Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kimray New Headquarters

Default Re: Kimray New Headquarters

The residential property owners on the east side of Eastern are trying to rally a protest against the development. I live in the area and don't see a problem with it, but I don't live right across the street either.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyOKC View Post
    The residential property owners on the east side of Eastern are trying to rally a protest against the development. I live in the area and don't see a problem with it, but I don't live right across the street either.
    Another group of people who don't own a piece of property trying to dictate what happens to it...... awesome. Not really worried about though, I'm pretty sure this will still pass.

3. Default Re: Kimray New Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Another group of people who don't own a piece of property trying to dictate what happens to it...... awesome.
    So they shouldn't have any say in the rezoning process? Eh, comrade?

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    So they shouldn't have any say in the rezoning process? Eh, comrade?
    They can talk all they want, but they need to stay the hell out of the way of progress.

They can talk all they want, but they need to stay the hell out of the way of progress.
    I'm not saying at all that this isn't a good project, plupan, but you might feel differently if it was across the street from you. There is a process in place for protesting zoning for a good reason. Sometimes it works well and sometimes it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'm not saying at all that this isn't a good project, plupan, but you might feel differently if it was across the street from you. There is a process in place for protesting zoning for a good reason. Sometimes it works well and sometimes it doesn't.
    Across the street from me is houses. They are building on open land. If I moved to a neighborhood with a vacant lot across from it, I would know no matter what, there is the chance of it being rezoned.

Across the street from me is houses. They are building on open land. If I moved to a neighborhood with a vacant lot across from it, I would know no matter what, there is the chance of it being rezoned.
    There is also a chance that the houses across the street from you could be torn down and the property could be rezoned. That's a weak argument, plupan. Again, I'm totally in favor of this development and don't think the protest will have any affect. But to say they should not be involved or try to protect their interests is not realistic.

There is also a chance that the houses across the street from you could be torn down and the property could be rezoned. That's a weak argument, plupan. Again, I'm totally in favor of this development and don't think the protest will have any affect. But to say they should not be involved or try to protect their interests is not realistic.
    I highly doubt the neighborhood across the street from me would be torn down and this built. I think OKC is more likely to see the next Khalifa Tower built here before that would happen, trust me on that. I wouldn't mind if it did though, I am a pretty open minded person.

Progress is perception and democracy is messy.

I highly doubt the neighborhood across the street from me would be torn down and this built. I think OKC is more likely to see the next Khalifa Tower built here before that would happen, trust me on that. I wouldn't mind if it did though, I am a pretty open minded person.
    So I guess that means you wouldn't mind if an industrial plant was built across the street from you so, fair enough. I made my point and I have no problem with those who live nearby to exercise their rights to protest.

So I guess that means you wouldn't mind if an industrial plant was built across the street from you so, fair enough. I made my point and I have no problem with those who live nearby to exercise their rights to protest.
    This is a manufacturing facility, not an industrial plant.

12. Default Re: Kimray New Headquarters

So it's ok to protest against an industrial plant? Just trying to figure out the rules.

This is a manufacturing facility, not an industrial plant.
    Its the same thing, a manufactuing facility is a type of industrial plant, but I know what you mean. Its not like a refinery or anything.

Noun 1. industrial plant - buildings for carrying on industrial labor; "they built a large plant to manufacture automobiles"

I would think the biggest issue with this facility would be the large amount of big trucks rolling in and out of there and up and down the surrounding streets.

I'm sure that issue will come up around the rezoning.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Progress is perception and democracy is messy.

Not to get too side tracked, but the idea of "progress" is a manifestation of a western, scientific ethic that emerged out of Enlightenment Europe. The problem is that progress is often defined in terms of new technologies without consideration to effects. It kind of gets to a key question in Jurassic Park (low quality link), paraphrased, we're so often preoccupied with whether we can do something, we forget to ask if we should.

Okay, sorry for the off topic philosophical conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    So it's ok to protest against an industrial plant? Just trying to figure out the rules.
    it's OK to protest against anything... It's your right

I think that this is great for KimRay and Oklahoma city for Kimray to relocate.

It works great for them because they are highly profitable company that is experiencing a lot of growth. It opens up Sante Fe avenue for a new opportunity. Their existing location is very close to downtown, and this area has a lot of potential to increase the density within the core of Oklahoma City.

And to be honest, this is actual a pretty attractive manufacturing facility for Oklahoma. We all know that we have see worse. I actually can see quite a few windows! It could definitely be much better, but they are not breaking any rules.

Also, just a side note, this is a very conservative company based out of Oklahoma, and I would say that this is outside of the box for them.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanCOWBOY View Post
    I think that this is great for KimRay and Oklahoma city for Kimray to relocate.

It works great for them because they are highly profitable company that is experiencing a lot of growth. It opens up Sante Fe avenue for a new opportunity. Their existing location is very close to downtown, and this area has a lot of potential to increase the density within the core of Oklahoma City.

And to be honest, this is actual a pretty attractive manufacturing facility for Oklahoma. We all know that we have see worse. I actually can see quite a few windows! It could definitely be much better, but they are not breaking any rules.

Also, just a side note, this is a very conservative company based out of Oklahoma, and I would say that this is outside of the box for them.
    Good points. As I was driving by this morning, I realized how spread out they are currently... organizing their existing space, or redeveloping on site, would be a very expensive project compared to a new build. Not sure I agree with the location, but I understand the need.

Article in Oklahoman today said there are 6 protest letters.

Also, Kimray conducted a traffic study and found there would be no major impact to the area.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/3946666

22. Default Re: Kimray New Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I don't see any issue with this. Glad to see the NE get some love.
    Do you really think he loves you? Er I mean Kimray

It appears that this has been decided with Kimray working actively to address concerns of the neighbors.

Panel approves plans for new Oklahoma City Kimray campus | News OK

The Oklahoma City Planning Commission has approved oil-field equipment maker Kimray Inc.’s plans to build a new corporate headquarters at E Britton Road and N Eastern Avenue over the objections of some residents in the area.
    Speaking before the planning commission on Thursday, Kimray CEO Tom Hill said the company had worked to address residents’ concerns.

During the presentation at the planning commission there was a focus on screening the parking lot from the street. I was disappointed that no one mentioned sidewalks along the streets. IMO a missed opportunity that I hope the council will address.

^ doesn't the city require sidewalks along streets that a new construction project fronts?

Thread Information