Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Braves planning new suburban stadium in 2017

Default Re: Braves planning new suburban stadium in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    This is a nice little article that I read earlier today that kinda makes this whole ordeal sound a little bit prettier than it actually is.
    They put a nice spin on it but I doubt they have been to the area the new stadium is being built if they think there is even the most remote chance it could ever be made walkable. Metro-Atlanta does have some great urban places outside of downtown/Midtown - but the Cumberland area isn't one of them. If it was me and I was going to move the team I would put it in West-Midtown (within a 1/2 mile of the intersection Howell Mill Road and Marietta St).

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    They put a nice spin on it but I doubt they have been to the area the new stadium is being built if they think there is even the most remote chance it could ever be made walkable. Metro-Atlanta does have some great urban places outside of downtown/Midtown - but the Cumberland area isn't one of them.
    It definitely isn't. I read another article last week in the Atlanta Business Chronicle in which Cobb County chairman Tim Lee stated an idea of a bridge spanning I-75 going from the Cumberland Mall to the new stadium that would include transportation of some sort, as well as the bridge being promoted as pedestrian friendly. It's a nice idea, but the Cumberland area is light years away from being a walkable, urban paradise that the fine folks of Cobb County try to make it seem.

If it was me and I was going to move the team I would put it in West-Midtown (within a 1/2 mile of the intersection Howell Mill Road and Marietta St).
    From the day I first heard about this, the question that has been ringing in my head is "why not Midtown???" & I've even thought of the Howell Mill Rd & Marietta St area. That has become a booming part of West-Midtown that would be a really good fit for a baseball stadium.

4. Default Re: Braves planning new suburban stadium in 2017

Blog Entries

It's a smaller stadium, so that could correlate (though I doubt it). But it's sounding increasingly like a debacle. I hope the train-wreck of a first day is well documented and posted here for our viewing enjoyment...

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    It's a smaller stadium, so that could correlate (though I doubt it). But it's sounding increasingly like a debacle. I hope the train-wreck of a first day is well documented and posted here for our viewing enjoyment...
    It's still about 3 1/2 years before it'll be ready to go, but as long as OKCTalk is still up & going & I'm living in Atlanta in 2017, then I'll get something for everyone's viewing pleasure.

Blog Entries

For the record, I don't actually WANT it to be a debacle. But I think it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    For the record, I don't actually WANT it to be a debacle. But I think it will be.
    I'm sure it's gonna be a debacle. The mayor of Atlanta & the chairman of Cobb County are already running into disagreements about transportation to the stadium.

Here's a funny picture I saw today that actually depicts the whole thing rather accurately.

FYI: The Braves released some conceptual renderings (the above picture is one of the renderings, albeit edited obviously; there's four in total) that I'll post later unless someone else decides to do it before I'm able to.

I said there's four conceptual renderings, but there's actually three. The fourth picture is the site plan.

Here they are:

If only we had the renditions from 17 years of the current Turner Field. I'll bet they show shops and pedestrians as well.

If only we had the renditions from 17 years of the current Turner Field. I'll bet they show shops and pedestrians as well.
    I'm sure. I'm not gonna get too down on them presenting a pedestrian friendly area around the new stadium, but I highly doubt it happens, & even if it does happen, I HIGHLY doubt it'll look anything like that.

This is a huge win for braves and braves fans.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    This is a huge win for braves and braves fans.
    I'm not trying to imply you're wrong, but why do you say that?

I think the stadium is fine where it is going. There is no need for everything to have to be 100% walkable or in an urban environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I think the stadium is fine where it is going. There is no need for everything to have to be 100% walkable or in an urban environment.
    The problem isn't walkability. The problem is the area it's going in at. Not because it's in suburban Atlanta, Mr. defend-the-suburbs-at-the-drop-of-the-ball (pun intended), but because it's in a part of Atlanta with incredibly bad traffic. I don't know how well you know Atlanta, but as someone who travels this section of roadway regularly (not daily, just regularly), it's a pain in the arse & that's why I'm not standing at the future site (which is pretty much a forest currently) with my sign saying "build this beesh already!!!" Not because it's not walkable or urban, but because it's going to suck trying to get in & out of the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    The problem isn't walkability. The problem is the area it's going in at. Not because it's in suburban Atlanta, Mr. defend-the-suburbs-at-the-drop-of-the-ball (pun intended), but because it's in a part of Atlanta with incredibly bad traffic. I don't know how well you know Atlanta, but as someone who travels this section of roadway regularly (not daily, just regularly), it's a pain in the arse & that's why I'm not standing at the future site (which is pretty much a forest currently) with my sign saying "build this beesh already!!!" Not because it's not walkable or urban, but because it's going to suck trying to get in & out of the area.
    I've been to Atlanta once or twice, so I don't know the city that well. It just gets incredibly annoying that whenever something nice is proposed in the suburbs, a lot of people around seem to love to bash it and complain that it isn't being built in downtown or closer to downtown. Same thing happened with the new Edmond Sportsplex with people saying it should be in the ring off of I235.

I don't always defend the suburbs, I just try to look at it from a different perspective I guess. I honestly wouldn't care if it were built in Midtown Atlanta(which I know nothing about), I just find it funny that people are upset it is in suburbia. The stadium seems really nice and with the right marketing and developers, I'm sure you could get those buildings built there.

Anyhow, ATL is your city dude, you'd know it better than me. I honestly didn't realize you live(d) there so I'm not going to argue with you haha. . . From the pics I've seen, ATL looks awesome and a great place to live. I would love to explore the city in depth eventually!

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I've been to Atlanta once or twice, so I don't know the area that well. It just gets incredibly annoying that whenever something nice is proposed in the suburbs, a lot of people around seem to love to bash it and complain that it isn't being built in downtown or closer to downtown. Same thing happened with the new Edmond Sportsplex with people saying it should be in the ring off of I235.

I don't always defend the suburbs, I just try to look at it from a different perspective I guess. I honestly wouldn't care if it were built in Midtown Atlanta(which I know nothing about), I just find it funny that people are upset it is in suburbia. The stadium seems really nice and with the right marketing and developers, I'm sure you could get those buildings built there.

Anyhow, ATL is your city dude, you'd know it better than me. I honestly didn't realize you live(d) there so I'm not going to argue with you haha. . . From the pics I've seen, ATL looks awesome and a great place to live. I would love to explore the city in depth eventually!
    No, it's all good my man. A lot of what I said was tongue in cheek. I don't mind that it's in the suburbs, it has a lot of potential if the renderings released ever come to fruition. I don't mind that you defend the suburbs sometimes, I generally like your perspectives. I wasn't meaning to sound rude about it or anything.

The thing about Midtown Atlanta is there's a lot of housing there & there's a ship load more coming online (two 46 story residential skyscrapers & one 56 story residential/hotel skyscraper were announced the other day on top of the numerous residential units already U/C or proposed, Georgia Tech's main campus is in & around Midtown, there's a number of tourist attractions, high paying jobs, retail, dining in Midtown, etc., etc.) & that's why I like Midtown more than I do Cumberland. It's the place to be, so to speak, & is kind of a duh choice for something like this (at least you'd think).

I'm just here for college, but I may end up staying in Atlanta for good once I graduate. I'm between ATL & OKC a lot & I'm almost always on OKCTalk when I'm not busy with life. ATL is a really nice place & the natural beauty is top of the line for a city so massive. It has its flaws just like every city & if you're a borderline obsessive urbanist then its definitely not a place you'll want to be in for a very long time, but it's making incredible strives to become more transit friendly & less car dependent, although that's remarkably hard & enduring for a city of 5.5 million that doesn't have much of a transit system already in place (MARTA is kind of hit & miss but is reliable if what you need is along its lines).

19. Default Re: Braves planning new suburban stadium in 2017

Thread Information