Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Midtown picking up serious momentum

1. Default Re: Midtown picking up serious momentum

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuSooner View Post
    “We do think there is a market,” Wiggin said. “I think there is an indication there is a market for downtown that isn’t being served right now.”
    If he thinks the market for expensive condos is underserved, then he's crazy.

2. Default Re: Midtown picking up serious momentum

If they can get some good presales, then I would prefer the Overholser Greens project. It just adds some Federal-style elegance to this area adjacent to Heritage Hills that is lacking.

Mercy Park fits in more with Midtown, but if OG were fully occupied, it would set a good precedent for new high incomes and quality design that those streets haven't seen in years. The type of residents it would attract would definitely get this neighborhood on track to being the upscale downtown neighborhood OKC needs to develop if retailers are to start looking downtown; if we don't have the volume, at least we can deliver the median household income levels. And as the report says, it is also favored by planning staff and HH neighbors.
    Continue the Renaissance

Default Re: Midtown picking up serious momentum

There were no Midtown Stakeholders consulted. They support Mercy Park.

I like Mercy Park because it's more comprehensive. I agree with the OG guy who said 5 percent of the 300k plus OKC market is certainly attainable downtown over the next four years, but I think that will be served by the current projects already. There is a definate void for nice rental units and affordable condos. this place could serve that and, with its retail and hotel, become a very exciting place to live.

I have no idea what urban renewal is thinking by being scared of the retail. Retail is what will make midtown desirable. Having retail, guests, renters, and residents share a block would create a nice hub for the area and create a very vibrant envirnoment, that has not been realized downtown to this point.

But, I'm not surprised, I don't think I have agreed with UR once. What's funny is that this time I like the "cheaper" project and they like the stuffy high end project. usually they go with the compromise. I guess we should look into who knows who, because that's what ultimately makes the decsion for UR. One more month to grease the board...

5. Default Re: Midtown picking up serious momentum

Well said BDP. I must agree. We need a hotel in Midtown. Not a large one, but a small one just as the Mercy Park proposal includes. I can understand the desire for the Regency architecture, but I just don't like that the OG proposal isn't mixed use--just more uber expensive condos that I won't be able to afford for years, or anyone my age for that matter.

yeah, I'm thinking a hotel would work just from the hospital being so close by. Many people want to stay by family and friends when they're in the hospital, but don't want to actually stay in the hospital itself. That alone, imo, would draw people to the place 7 days a week. That, along with tourists, would bring consitent traffic to the area, which would help retail and raise its exposure.

As for the condos, I actually think they would be worth more when there was retail or other services right there in the same block. Let's face it, urban living is all about convenience and convenience is created by having services close to home. If there's no retail space, like with the OG proposal, then you are simply forcing the services to spread out and you actually end up detracting from the urban experience. I'd think these would make them less desirable, no matter how well they're decked out. You're essentially removing a lot of the added value to urban living and if you have to drive to get to any services, then why would anyone pay over 300k for a condo downtown in OKC when you can get the same convenience by buying a nice house with that money elsewhere?

Urban Renewal seems to know nothing about what actually creates an urban environment. They don't understand the market. Trust me, the ones that will work best long term are the ones that are next to existing services, like the ones in or near bricktown, or include space for services in their plans. In my mind, they actually should not consider any proposals going forward that do not include some space for services in any area where services are not already established within walking distance.

7. Default Re: Midtown picking up serious momentum

I see your point, BDP.
    Continue the Renaissance

I think that Marva Ellard's proposal shows a building that really matches the architecture of Midtown. Urban dwelling is all about the convenience of nearby retail shops and restaurants. I think with all of the restaurants and shops that are going into Plaza Court and the buildings at 12th and Walker that the building would complement the area as well as Midtown. Also, The Osler building is being converted into high end residential condos and they have a head start on anything that can be built on the Mercy site. I walked through the building earlier this week and they have the interior almost completely gutted. The workers said they thought a restaurant was going in on the ground floor and that condos would be available this coming fall. I think The Osler will make great high end condos with the look of the building and the views that it will offer. I would love to live on one of the top floors of that building. The view of downtown is amazing. The Mercy site should be a transitional site between Heritage Hills and Midtown. I wonder what the developer of Midtown Renaissance thinks about the site? Obviously they didn't put in a bid.

Is it me or does the Overholser Greens drawing look like the Legacy project?

I am in favor of the Mercy Park.

Banta needs to update its website more often and also make it more user friendly. I noticed his signs on a number of buildings in Midtown but I want to know info. about them and how they are progressing. Does Banta ever build anything new or does he just renovate?

Banta has several new developments. They are building a shopping center at Memorial and Eastern and they have a office park at Northwest Expressway and Council. They have a construction company that does remodels and new construction.

12. Default Re: Midtown picking up serious momentum

I heard Banta is bankrolled by one of the huge car dealers in town as a tax shelter and investment. Anyone confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by trison View Post
    ... Also, The Osler building is being converted into high end residential condos and they have a head start on anything that can be built on the Mercy site. I walked through the building earlier this week and they have the interior almost completely gutted. The workers said they thought a restaurant was going in on the ground floor and that condos would be available this coming fall. I think The Osler will make great high end condos with the look of the building and the views that it will offer. I would love to live on one of the top floors of that building. The view of downtown is amazing...
    There are some great views, and i think it will look much better when everything's not so dead-looking!

Here's a view from the seventh (top) floor of the Osler looking toward downtown.
    Imagine this view at night!

this one's looking east towards Broadway.

it's really too bad that there's a building attached to the north, because you get beautiful views like this one... :/

Great pictures......rumor is they may be taking the building on the north down so that it is only 1 story. Just a rumor but that would sure changes the view.

i would love for them to take it down! I'm doing my interior design capstone project on the osler building... putting in condos on the 2nd-6th floors, and it's a stretch to have high-end condos with large areas w/out views... it's been a challenge!

Thread Information