Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bun Box

1. Default Re: Bun Box

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    One thing that was always awkward was that this business model in that location was very "drive-thru" focused but the food always took as long to come out as at a counter service restaurant. Maybe the issue is my mentality but it was always hard to square sitting in my car that long.
    I rarely used the drive-thru. I live close by and would walk and have dinner there. This is another reason for its struggle. If you have a drive-thru, you need to have food ready to go.

Default Re: Bun Box

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    One thing that was always awkward was that this business model in that location was very "drive-thru" focused but the food always took as long to come out as at a counter service restaurant. Maybe the issue is my mentality but it was always hard to square sitting in my car that long.
    Similar experience.

One time I ordered food for pickup, drove over, and pulled into the drive-thru line for pickup. The car in front of me (around the corner) was at the window waiting. After a few minutes I realized the car in front of me was using Bun Box's drive as a traditional fast food drive-thru, placing their order at the window and then the Bun Box staff was preparing their food while they waited, at the window. Now there's a car behind me. I can't move. After several more minutes I finally got out of my car, convinced the vehicle behind me to back out, reversed out and went and parked at a nearby building. I walked over to the front window, and picked up my food which was no longer warm.

Massive frustration.

I think if they'd had a small, indoor seating situation and a 3-5 parking spots it may have been a success.

Bummer, food tasted great.

3. Default Re: Bun Box

This place appears to be another situation of good chef/bad business person.

I bet a boba tea place moves in.

They did have a small seating area behind that weird brick screen wall thing. It had maybe eight tables. But again, no parking. A tea place might do well there since they're quick to make.

Your going too see a lot of restaurants closing in the next couple of months. Other than stock market the economy is pretty bad. Now locally with the hail storm people need to find money to repair roofs and cars at least deductibles

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Your going too see a lot of restaurants closing in the next couple of months. Other than stock market the economy is pretty bad. Now locally with the hail storm people need to find money to repair roofs and cars at least deductibles
    For every restaurant that closes, I can list 10 that open with tons more planned.

8. Default Re: Bun Box

Yes I have seen a lot of new places open recently in Norman. Restaurants are a tough business so they have always been up and down. Really need to own your own building to avoid that rent increase though.

Retail sales were up last month, unemployment is still low and inflation is back to normal. I think you're just going off a hunch and not real data.

Flip side of the hail storm, people get a big insurance check, put it in their pocket, dont get their dents fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Retail sales were up last month, unemployment is still low and inflation is back to normal. I think you're just going off a hunch and not real data.

Flip side of the hail storm, people get a big insurance check, put it in their pocket, dont get their dents fixed.

True about not getting their car fixed. I just talked to someone doing that very same thing. As far as recession unemployment is ticking up, savings are at an all time low, credit card debt all time high, people working 2 jobs more than ever. If were not careful we are heading that way. J.P Morgan just raised the percentage to 35 up from 25. It takes 16 months something like that to realize a recession.

As far as new restaurants opening good for them just because they open doesn't make them profitable. Usually they don't close until they are so far in debt they have no choice

Quote Originally Posted by jompster View Post
    They did have a small seating area behind that weird brick screen wall thing. It had maybe eight tables. But again, no parking. A tea place might do well there since they're quick to make.
    We always just parked in the TLC lot behind it. I guess I often went on weekends, but it was always completely empty. It never even occured to me that it might not be allowed.

Really gutted to hear it is closing. We went frequently and loved the food.

12. Default Re: Bun Box

As far as new restaurants opening good for them just because they open doesn't make them profitable. Usually they don't close until they are so far in debt they have no choice
    Oklahoma City has a thriving, profitable restaurant industry. Your comments are laughable.

13. Default Re: Bun Box

This has more to do with the Operator realizing the plan was unsuitable and moving on to other things. Her family still runs Lee's Sandwiches down the street, and she is on the board for the Asian District. She runs the Asian Night Market Festival and is busy with other things. The concept was cool, but it didn't work. It is not because of the economy.

14. Default Re: Bun Box

It sounds like the Operator, who also owns the building, already has someone lined up to take over the location. It will probably not be Bun Box but a different concept.

15. Default Re: Bun Box

According to her latest Insta post, bunbox 2.0 is now open in the pink building across the street

I was told it was going to be a coffee shop that specializes in Asian coffees

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    According to her latest Insta post, bunbox 2.0 is now open in the pink building across the street
    All I saw at the pink building (due south of Bun Box) were some pop-up canopies and astroturf.

I don't understand what is happening here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    All I saw at the pink building (due south of Bun Box) were some pop-up canopies and astroturf.

I don't understand what is happening here.
    Went here on Saturday. It sounds like the setup in front of the pink building is a testing ground for them moving to an events-only model. They're currently prepping/testing for the Asian Night Market. Something else is already planned for the current Bun Box building, but wouldn't say what that is yet.

19. Default Re: Bun Box

Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    Went here on Saturday. It sounds like the setup in front of the pink building is a testing ground for them moving to an events-only model. They're currently prepping/testing for the Asian Night Market. Something else is already planned for the current Bun Box building, but wouldn't say what that is yet.
    https://www.instagram.com/hqcoffeeok...g2ZG9weWViYw==
    Looks like a coffee shop

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    Does anyone know much about the owner of this building? I remember seeing a real estate sign up years ago, and then taken down. And obviously the owner has allowed it to be used for a vehicle of some interesting art, so maybe some sense of community mindedness?

Thread Information