Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Billy Sims BBQ

1. Default Re: Billy Sims BBQ

^^^^^^^^^^
    That surprises me. Which is the first?

My own opinion of Billy Sims is that the meat is usually OK but not great, but that the sides are a complete fail. I know that in theory BBQ is all about the meat, but IMO the BEST Q places usually also have dynamite sides. BS tastes to me like they might've been unloaded off of the U.S. Foods trailer ten minutes prior.

Default Re: Billy Sims BBQ

Earl's is better than B.S., so I'm guessing that's his No. 1 chain pick?

I usually get the mac and cheese, and potato salad at B.S. They're not amazing, but like I said up thread, I can walk to one, so it meets the "BBQ sounds good..." need.

3. Default Re: Billy Sims BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    That surprises me. Which is the first?
    When Swadley's gets it right I think they have the best Q of the chains....... I rank them in this order but the Top 3 are pretty much interchangable any given day.

Swadley's
    Billy Sims
    Van's Pig Stand
    Earl's
    Rib Crib
    Dickey's

i'm surprised you rank billy sim's so highly... i was thoroughly disappointed with that place. maybe it's just the location i went to (sw 119th & western) but all of the meat is precooked and they essentially just reheat everything on-site. -M

5. Default Re: Billy Sims BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i'm surprised you rank billy sim's so highly... i was thoroughly disappointed with that place. maybe it's just the location i went to (sw 119th & western) but all of the meat is precooked and they essentially just reheat everything on-site. -M
    Well that depends on how you define highly.... Chains rate at the very bottom of my list...... So that would put Billy Sims 5th from the bottom.

Steve's Rib is by far my favorite in the metro.

7. Default Re: Billy Sims BBQ

I agree, I dot rank Billy Simms very high on my list or the one above. It is average at best. Dickey's is pretty good but I like Leo's the best. As for Chains I like Earls, Swadleys or Rib Crib too.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    I agree, I dot rank Billy Simms very high on my list or the one above. It is average at best. Dickey's is pretty good but I like Leo's the best. As for Chains I like Earls, Swadleys or Rib Crib too.
    I had some ribs from Rib Crib a couple of weeks ago and they were mushy and overcooked. As it was the day after their all you can eat rib day, I am guessing they cooked too many the day before.

However, last week we went to Iron Starr for our Xmas party and one of the choices was the St Louis Ribs. The ribs were excellent texture and taste. I like a little bolder rub but the taste was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I had some ribs from Rib Crib a couple of weeks ago and they were mushy and overcooked. As it was the day after their all you can eat rib day, I am guessing they cooked too many the day before.

However, last week we went to Iron Starr for our Xmas party and one of the choices was the St Louis Ribs. The ribs were excellent texture and taste. I like a little bolder rub but the taste was excellent.
    Iron Starr is about the only BBQ place in OKC we frequent, shame they took the Gran Sport Porter off their tap list, went so well with the quail breast appetizers and pulled pork, but at least it's in cans now...

10. Default Re: Billy Sims BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post

Definitely love Iron Star. Great Ribs and pretty much everything else too.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    When Swadley's gets it right I think they have the best Q of the chains....... I rank them in this order but the Top 3 are pretty much interchangable any given day.

Swadley's
    Billy Sims
    Van's Pig Stand
    Earl's
    Rib Crib
    Dickey's
    Those bottom two are a tough call. Did you flip a coin?

A few months ago I would 100% agree with your bottom feeder rankings but the last time I ate ribs at Billy Simms I'd wager a dollar they microwaved ribs from the previous day. I've eaten enough nuked food to spot those irregular hot spots. So I'm gonna put BS down there with RC/Dickies.

12. Default Re: Billy Sims BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Those bottom two are a tough call. Did you flip a coin?
    HAHA.... They could all be a coin toss!

i saw a 'coming soon' sign at sw 119th & western for 'cornish smokehouse'... i assume that it's going in where billy sims was.

here's there facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/cornishsmokehouse/

i saw a 'coming soon' sign at sw 119th & western for 'cornish smokehouse'... i assume that it's going in where billy sims was.

here's there facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/cornishsmokehouse/
    Can't be any worse than Billy Sims was at that same location. It. Was. Dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerdave
    Can't be any worse than Billy Sims was at that same location. It. Was. Dreadful.

yeah, billy sims is pretty much at the bottom of my barbecue list... we went to the location on 119th once… when the person behind the counter cut the brisket out of a vacuum sealed plastic bag, i knew what I was in for. never went back.

i can't seem to remember the name of the barbecue joint that it replaced... something like cowboy bbq?

16. Default Re: Billy Sims BBQ

Cornish Smokehouse's food truck used to come to my office every once in a while. They weren't stand-out, but I enjoyed the food each time.

I live right by the Billy Sims on 23rd but pretty much the only time I eat at one is when I am travelling for work.
    Last time I was in there they notified me that Billy Sims was no longer serving the smoked chicken caesar salad (as he stood underneath a 3 ft tall hanging advertisement for said salad) which is they only thing I ever order from there. Not sure if that goes for all of their salads or just the ceasar.

18. Default Re: Billy Sims BBQ

Yes and where Smokeshack was prior to Sims.... I know Cornish was trying to open a north side location but that apparently fell through.

Have not tried their truck.... 2 BBQ places have failed there already... So I wish them luck.

Thread Information