meetings I've been in. There is no measurable resistance to this of which you post. Who's been negative? This city's citizens are great supporters of events like this. Even years ago when we had Olympic trials here the support was great. I remember going to Norman for ceremonies in a sold out OU stadium.
    I was in Norman for that also but that wasn't for Olympic trials. It was when the US for a short time had and "Olympic Festival which was held 2 years after and before the regular Olympic games.

Thread Information