Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How could WRW Airport get nonstop service to an international destination?

Default Re: How could WRW Airport get nonstop service to an international destination?

I knnow this is probably completely off the topic but....speaking of international travel.

I was in Vietnam a few months ago and was flipping through the Vietnam Air magazine. In the back featuring their international routes, they showed only nine 'direct' flight routes to the United States.

All were major markets....San Jose, Seattle, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, etc. Another was - amazingly - Oklahoma City Will Rogers Airport. Surprise. Must be a sizable number of Vietnamese in Oklahoma City.

Anyway, how could they advertise 'direct' service to Oklahoma City on Vietnam Air?

2. Default Re: How could WRW Airport get nonstop service to an international destination?

^^why does the international flight to YYZ-Toronto or YVR-Vancouver have to be a daily flight? How come it couldn't be 3 times a week or even weekly?

I think we might need to be creative in order to get flights. This goes for service to Seattle and other non-hub major cities as well. You dont have to have daily non-stop service in order to be viable, pick the days where the flight option is!!

Also from YYZ or YVR, you could connect to other international destinations: YYZ for Europe and YVR for Asia. This is something WRWA and OKC should get on the ball and make happen. I could easily see two flights a week or more to to TO and Van City on Air Canada - with that continuing on from there.

^And yes, Oklahoma City is WELL known to have a large Vietnamese community. In fact, its larger than ours here in Seattle. As for the air service, Im sure they code share with some airline alliance.

If business and OKC's community continue to grow, look for a true direct connection via LAX or YVR-Vancouver.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

3. Default Re: How could WRW Airport get nonstop service to an international destination?

Wait, we have direct flights to Vietnam?

4. Default Re: How could WRW Airport get nonstop service to an international destination?

^No, we don't have direct flights between OKC and Vietnam, and Vietnam Airlines doesn't have membership in any alliance. Oklahoma City must be a codeshare city with American or United.

Thrice weekly or similar international service may do well, but again, the airlines are going to focus their efforts on markets where they get the most demand. Usually, North American carriers are hesitant to try limited weekly service especially in markets like Oklahoma City because of the variability in pax traffic and so when they can fill a daily CRJ or ERJ on another route, it's actually more profitable to do that then use the aircraft on a 3X weekly basis on one route, then 3X weekly on another. However, a 3X weekly RJ flight between OKC and MEX should probably do well, I know the pax traffic between OKC and MEX has grown larger over the years. Still, DFW and IAH will make it tough for an airline to get good loads and I don't think MEX is a pre-clearance airport yet. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Default Re: How could WRW Airport get nonstop service to an international destination?

I could be wrong, but can't they advertise "direct" as long as that plane's route takes you to that city?

Like, OUman said, maybe it's a codeshare that stops in another city and then continues on to OKC. Maybe someone could do some research. I figure you just have to look at planes coming from major markets to OKC that have the range to get to Vietnam... just a guess.

Thread Information