Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sonics ownership group adds 4 members

1. Post Re: Sonics ownership group adds 4 members

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I'm not so sure. The Bennett group has been making a lot of noise down there re staying. It may be primarily to protect their short term interests, but they might also really be looking to develop something outside of the County. Time will tell I suppose.
    They are looking to protect their interests. If they announce tough luck, then lots of ticket holders will flee, leaving Bennet with an empty old stadium in downtown Seattle.

As for the King County interest, it will NOT happen.

1) The whole project is dependent upon State funding. It is highly likely that the state will continue its current stance, which is NO SUPPORT for the SONICS.

2) We will pass an initiative similar to the Seattle I-91, that will block funding at the state level; should Bennet or the chair of "ways and means of wa" try to introduce a "save our sonics" campaign. It would also be extended to King county level.

3) Nobody here is gonna fully fund the project (privately).

Bennet is not stupid enough to fund it himself - Seattle is not that much of a gold mine, trust me. Like was said earlier, we have given Bennet his "way out". I suspect he will do a "good faith" effort at the state and county - which we will block at that time. Once that happens, look for him to negotiate out of Key Arena and move the team to OKC once the Hornets return to NO (If they still are).

This could mean that OKC could have the Sonics/Storm as early as the 2008-2009 season. Pro Basketball all year in a FULL Ford Center!!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

2. Default Re: Sonics ownership group adds 4 members

Hot Rod... I so hope you are correct!!!! Go Sonics!
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Thread Information