Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tulsa Area Road Projects

Default Re: Tulsa Area Road Projects

Because ODOT has sh!t for funding.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    I'm sure it's limited funding, but if you are going to the effort to re-build this two mile stretch, with all the construction vehicles there why not add three more miles of widening to the north to the Highway 20 interchange? 96th Street and 106th Street (HWY 20) are major retail corridors with heavy traffic in Owasso and the area continues to be one of the areas of the Tulsa metro adding people.

The project in its current state seems like a lot of work for a two mile stretch.
    the next 2 bridge projects are already on the 8 year plan ..

bridge at 96th is being replaced and widened in 2027
    bridge at 106th is being replaced and widened in 2029

utilities and right of way on the main line widening are also occurring in28 and 29 all the way to 116th (highway 20) ..

construction on that will follow shortly after likely in 31 or 32 (i bet it is on the 8 year plan that comes out in the next couple of months)

The I-44/SH-66 interchange in Catoosa Will be completely rebuilt, so the exit will be moved to the right. Improvements will be made to other roadways as well. This is a very much needed project. Tulsa got a couple of good bids awarded this month, including a major interchange which I’ll post on another thread.

Commissioners awarded several contracts, among them an interchange improvement project for I-44 at SH-66 in Catoosa. The $42 million project will straighten a significant curve on I-44, allow for added capacity, higher speeds and provide better access to the area. A $16 million project will resurface and add shoulders to 6 miles of US-281 at US-412, near Chester in Major County in Northwestern Oklahoma.
    - https://oklahoma.gov/odot/about-us/n...dge-and-i.html

Where are the plans for that? I despise ODOT’s website.

That Catoosa project has been needed for a long time. I seem to remember seeing plans drawn up for it years ago, but it was shelved for some reason? Something about people in Catoosa not wanting it? My memory is fuzzy now, and I could be getting it confused with a different project.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    That Catoosa project has been needed for a long time. I seem to remember seeing plans drawn up for it years ago, but it was shelved for some reason? Something about people in Catoosa not wanting it? My memory is fuzzy now, and I could be getting it confused with a different project.
    Unless they were being asked for a local match that seems unlikely, depending on how done would not even need additional land.

This is a very much needed project.
    It looks like why this ramp seems quirky today is this is still using half the sections of the old I-44 / US 66 split, which would fit age wise for why that bridge formerly over old I-44 (now over nothing but grass) would need either replaced or major refurbishment around now.

I found what I was remembering: it was an alternate design proposed years ago that would have potentially closed some ramps: https://www.claremoreprogress.com/ne...ceb8605dc.html

That was seven years ago, and the designs were being kicked around for a decade before that. At this point it will have taken them at least 20 years to fix that wonky bend by the time it finally opens to traffic.

Thread Information