Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marietta tornado fall out

Default Re: Marietta tornado fall out

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Drove down a main drag in Perry Sunday afternoon, and noticed they have a Dollar General; a Family Dollar/Dollar Tree duplex; and a Dollar General Market all within 2 miles. I then started singing the Jim Ed Brown "Dollar General Theme" to my wife. She put down the phone and looked at me like I was from Mars.
    Their Walmart closed over 5 years ago, so dollar stores have filled the gap left behind.

Family Dollar and Dollar Stores each closing up to 1000 stores.

We made a trip down to DFW over Memorial Day Weekend and drove right past the Dollar Tree Distribution Center in Marietta. With the tornado damage going right down the middle of the facility, you really get an idea of how massive the facility was on the inside as you can see all the way through. I think it is too early to determine the future, other than as of right now the employees that worked there will receive their last paycheck/hazard pay near the end of June and get some form of severance.

Dollar Stores appear to be at least some what thriving as they are targeted in very specific population and demographic areas across Texas and Oklahoma and as others stated fill in the gaps in communities where there isn't a quality grocery store or Walmart. Given the pure size of this facility, it seems that there is a fine balance of deciding to repair the damage, essentially deconstructing and rebuilding a fourth of the building if that is even possible given how the damage splits the center in two sections, versus building a whole new distribution center. Given the amount of land and lower costs of living in southern Oklahoma, it would be hard to find another place to build a facility of this size and able to keep the workforce at a lower costs of living/wages.

How do the Michelin and Dollar Tree facilities compare in size? Could Dollar Tree move into a vacated Michelin Plant quicker than building a new facility? Didn't Tinker AFB move into the GM Assembly Plant in 2008? It doesn't sound that far fetched?

On a related note, we also drove past the Valley View Texas tornado damage on I-35 on Monday as we returned back to OKC, despite the damage to the gas station and surrounding facilities, they are very fortunate the Wal-Mart distribution center about 2 miles straight south didn't get any noticeable damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    What is the allure?

The one and only time I went to a dollar store, I was living in SoSA and thought it would be cool to walk over to the Family Dollar at NW 11th and Classen. It was shockingly horrible: narrow aisles crammed with all types of junky merchandise in complete disarray, prices no better than Target, tons of trash in the parking lot, surly employee...

Yet, every time I drive by one of these places there are a bunch of cars in the parking lot... Why??

I get it in a small town with little choice but in OKC or any other city I just don't understand.

Pete, I am with you. I don't get the allure in places where there are many other choices. I have been in a dollar store once and quickly left, it was as you described above.

I think the allure is the illusion of a good deal and certain people like the "treasure hunt" aspect of these stores. Also, smaller quantities are appealing to those on a budget. For example, a 100 oz bottle of laundry detergent may costs $14 at a big box store, the dollar store may sell it for $5 in a 24oz option. The big box store is an overall better buy, but if you only have $5 to spend, you think the dollar store is the better deal. The dollar store also knows this, and by selling smaller quantities gets you back more often, hopefully getting you to do more impulse buying. Also, if you live close to one, it may be more convenient than making a trip a few miles down the road to a big box store for something like milk, soda, toilet paper, etc.

There has been a ton of economic research on the impact (good and bad) of dollar stores in communities, both rural and urban areas. Oklahoma alone has 1/3 of its population in a "food desert" (https://alliedhealth.ouhsc.edu/Porta...-25-095958-890)

What amazes me is that a dollar store can pop-up literally in the middle of nowhere and survive as they can pull in people who use it as a convenience store rather than driving to a populated area for a big box store. I think dollar stores operate, at least functionally, like an Aldi. Smaller stores, limited hours compared to the big box counter parts, fewer employees on the payroll, and most items purchased are purchased as essential items. As someone pointed out in another post, dollar stores can survive and serve a population where Walmart, Target, and bigger grocery stores financially can not.

The 'quick and easy and close' reasoning is interesting to me because it seems like CVS and Walgreens serve the same purpose and they were everywhere long before the dollar stores.
    Like others have said, there's a DG a block from my house, so it's the easiest quick stop. I have no illusions about DG being cheaper (price per ounce is almost always higher on stuff I buy), but it's the sweet spot for convenience. The Village is very fortunate to have a ton of grocery stores, drug stores, convenience, and a few dollar stores in very close proximity.

I can also pretty much roll into DG wearing whatever I might have on. I feel like I actually have to look presentable to go to a real store.

Are they rebuilding the dollar general distribution center or are they moving out of Marietta?

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    Are they rebuilding the dollar general distribution center or are they moving out of Marietta?
    It depends on your source and what your interpretation of "closed" is:

Dollar Tree has yet to make rebuild decision, despite reports - https://www.mariettamonitor.com/news...b0e7e68dd.html

Marietta Dollar Tree Distribution Center to close after tornado damage - https://www.kxii.com/video/2024/05/2...ornado-damage/

In any case, it appears the center in its current state is inoperable and will not re-open in a short time frame. Whether they relocate, consolidate with other Dollar Tree distribution centers, or attempt a full rebuild seem all too soon at this point.

Also for clarification, this is the Dollar Tree distribution center in Marietta, which could also serve/stock Family Dollar stores since Dollar Tree and Family Dollar are under the same parent company. There was a Dollar General store in Marietta that was damaged along with the Homeland grocery store next to it. It seems likely that the Dollar General retail store and Homeland will rebuild and re-open.

The Dollar General Distribution Center is located north east of Ardmore and continues to operate as it was not impacted by this storm.

7. Default Re: Marietta tornado fall out

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    The Dollar General distribution center was not damaged in the storms and is located at the Ardmore Municipal Airport.

Quote Originally Posted by jompster View Post
    I don't know that they really "changed" their format. They did purchase most if not all of Walmart's failed Walmart Express stores - which were basically a smaller Neighborhood Market.
    I guess I do not know what their older stores were like, but the one they built a few blocks from my neighborhood a year or two ago seems basically a mini Neighborhood Walmart, with the exception not really trying to be price competitive with Walmart or grocery stores in the area. Though I could see how there might be a niche for people just wanting an item quick and older people who should not be driving having an option can walk to and retain a level of independence for several more years.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    The Dollar General distribution center was not damaged in the storms and is located at the Ardmore Municipal Airport.
    Dollar tree my bad

Apparently they're not rebuilding. Huge blow to Marietta
    https://www.koco.com/article/mariett...osing/60939252

My guess is they will relocate to Dallas Fort Worth or Oklahoma City.

I don’t think Dollar Tree has any solid plan regarding rebuilding or replacing. The company announced last week that they are exploring selling off the Family Dollar chain. I’m guessing they clear the site and wait for a couple years to see what the company looks like then.

It is a good location, with an ample work force and solid government support.

https://youtu.be/vQpUV--2Jao?si=LwxJXh8B8SUe2Mvr For those asking how these stores stay afloat, I suggest you watch this. I found it very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth_RN View Post
    https://youtu.be/vQpUV--2Jao?si=LwxJXh8B8SUe2Mvr For those asking how these stores stay afloat, I suggest you watch this. I found it very interesting.
    Thanks for that - very interesting.

Also clearly demonstrates how these stores are a big negative for most the small towns and neighborhoods where they are located.

What is the allure?

The one and only time I went to a dollar store, I was living in SoSA and thought it would be cool to walk over to the Family Dollar at NW 11th and Classen. It was shockingly horrible: narrow aisles crammed with all types of junky merchandise in complete disarray, prices no better than Target, tons of trash in the parking lot, surly employee...

Yet, every time I drive by one of these places there are a bunch of cars in the parking lot... Why??

I get it in a small town with little choice but in OKC or any other city I just don't understand.
    Stuff is cheap. Contrary to popular belief, Oklahoma is considered a poor state. So cheap goods will always sell. Everyone doesn't have the money to go to the mall, or shop at HomeGoods and Target. So it definitely fills a gap.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Stuff is cheap. Contrary to popular belief, Oklahoma is considered a poor state. So cheap goods will always sell. Everyone doesn't have the money to go to the mall, or shop at HomeGoods and Target. So it definitely fills a gap.
    Well the illusion of cheapness anyway especially when it comes to Dollar General. I don't understand why people would go to a Dollar store over a Walmart if they live in a larger city.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Well the illusion of cheapness anyway especially when it comes to Dollar General. I don't understand why people would go to a Dollar store over a Walmart if they live in a larger city.
    As has been mentioned before, DG is a quick, run in and grab something, type of store for me. I don't do my grocery shopping there, but I can get in and out with what I need very quickly. Sometimes, that's important to me. I'll sometimes run into Braum's for a quick few groceries for the same reason. It's very convenient, and worth it, to me, for that convenience.

Thread Information