Widgets Magazine
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Lexford Park (formerly First Christian Church)

Default Re: First Christian Church

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    What's hard to understand unless you've actually hiked through this property is that the only place where there are bordering homes -- a total of 17 along the north side -- there is a significant creek with large trees on both sides. And those homes all have large, deep lots.

So, even if you walk along the creek, you don't even see the homes, which means they couldn't see anything that would be built on this property -- unless you are talking about 5+ story buildings situated close to the creek.
    I bet it was more business decision than concern of overcoming objections with the community. They probably stand to make great profit in a relatively short period of time, where a commerical/rental component takes longer to recoup. It would be an interesting area for a bit of mixed use, but honestly, it's probably for the best. This just means ~200 more people with high incomes being available to go to Paseo, Uptown, Western, Plaza.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I bet it was more business decision than concern of overcoming objections with the community. They probably stand to make great profit in a relatively short period of time, where a commerical/rental component takes longer to recoup. It would be an interesting area for a bit of mixed use, but honestly, it's probably for the best. This just means ~200 more people with high incomes being available to go to Paseo, Uptown, Western, Plaza.
    Not buying that. Building and selling homes can sometimes take longer to get a return than a commercial development. Just look at The Hill to see how its not so easy to build and sell relatively expensive homes. I'd guaranty they're proposing homes because its the path of least resistance. Not hard for a few highly motivated NIMBYs to round up opposition among neighbors and delay and ultimately crater a commercial development.

It is disappointing, this being at a highway interchange with good demographics screamed commercial/mixed use development. But, even though they live adjacent to a loud highway, a starbucks would have totally ruined the neighborhood I guess...

Even though I am known as "Mesta Parker" on this board (used to live there) I now live in Edgemere Heights and would have much preferred a mixed use development to housing. Many neighbors feel the same. Sure, there likely would be increased traffic in the area, but the convenience of closer retail would have been worth it. Pete is right, the creek and Crown Heights park completely insulates Edgemere Heights and most of Crown Heights. However, the folks on 37th and 38th streets in Crown Heights would be directly across the street.

^

There is only one home in Crown Heights that borders this property, and even that is separated by Walker.

As OKC grows and becomes more dense, this problem keeps coming up over and over: how much influence do you allow to a group of people who merely live in the general area?

5. Default Re: First Christian Church

Quote Originally Posted by Mesta Parker View Post
    Even though I am known as "Mesta Parker" on this board (used to live there) I now live in Edgemere Heights and would have much preferred a mixed use development to housing. Many neighbors feel the same. Sure, there likely would be increased traffic in the area, but the convenience of closer retail would have been worth it. Pete is right, the creek and Crown Heights park completely insulates Edgemere Heights and most of Crown Heights. However, the folks on 37th and 38th streets in Crown Heights would be directly across the street.
    I used to live on 37th street, and there's been a lot of change over the last few years with the older generation moving out and younger families moving in. I know we were all excited about the potential of a mixed use development, but a high price point development will only help the home values there too.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Not buying that. Building and selling homes can sometimes take longer to get a return than a commercial development. Just look at The Hill to see how its not so easy to build and sell relatively expensive homes. I'd guaranty they're proposing homes because its the path of least resistance. Not hard for a few highly motivated NIMBYs to round up opposition among neighbors and delay and ultimately crater a commercial development.

It is disappointing, this being at a highway interchange with good demographics screamed commercial/mixed use development. But, even though they live adjacent to a loud highway, a starbucks would have totally ruined the neighborhood I guess...
    As Pete previously pointed out, part of the property is already zoned commercial, so the developer could already tell the neighbors to pound sand on that portion of the property.

Also, The Hill was clearly a group in over their head trying to develop an area with questionable demand and copious competition. The demand for this area is huge, proven, and there's not a lot of area for new housing and fewer developers who can compete.

I'm not saying it's impossible that the desire to deal with NIMBY had something to do with the decision, but Bradshaw is a capable developer who has done a lot of projects....How much commercial has he developed in the last 10 years vs residential.

Press release:

(Note that the high density presumed townhomes fall exactly within the boundary of the current commercial zoning and the remainder is already zoned for single-family housing. Also "Private D/E" = Drainage Easement.)

Colony Developers, Inc. Files Plat for Development at NW 36th St and Walker Avenue in Oklahoma City; Could Break Ground by September

Oklahoma City - Today, developer Ron Bradshaw filed a proposed plat and re-zoning request, taking the first official step in the transformation of the former First Christian Church campus into something of a unicorn – a beautifully-planned, urban infill neighborhood in the heart of Oklahoma City’s historic urban core.

The current project team includes Ron Bradshaw, Colony Developers, Inc., developer; Bruce Bockus, Bockus Payne, architect; Mark Zitzow, Johnson & Associates, LLC., engineers and urban planners; and Jennifer Kragh, Sage Sotheby’s International Real Estate, sales and marketing agent.

“When we began thinking seriously about this property last year, the more we thought, the more we loved the idea of creating a wonderful new neighborhood, in this beautiful historic part of the city, that feels like it’s been part of the community for decades,” Bradshaw says.

“This is going to be such an exceptional opportunity. To be able to live in a new home in a traditionally historic neighborhood is so special and so exciting. We are so impressed by the level of thought and care going into this development - exactly what must occur for a project of this magnitude,” says Jennifer Kragh, Sage Sotheby’s International Realty, the sales and marketing agent for the project.

This yet-to-be-named neighborhood is one of only a few infill developments of this size to occur in Oklahoma City since 1950. It will be interesting for the community to follow along as each step in the process occurs. It begins today, with the filing of the preliminary plat, and the request that the property be zoned as a Planned Unit Development (PUD). Currently the land is zoned R-1, single-family residential. Rezoning the entire property as a PUD, also a residential designation, gives Bradshaw and his team greater flexibility in terms of lot size, allowing for a variety of housing options such as townhomes, which require smaller lots than the R-1 zoning designation allows. It also converts the existing small, commercially-zoned section of the property to residential only.

With Bradshaw’s filing of the plat and PUD, the City of Oklahoma City’s zoning department, Planning Commission and City Council will begin its review of the re-zoning request. This step is anticipated to be complete within six months, by summer. During this period, public hearings and meetings will occur for the community to remain involved in this project. While that’s happening, Bradshaw, Zitzow and Bockus will begin preliminary work on the grounds of the property including removing existing asphalt, planting grass to mitigate erosion and creating infrastructure to prep the site for construction.

At the same time, Bradshaw, Bockus and Kragh and the team will create design guidelines for construction and begin selecting builders for the single-family homes and townhomes. Kragh’s team has already met with a handful of builders and individuals interested in purchasing plots in the neighborhood when they become available.

The preliminary, 32-acre plat includes:
    • 103 single family lots
    • 26 townhomes
    • 14 acres reserved for greenspace and common areas
    • Walking trails
    • Preservation of mature trees and creek

Interested parties may contact Kragh at (405) 363-7575 to be placed on a list to receive updates and notification of lot-purchase availability.

two observations: looks like the disciples of christ are keeping a small tract and building on the southeast portion of the property. the plan eliminates the building that jewel box theatre is currently using. i wonder if they will call it quits after this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    two observations: looks like the disciples of christ are keeping a small tract and building on the southeast portion of the property. the plan eliminates the building that jewel box theatre is currently using. i wonder if they will call it quits after this season.
    I can't imagine why that would happen. It's not unusual at all for small theater companies to move to new locations and they certainly could also.

I’m sure that the answer is just “people who value things differently than myself”, but I would still love to know who will be lining up to purchase a borderline seven-figure house that backs up directly to a freeway exit. I lived in an apartment next to the Kilpatrick for a year and it is not exactly an experience that I’m dying to replicate anytime in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I’m sure that the answer is just “people who value things differently than myself”, but I would still love to know who will be lining up to purchase a borderline seven-figure house that backs up directly to a freeway exit. I lived in an apartment next to the Kilpatrick for a year and it is not exactly an experience that I’m dying to replicate anytime in the near future.
    You kind of have to understand that the neighborhoods and the houses around this parcel existed before freeways.

Your apartment off Kilpatrick existed miles away and decades later because of freeways.

You’re talking about two totally different parts of the city, historically and developmentally.

12. Default Re: First Christian Church

I believe the Disciples are actually going to vacate the building and let the staff be 100% remote. They have trimmed the staff numbers over the years anyway. The regional minister just retired and was only one of 3 people left that really "staffed" the office now. So it makes sense to me to go ahead and vacate. We'll see what that means for the building.

Here is a drone shot that better shows most of the property; this was taken 9-26-22:

It’s just a great spot for mixed use.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    My SIL lived in the lofts across the street from the Mont in Norman with a train track directly next door. They said it was annoying at first and then you didn't hear it anymore. Only noticed it when someone else did.

Likewise, my grandparents lived in Crown Heights (201 NW 40th Street) at the dead end of the street. This was before they did any of the widening of 235 so there wasn't the concrete wall between the highway and the neighborhood. I moved in there after college and noticed it for about two days and then got used to it.

There used to be a really nice ampitheater by that creek. Played some concerts there in my youth orchestra days in the early/mid 90s. Is that completely gone now?

I think the current plan for development is fine. The roads in that area are pretty awkward and I don't think they could easily handle a lot of new traffic. Not everything needs to be dense and urban, particularly in areas where it never has been dense nor urban. High dollar single family residences will probably bring a lot of people in to redevelop some of the more dilapidated properties in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    There used to be a really nice ampitheater by that creek. Played some concerts there in my youth orchestra days in the early/mid 90s. Is that completely gone now?
    It's still there but is approaching ruin and I don't think it's been used in quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's still there but is approaching ruin and I don't think it's been used in quite a while.
    IIRC, it was all concrete. Access would have to be improved, but it could probably be usable pretty quickly. It could be a really neat thing to have in the neighborhood.

But yeah, 30ish years ago, I didn't get the sense it was used much. It was still a neat venue.

Cool street names -- Jewel Box Lane, Alexander Place (I think the pastor when the church moved to that site), and Conner Court (I think one of the architects of the egg church). Not sure why Perry and Maxwell are there -- Perry Maxwell is the golf course architect for lots of great Oklahoma golf courses. I'd love to know the significance of his inclusion (unless it is another "Perry" and/or "Maxwell").

IIRC, it was all concrete. Access would have to be improved, but it could probably be usable pretty quickly. It could be a really neat thing to have in the neighborhood.

But yeah, 30ish years ago, I didn't get the sense it was used much. It was still a neat venue.
    If it is the one that is just east of Walker to the north part of the development, it looks like that will be taken out for a street and single family homes. At least, that is what I am getting from comparing the renderings to the existing map.

21. Default Re: First Christian Church

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    My SIL lived in the lofts across the street from the Mont in Norman with a train track directly next door. They said it was annoying at first and then you didn't hear it anymore. Only noticed it when someone else did.

Likewise, my grandparents lived in Crown Heights (201 NW 40th Street) at the dead end of the street. This was before they did any of the widening of 235 so there wasn't the concrete wall between the highway and the neighborhood. I moved in there after college and noticed it for about two days and then got used to it.
    I lived in Edmond 2 houses west of the track and just off 33rd. I would agree that it's annoying as anything at first but you get to a point that you don't even notice.

Quote Originally Posted by john60 View Post
    Cool street names -- Jewel Box Lane, Alexander Place (I think the pastor when the church moved to that site), and Conner Court (I think one of the architects of the egg church). Not sure why Perry and Maxwell are there -- Perry Maxwell is the golf course architect for lots of great Oklahoma golf courses. I'd love to know the significance of his inclusion (unless it is another "Perry" and/or "Maxwell").
    That land and the crown heights land were golf courses in the early 1900s. Though Perry did not design either of them (the original OKCGCC mostly on the Crown Heights land and Edgemere golf course to the east until the train tracks), G.A. Nichols traded the club the Crown Heights land for the land on which Perry Maxwell built the club's current course. Could be an ode to that and the golfing history of the land, but more generally there is a lot of Perry Maxwell history nearby and he is rightfully gaining more of the respect he deserves in golf architecture/history/etc. circles.

I performed in the first summer of Jewel Box Theatre's amphitheatre re-opening (Jewel Box Under the Stars) in 1992, and it was quite successful. They did a few shows each summer for several years, so it was definitely up and running, at least in the summer months. I couldn't tell you when they stopped doing regular shows there, but I always had high hopes for the restoration of that amphitheatre.

I remember Chuck Tweed, the man behind Jewel Box forever, telling the story of opening night for the amphitheatre reopening. He had printed, I think, 500 programs for the run of the show (4 nights), and ran completely out before they finished seating the first night's audience. It was a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    That land and the crown heights land were golf courses in the early 1900s. Though Perry did not design either of them (the original OKCGCC mostly on the Crown Heights land and Edgemere golf course to the east until the train tracks), G.A. Nichols traded the club the Crown Heights land for the land on which Perry Maxwell built the club's current course. Could be an ode to that and the golfing history of the land, but more generally there is a lot of Perry Maxwell history nearby and he is rightfully gaining more of the respect he deserves in golf architecture/history/etc. circles.
    Very interesting. I have heard over the years that the park was once a golf course. I wish there were more information out there about it. I was hopeful this land would be turned into a par-3 golf course...but talk about no chance of ever making your money back.

25. Default Re: First Christian Church

Here's some history from the Oklahoma City Golf and Country Club website:

ABOUT THE CLUB

Nestled in the heart of Nichols Hills, Oklahoma, the origin of the Oklahoma City Golf & Country Club began on July 6, 1911. Being the oldest and most prestigious private golf and country club in Oklahoma City.

On July 6, 1911, a committee of 300 members signed an agreement to form the Oklahoma City Golf & Country Club. The committee attained 160 acres of land on Northwest 36th Street and Western Avenue, presently known as Crown Heights Addition.

As the Club’s membership grew, ideas of relocation began. The developer of Nichols Hills, G.A. Nichols had a dream of creating the “perfect” subdivision for families. Nichols believed an essential part of this new development was to centralize an excellent and prestigious golf course. Nichols consulted with Perry Duke Maxwell, who was known for designing courses that were challenging yet accommodating to all skill ranges. The course opened in the summer of 1929.

In 1930, Nichols offered the officers of the Oklahoma City Golf & Country Club a trade. The 160 acres of land on Western for 163 acres in Nichols Hills with a clubhouse, swimming pool, and 18-hole Perry Maxwell designed golf course. In November, 1930, the board members of the Oklahoma City Golf & Country Club had their first meeting in the new club, and this became the Club’s permanent location.

For over a century, the Oklahoma City Golf & Country Club has expanded and enhanced its facilities and amenities, while continuing one tradition. Experiencing the Tradition of Excellence.

Thread Information