Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mick Cornett running for congress

Default Re: Mick Cornett running for congress

QCG: Whad did you do on that Senate Campaign?

-- posting signs in people's yard or marching in a parade does not make you a political commentatrix.

quailcreekgal Guest

Event coordinator - making $3500 a month plus expenses. Got a fulltime job now but I can volunteer to put up yards signs. Anyone out there got Mick's campaign office phone number?

Patrick Guest

Which senate campaign?

quailcreekgal Guest

It was 4 years ago and I am not going to reveal more specific info about me to you on a public web forum, Patrick. I imagine you and Midtowner will take my refusal to be more specific as a green light to justify your continuing attacks on my opinions on this thread and any other thread I join. Not a problem for me so knock yourselves out, boys, I don't validate my self worth based on your approval.

I found the following info on the OKC Talk forum page and you might find it helpful to you:
    OKCTALK is a "big tent" message board which welcomes a broad range of opinions. As such, you are likely to disagree strongly with many of the comments you see expressed here. Please do not take these differences of opinion personally. The simple fact that someone disagrees with you does not give you the right to lash out and break the rules of this message board. A thick skin is usually required to participate on this or any message board.

QCG: Read that last sentence again. Repeat until you understand.

-- Literacy should be something we can all support!

Patrick Guest

I have thick skin. I'm not the one getting all upset. I'm simply making statements and asking questions to help my side of the debate.

I just love when people try to hide behind a message board. I'm not afraid to make my name known and my thoughts known here. I have nothing to hide.

ImproveOKC Guest

If you were David Walter's event coordinator, I feel sorry for you.

The two clowns I was referring to were the two grumpy old men than ran against Mick in the last election:

If one candidate does not receive a simple majority in the March 7 election, the general election will be April 4, 2006.

The Candidates

• Mick Cornett - The incumbent, Cornett was elected Mayor in 2004 when Kirk Humphries resigned the position to run for US Senate. Elected at the age of 45, he became the youngest OKC Mayor since 1959.

A native Oklahoman, Cornett was born and raised in OKC, attending high school at Putnam City. He made a name for himself in the metro as a television reporter and anchor, both in news and sports. He was on Oklahoma newscasts for nearly 20 years before going into private business in 1999.

A short time later, he was elected to the Oklahoma City Council, serving there for 3 years before his run for Mayor.

As Oklahoma City Mayor, Cornett has enjoyed the accolades associated with the continued success and growth of Bricktown, including bringing the NBA's New Orleans Hornets to OKC on a temporary basis following the Hurricane Katrina damage in Louisiana.

But his office points to other successes as well, emphasizing the MAPS for Kids initiatives, job creation and the improvement of the city's image.
    • Robert Waldrop - It's his long, gray beard that you first notice about Bob Waldrop, but it's his no-nonsense, unconventional campaign style that keeps you interested.

Waldrop is a native, 4th generation Oklahoman who grew up in Tillman County and is now the music director at Epiphany of the Lord Catholic Church. Running his mayoral campaign from a website and his living room, Waldrop wants to talk about issues such as energy conservation, opposition to the present plans to reroute I-40, privatizing Will Rogers Airport and a more frugal city government.

"Oklahoma City hands out a lot of money," he says. "And I am not sure that all of its subsidies are going for prudent causes. We need to examine each and every subsidy in the City’s budget and determine if it is to be continued or handled in another way."

But Waldrop does not accept campaign contributions to help get his message out. He calls giving money a "substitute for civic engagement," and he believes that word of mouth can do amazing things. In the end, he's primarily seeking to encourage personal involvement from residents in city policy issues.
    • Joe Nelson - 69-year-old Joe Nelson told the Oklahoman that he hates politics. He considers himself to have a common-man approach to his campaign for Mayor.

Nelson ran for Mayor in 2002 but was disqualified because of a problem with the signatures required for placement on the ballot.

He considers his primary campaign platform to revolve around cutting taxes for the poor, education support and the funding of health care.

"If I got elected mayor," he told the Oklahoman. "I'm gonna walk in there and just start chompin' at the bit and get the sales tax cut down right now."

Nelson speaks highly of current Mayor Mick Cornett as a friend, but the Vietnam War veteran hopes to defeat him in the coming election.

Not to worry OklaCity, there will always be a developer who is willing to run. In the past, they have taken turns with the city. There is certainly enough money to be made by having a bought-and-paid-for mayor, so someone will fill that slot and will probably win.

Survey Guest

I'm thinking Mick Cornett will lose the Rep seat. I hope he does.

I think he's got a heck of a shot based on name ID alone.

Survey Guest

Mary Fallin and Denise Bode have good name ID as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner
    Not to worry OklaCity, there will always be a developer who is willing to run. In the past, they have taken turns with the city. There is certainly enough money to be made by having a bought-and-paid-for mayor, so someone will fill that slot and will probably win.

The problem with most of our citizens is that they see the position of mayor as a small potatoes job.

They do not fully understand that in order to be a first class city we need a first class leader.

We need someone who has real goals for the city. We need a leader who will continue the journey that Mick is on. We need a larger airport that will be appealing to the next airline looking for a new hub. We need more corporate citizens and professional sports. The list goes on.

I refuse to vote for someone who has a miser’s mentality.

14. Default Re: Mick Cornett running for congress

Continue the Renaissance

quailcreekgal Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ImproveOKC
    If you were David Walter's event coordinator, I feel sorry for you.
    Other states elect senators, too, but I do appreciate your concern.

I support Mick Cornett as Mayor and candidate for Congress.

OKCTALK is a "big tent" message board which welcomes a broad range of opinions. As such, you are likely to disagree strongly with many of the comments you see expressed here. Please do not take these differences of opinion personally.

Survey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by quailcreekgal
    OKCTALK is a "big tent" message board which welcomes a broad range of opinions. As such, you are likely to disagree strongly with many of the comments you see expressed here. Please do not take these differences of opinion personally.
    Is that like supposed to be your signature or something because you're being pretty corny.

And if you really want to get back to topic, leave the forum rules out of this.

quailcreekgal Guest

Again, I support Mick Cornett as Mayor and candidate for Congress.
    Now you can go

Survey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by quailcreekgal
    Again, I support Mick Cornett as Mayor and candidate for Congress.
    Now you can go
    I think you've already said that.

quailcreekgal Guest

Go

Thread Information