Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: College Football - Week 1

Default Re: College Football - Week 1

Well after this shutout I think it's time to say its the best of the Stoops era.

I was forced to watch an entire game on twitter. lol I hate it when OU has PPV games but I know its for a good cause.

Nice to see some DEFENSE! Boomer!

4. Default Re: College Football - Week 1

Top 25 run down for those that played Saturday...

Red = Upset based on rankings, even though Pre-season rankings are pretty worthless.

• #1 Alabama @ VTech - Bama 35, VT 10
    • #2 tOSU hosts Buffalo - tOSU 40, Buff 20
    • #3 Oregon hosts Nicholls State - ORE 66, NS 3
    • #5 Georgia @ #8 Clemson - Clemson 38, UGA 35
    • #7 TAMU hosts Rice - A&M 52, Rice 31
    • #10 Florida hosts Toledo - Fla 24, UT 6
    • #12 LSU vs. #20 TCU in Dallas - LSU 37, TCU 27
    • #13 Ok St vs. Miss St in Houston - OSU 21, MSU 3
    • #14 ND hosts Temple - ND 28, Temple 6
    • #15 Texas hosts NM St - Texas 56, NMST 7
    • #16 OU hosts LA Monroe - OU 34, LAMON 0
    • #17 Mich hosts CMU - Mich 59, CMU 9
    • #18 Nebraska hosts Wyoming - NU 37, Wyoming 34
    • #19 Boise @ Washington - UW over Boise 38-6
    • #21 UCLA hosts Nevada - UCLA 58, Nev 20
    • #22 Northwestern @ Cal - NWRN 44, Cal 30
    • #23 Wisc hosts UMass - Wisc 45, UMass 0
    • #25 Oregon St hosts E Wash - EW 49, OSU 46

Remaining games Sun & Mon:

• #9 Louisville hosts Ohio (Sun)
    • #11 FSU @ Pitt (Mon)

I know you posted upsets based on rankings, but Vegas had Washington as a 4 point favorite over Boise.

Boise looked bad in addition to losing. Cal was up on Northwestern when I turned it off, I guess NW came back to win.

Blog Entries

Good week for both state schools on Saturday. Hope the teams don't get to overly optimistic; we have a long season ahead.

8. Default Re: College Football - Week 1

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    WHY IS THE OU GAME NOT TELEVISED?

GRRRRRRRRRRRR! It's the first game of the season! Cmon!
    OU is not the blue blood program it once was where a 38-0 throttling of Popcorn State is actually must-see TV. OSU wouldnt have been televised either had we not played a marquee game against a mid-to-good SEC program capable of beating us. Granted, I think OU (still a very successful program under the Stoops racket) should be much more attractive than Ohio State or Texas throttling (or perioidically struggling with) a Popcorn State, but those are programs that entire huge states will watch even in down years.

The tOSU phenomenon is truly frustrating for alumni of other schools living in Ohio who want to watch something other than the most overrated team in history. And they will always be televised prominently even if they play Crater State on the Moon at 10 am on a Friday because Buckeye Nation is larger than most European countries.

9. Default Re: College Football - Week 1

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Good week for both state schools on Saturday. Hope the teams don't get to overly optimistic; we have a long season ahead.
    I don't understand the OU media lumping their shutout of duck dynasty State U in the same headline or sentence as OSU's solid win.

10. Default Re: College Football - Week 1

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    OU is not the blue blood program it once was where a 38-0 throttling of Popcorn State is actually must-see TV. OSU wouldnt have been televised either had we not played a marquee game against a mid-to-good SEC program capable of beating us. Granted, I think OU (still a very successful program under the Stoops racket) should be much more attractive than Ohio State or Texas throttling (or perioidically struggling with) a Popcorn State, but those are programs that entire huge states will watch even in down years.

The tOSU phenomenon is truly frustrating for alumni of other schools living in Ohio who want to watch something other than the most overrated team in history. And they will always be televised prominently even if they play Crater State on the Moon at 10 am on a Friday because Buckeye Nation is larger than most European countries.
    Living up around there, friends I have in Ohio I always give crap for their unwavering overhyped support for Buckeyes. It is pretty sad that the entire state essentially ignores the other 6 FBS schools in the state. Yeah none of them will ever probably make a run for a national title, but I always find the MAC schools more fun to watch.

11. Default Re: College Football - Week 1

The MAC schools generally are surprisingly decent programs, they all have very solid basketball programs (complete w okay-to-great facilities), and the campuses are always huge. I am always surprised at the size of schools like Bowling Green, Akron, Toledo, Kent State, Ohio, Miami, etc.

The thing with tOSU is that I think NE Ohio would be more diversified if Penn State wasn't shamed and Michigan had done anything in the last 8 or so years. tOSU might be more dominant over the B1G than ever before because its basically them and the 13 munchkins.

Spartan,

ULM was a decent team last year, beating Arky and nearly beating Auburn. They scored against everyone. Not a statement win for OU of any kind, but a great defensive performance against a potent offensive team.

13. Default Re: College Football - Week 1

The MAC schools generally are surprisingly decent programs, they all have very solid basketball programs (complete w okay-to-great facilities), and the campuses are always huge. I am always surprised at the size of schools like Bowling Green, Akron, Toledo, Kent State, Ohio, Miami, etc.

The thing with tOSU is that I think NE Ohio would be more diversified if Penn State wasn't shamed and Michigan had done anything in the last 8 or so years. tOSU might be more dominant over the B1G than ever before because its basically them and the 13 munchkins.
    I've always enjoyed watching BGSU play. When they first came out with Urban's offense many years ago they were pretty exciting and gave teams fits.

I thought this map was pretty interesting. It is a facebook generated map based on fans of the top 25 teams and where they are concentrated.

They typically have one PPV game a season (I know because I have bought one almost every season) and exercise their Tier III rights in that way. This game could have been picked up by someone but we all knew it wasn't going to be a Tier I broadcast (ABC/ESPN), I would guess one PPV game is pretty much negotiated with FSN (the Tier II distribution network) to move it to Tier III. That should be the only Tier III/PPV game this season.

Texas did the same thing with their game being on the LHN which is their Tier III distribution network, the Big 10 and Pac 12 has their own networks to handle the Tier III broadcasts. In granting their Tier III rights to the conference networks they bypass the ability to retain their own network or PPV rights, I do remember some Ohio State PPV games before the Big 10 Network existed. That was why Texas was reluctant to change conferences because they would lose exclusive rights to Tier III broadcasts which the Big 12 allows.

Wow, how many national football championships will OSU have to win before it can find majority fans in more than one county in that map above?

Thread Information