Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Urban Transportation OKC 2020

Default Re: Urban Transportation OKC 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner&RiceGrad
    Here's what light rail in OKC would look like:

I see one of our current rubber-tire trollies in that picture.

gtelmore Guest

Check Gomaco Trolleys on the web to see the new vintage trolleys they sell and to see the detail on the system Little Rock is now installing. That's right -- Little Rock, less dense than OKC.

Vintage trolleys are a good start. That's what the proposed 1996 2.7 mile circulator in Downtown / Bricktown might have used and it's not only cheaper than light rail but has tremendous charm. Extend that circulator down Harvey and up Hudson, linking it to Rail Diesel Cars like those used by DART Trinity Railway Express at Union Station, or even the newer Colorado Rail Car DMUs (check the net on those) and we could immediately establish rail service linking Will Rogers Airport to Downtown (former Frisco line -- whose link to Union Station would be entirely destroyed by the "New Crosstown") -- also serving Farmers Market, Stockyards, Wheatland, Mustang, Tuttle / Newcastle, Chickasha, Lawton/ Ft. Sill and Altus / Altus AFB. Link an interim rail stop at Airport Freeway / S. Meridian to the WRA terminal using a motor trolley or shuttle bus. This can be done NOW.

Folks -- the argument about the effectiveness and acceptability of rail transit is over. Phoenix, Little Rock, Austin, and other Westerm cities are going with it. They've LEARNED from St. Louis, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Denver and Salt Lake.

The key is this: If you HAVE a rail network, USE it. That TRUMPS "density" arguments. Strange, isn't it, that we "have the density to carry $40 billion in unfunded highway maintenance need around on our shoulders," and we "have the density to pay $2.16 a gallon for gasoline," and we "have the density to pay $500 million for 5 miles of unnecessary new expressway," but we "DON'T" have the density to establish universally accessible transport using existing assets!?! It's a bunch of diversionary doublespeak and always has been.

Here's the simple truth - NO OTHER CITY IN THE WEST would now do what we're about to do with an asset like OKC Union Station. No city, that is, except ours.

Rail transportation CREATES new densities. It raises property values and revitalizes old urban neighborhoods and business areas. It increases mobility with no down side. It brings people -- without their cars, and without new parking need, street congestion and pollution. As XD John Landrum of Dallas' seminal McKinney Avenue Transit System (vintage trolleys started on 1887 rail lines in McKinney Avenue 15 years ago...), "our trolleys have created a restaurant row where there wasn't one before and brought in $100 million in new commercial development; the message is clear: pick a place you want economic development and put rail service in there!"

There's a reason Mayor Rocky Anderson of Salt Lake pleads with other cities not to make the mistake Salt Lake made in the presumptuous, precipitous destruction of its historic Rio Grande and Union Paciific Rail Yards prior to the coming of TRAX. They're "working around it now" -- but at high, high cost, and what they develop will NEVER be as good as what they had.

ODOT's policies and "leaders" over the last 20 years have put us into $40 billion of unfunded highway maintenance need. What they propose today is MORE of what they've always done. There's no excuse for that to be sure -- but what excuse is there for a citizenry that would blindly continue to follow such people?

Our children and grandchildren will surely note that whatever decision we make about the Union Station yard will have been made in the face of overwhelming data urging its preservation and reuse, in the "post 9-11-01 world," and in an era of the highest retail gasoline prices on record. We have no excuse -- and history will offer us no hiding place.

TOM ELMORE

No, we can't move downtown South. You don't put a decrepit freeway like that in the middle of a downtown.
    What is your factoidal backing for this statement? I know plenty of downtowns that have old decrepit highways like ours that have expanded with no problem. Take a look at Tulsa, Memphis, Nashville, Greenville/Spartanburg, and lots of other eastern cities that were overbuilt too fast. Heck, even downtown Atlanta has parts of their highways downtown that aren't ideal like ours. The fact is we can expand south without a new highway. As a matter of fact, I would bet money that it will. You don't think our city will expand south now with the river project being completed? Last I checked it already has and will continue to as more and more projects continue to come that area. Especially when alot of the junk yards and vacant properties are cleaned up and/or raised. Bricktown already has expanded southbound past the "decrepit highway" with the Land Run Monument and OKC Rocks as well as soon to be riverboats similar to the canalboats. The opportunity is there already!

gtelmore Guest

Funny thing about Sooner and Rice Grad's photo of a motor trolley on Mickey Mantle Way -- that street was designed to incorporate a single track trolley rail line when it was recently rebuilt. I worked for the railway construction contractor involved in the project back about '98 -- and our outfit had the contract to lay the track. After several delays, we were called to bring the materials for the construction. The welded segments (comprised, each, of two 39' rails welded into 78' sticks) were loaded on a rented telescopic trailer and sat behind the idling tractor in our yard while we drove the route in one of the pickups to make certain the way was clear. Once in Bricktown, we checked in with the main contractor in his trailer. There, several ashen faced men turned to tell us, "sorry, guys, this project was just cancelled 15 minutes ago." "Who cancelled it?" my boss asked. No answer. "I'm betting Ernest Istook cancelled it," I said.

That was it. Job over. I heard later that it cost more to fill up the channel designed to receive the railroad track with whatever it was stuffed with before being paved and bricked over than laying the rails would have cost. Note the "alcove" or indention in the curb there in front of the Ballpark. That was supposed to be a REAL trolley stop.

Later, I heard on very good authority that a fomer COTPA director had publicly admitted it WAS, indeed, Istook who shot down the attempt to lay that short rail line -- apprarently threatening that if the city did that with local money, it would niver get a sniff of federal funding. Of course, that was a lot of baloney -- but, once again, Istook bluffed and blustered successfully and faint-hearted city leaders backed down.

One thing Istook has always understood: If Central Oklahomans ever get one opportunity to experience rail transit in their own city, it will go just as it has gone in every other Western city trying it over the last 15 years -- gangbusters. This he has consistently prevented -- making certain Oklahomans continue to contribute money to the Federal Transit Trust Fund that they don't get back and can't successfully compete for. This benefits his very good friends elsewhere, and that's apparently the congressman's primary job, as he sees it.

So, in the matter of an efficient, universally accessible and strategically redundant transportation system, Oklahomans are strung up among competing sets of self-interested power structures -- the anything-for-a-quick-buck developers, the better-to-rule-in-hell-than-serve-in-heaven highway lobby, and Utah Ernie Istook and his very good friends.

The latest Utah rail project links the Salt Lake metro workforce to Hill AFB, the "third Air Logistics Center" via commuter rail. As the world changes, an inevitable question at some point regarding "Military Base Closing and Realignment" will be, "how will you ensure workforce access to our base in the event of a worldwide curtailment of oil supply?"

Our Utah neighbors are building their answer right now -- even as their friend Istook strains every nerve to destroy ours. Check local rail maps. You'll see an exsiting line from OKC Union Station's yard through the old neighborhoods of Midwest City right into the north side of Tinker AFB, the state's largest single employer. If you know Tinker folks, ask them about their daily competitions with Hill AFB for contracts.

By the way, Altus AFB, Ft. Sill and Vance AFB are all linked to Tinker by existing rail lines -- via OKC Union Station.

As to the fate of Altus and Vance, it's getting very late; however, the Joint Chiefs and others have said that the smaller bases with more redundant missions which stay will be strongly influenced by "quality of life" for the families that live on those bases.

I asked an official of the Altus Chamber is they ever bother to talk to the rank and file at Altus AFB. She seemed to indicate that they don't. They talk to the commaders and other big shots. I noted to her what's been said about the value of quality of life boosts for the military families. I then said -- if you'd talked to them, you'd have found that many have lived in Europe, Japan and Britain. Generally, they miss one thing about living in those places -- and that's the rail services. They can't afford a half-dozen cars -- but fast, inexpensive rail access to metropolitan centers and other places would make a tremendous difference in their lives, as it would for all other residents of your area. The fate of OKC Union Station very definitely affects that prospect.

But, hey -- that's OK, isn't it? As the executive director of Oklahoma Good Roads and Transportation said at a recent meeting of the Oklahoma Economic Roundtable, "when you're a highway contractor, ANY highway project is a "GOOD" highway project..."

TOM ELMORE

5. Default Re: Urban Transportation OKC 2020

Gtelmore,

You should run for office! We need progressive, outspoken (in a good way), knowledgeable, visionary people like you to counter the conservative, good ole-boy system in place.

I hope your views about our airport are as passionate and visionary as they are about rapid transit. Please consider, it would be great to have you, Metro, and MrAnderson in some leadership office - Municipal, DowntownOKC Inc, OKC Chamber, OKC Airport. What would really be awesome would be to have you guys in all four!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I'd love to see OKC get some sort of light-rail system but I don't see anyone mentioning a possible link to Norman/OU.

I've long thought that the OKC/OU connection has been vastly underutilized from the perspective of both entities.

Having OU as part of OKC's MSA is one of it's greatest assets, especially since it's an up-and-coming university.

Ideally, I'd like to see a link from UCO down to the NCB&WHM, the zoo & Omniplex, state capitol, HSC, Triangle, downtown/bricktown, Capitol Hill and ultimately Norman/OU, South Campus/National Weather Center.

East/west should include the airport, Dell, fairgrounds, new developments on the Oklahoma River, Union Station, Native American Center, Tinker, etc.

7. Default Re: Urban Transportation OKC 2020

Definitely agree.

I think another route should be the old interurban line, which ran down Classen Blvd. That would be a great way to revitalize the inner city as a tourist attraction, with stops at Little Asia, Paseo, and the Plaza districts along with venerable OKC university, the NW Expressway Business District, Penn Square, Nichols Hills, and Midtown OKC to Downtown CBD and then on to Bricktown.

Maybe then extend it from Bricktown up to the Health Sciences Centre then to the Capital District.

In addition to the commuter lines Malibu listed, I would love to see the return of the interurban line, as a light rail or heritage trolley.

Yes, that area straddling either side of Classen is one of the best parts of OKC and has suffered the most from the ridiculous urban sprawl and rush to live in the middle of cow pastures.

Beautiful trees, historic homes, etc.

Also, a connection to the new and improved St. Anthonys would be awesome.

9. Default Re: Urban Transportation OKC 2020

Yes Malibu,

St Anthony is in midtown which is along or close (I forget how close) to Classen and the old interurban route.

Gtelmore, you may want to correct me.

gtelmore Guest

Thanks, for my part, for the good words. My aviation experience, other than 7 years traveling seven states for an east coast company back in the mid-80s to early 90s is limited to private pilot training in the 70s and a lifelong passion for the history of aviation development and especially military aircraft. My dad taught me to draw when I was a little boy drawing WWII-era naval aircraft. He'd been a WWII era NCO Helldiver crewman -- and went on to be the printing and graphics guy for the Noble Foundation in Ardmore for 40 years. At airshows or sometimes just watching some stray plane fly overhead I automatically start chattering "type, subtype and manufacturer" names, letters and numbers once my eyes lock onto the shapes imprinted on my brain both by dad and all those CB Colby books from the Ardmore Library 40 years ago

Anyway -- glad to listen to your views about the Airport. Always glad for new information. Air and access to air terminals both for people and freight are certainly a big part of any modern multimodal plan.

Are you familiar with the former Frisco rail line that parallels SH 152 west of I-240 / 44? For many years, a spur came off of that line directly into the Monroney FAA Center. I've heard lately that some of it's been taken out, but it could probably be replaced. Check any local map for a look at the main line. From the north portal to Will Rogers Airport at S. Meridian and Airport Freeway, it's literally a perfectly straight "rifle shot" along the line via a historic overpass north of SW 10th over May Avenue, across Agnew in the middle of the Stockyards area then roughly paralleling Exchange over the river, where it turns slightly to the West to meet Union Station. From there, the line extends back across the river, running along the north side after it passes under I-35 and then turning to the northeast -- via Jones, Chandler, Stroud, Bristow, Sapulpa and Tulsa (the northeasterly segment is owned by the State).

The "New Crosstown plan" would destroy the westerly river bridge, cutting the direct rail link from Union Station to the Stockyards and Airport. Of course, that line extends to the southwest to Wheatland, Mustang, Tuttle-Newcastle, Chickasha, Lawton-Ft. Sill and Altus, Altus AFB, linking to the old Ft. Worth and Denver BNSF line at Quanah, Texas.

Irreplaceable? Yep.

Back sometime last year, a documentary histortorian working for Parsons Brinkerhoff engineering was working on the required "preservation effort" in the "New Crosstown" corridor (photographing and writing detailed descriptions of assets like the Robinson and Walnut Street underpasses before they're destroyed). He was interviewed by the DAILY OKLAHOMAN's Ann DeFrange. Clearly appalled, he "slipped" and made a candid statement borne of years of experience working in such efforts -- something like, "well, highway builders don't CARE what they destroy."

Eyoww! Holy cow! The TRUTH!

Because that little bit of light was allowed to slip under the wall of carefully calculated nonsense and doubletalk that ODOT had erected during its "route study," the historian's pay was apparently threatened until he RE-interviewed with Ms. DeFrange and more or less apologized for his "terrible error." God forbid that a man being paid with the taxpayers' money to benefit the self-interested bigshots SLIP and tell the awful truth!

What was really hilarious was watching ODOT's "spokeslady" fall all over herself trying to plug the small hole that "light" was beaming through. Terrible thing trying to "serve the public" these days. "Protecting them" from the truth is sometimes an unexpectedly bumpy ride.

TOM ELMORE

gtelmore Guest

Re: Rail service to OU

I try very hard to persuade folks to discard the term "light rail" as a general description. "Rail transit" is a more accurate term. All new, electric "light rail" is very, very expensive and requires dedicated rail lines, ie, can't share tracks with freight or heavier passenger modes. For that reason, guys like Istook can talk about "how VERY expensive rail transit is..." while blurring the technological lines.

Look at Colorado Rail Car "DMUs" on the net. These are fabulous, new-tech self-propelled, Federal Railroad Administration mixed-traffic approved, diesel passenger cars that could be used right now on our existing standard rail lines (Union Station to WR Airport, Mustang, Lawton / Fairgrounds, OSU Tech, I-40 Meridian, Yukon, El Reno, Calumet, Weatherford w/ links to Enid / I-44 corridor to Tulsa, I-40 corridor to Shawnee, Seminole, Holdenville, McAlester -- AND, BNSF mainline to Moore, Norman, Purcell(and/or north on the same line to Edmond, Guthrie, Ponca)/ Midwest City, Tinker, and -- oh yeah, and the historic former KATY line through Bricktown, the neighborhoods of the near NE near the Health Sciences Center, the NE Museum district, Lincoln Park and the Zoo/Omniplex/Remington Park.

These might actually be seen initially more as hybrid local-regional commuter lines than as immediate candidates for all-new electric light rail.

The old electric Interurban lines to Norman, and Guthrie are now occupied by I-35 south and the Broadway extension to the north. Sharing the heavily-used BNSF freight main (the line to Norman) might be a real negotiating job, but it could probably be done. That line links to Union Station and its lines, and, of course, is used by the Heartland Flyer today.

As to the Classen trolley line -- yes, it ran up what is now Classen to Belle Isle. Some of that track is probably still under the pavement. Check McKinney Avenue Transit Authority on the net to see what can be done with old trolley track. It's nearly unbelievable what they've achieved. A fellow who has an antique car parts business on east Main is very knowledgeable about where the old trolley tracks still remain under the asphalt.

Old trolley lines could be revitalized with "new vintage trolleys" far more cheaply than all new "light rail."

Light rail is GREAT -- but the start up is expensive, and REALLY expensive when new rights of way have to be purchased. So -- to get there, I'd say it's important to start with what's available on the standard rail lines (which is why I talk so much about the east-west lines lying directly through the Union Station yard) to get the voting public on-board.

The first segment of DART Rail -- mostly comprised of REAL, very leading-edge light rail running on all-new tracks constructed on old freight rail rights of way and some downtown street running (West End, Pearl Street, etc) -- was built, NOT with federal funds (no wrangling with congressmen), but with a local penny sales tax. Suburbs that wanted in on it had to equal that. The suburbs that DIDN'T now wish they had!

So - my argument would be that we use the fabulous rail network we have as inexpensively as possible to get the central Oklahoma public committed to the idea -- and then THEY will demand that a true, multimodal transit network be fleshed out with a mix of light rail, vintage trolley and connecting bus services. Union Station is the key -- because it is simply the best potential hub in the West, and it's SITTING THERE, begging for intelligent reuse!

Until the middle class is committed, transit goes nowhere. The middle class won't ride buses. They LOVE trains. When the trains connect to buses in the outer reaches of the system, bus ridership rises. When the middle class experiences quality transit, it wants MORE -- and has the political clout to GET more. This pattern has played out over and over again in Dallas, Denver, Salt Lake, etc.

Union Station would be the marshalling point -- in exactly the right place -- for intericty passenger trains, diesel mainline regional commuter trains, local light rail, local transit bus and intercity bus services like Greyhound. It's indispensible.

Sorry to go on and on so -- but I hope this helps.

TOM ELMORE

xrayman Guest

I try very hard to persuade folks to discard the term "light rail" as a general description. "Rail transit" is a more accurate term. All new, electric "light rail" is very, very expensive and requires dedicated rail lines, ie, can't share tracks with freight or heavier passenger modes. For that reason, guys like Istook can talk about "how VERY expensive rail transit is..." while blurring the technological lines.

I agree, Tom. Good luck as you continue your fight. I only wish we could dump Istook in '06. A serious primary challenge is a real possibility. The man is arrogant, rude, and deserves to get the boot. It just amazes me what a jerk he is to constituents - in even public settings! He has no shame and forgets who pays his salary. Pompous little jerk may be packing his bags sooner rather than later.

Keep up the fight for rail!

bubfloyd Guest

Not totally on this thread's topic, but too many threads spoil the broth.

I attended the Heartland Flyer rally at the State Capitol this morning (about 150 in the crowd) and listened to several mayors and others speak to the need to fund Olahoma Amtrak into the future. There is a bill in the works that would go out 15 years. There is documented returns of over $29 Million to date on the OKC to Fort Worth line and ridership of over 300K. The Fed investment that got it up and running was a little over $23 Million. The annual cost to keep it on track is $3.9 Million. The same cost as constructing 1/4 mile of urban highway. Also, the big pitch is to extend the line through Gutherie and on to Kansas with it's nationwide connections. Mayor Cornett is really on board and working hard to keep this line running. If this seems as no-brainer to you as it does to me, write and/or call any frinds you have in the House and Senate to support this effort. And call or drop Mick a line to express your appreciation for his very up front leadership on this vital issue.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bubfloyd
    Not totally on this thread's topic, but too many threads spoil the broth.

I attended the Heartland Flyer rally at the State Capitol this morning (about 150 in the crowd) and listened to several mayors and others speak to the need to fund Olahoma Amtrak into the future. There is a bill in the works that would go out 15 years. There is documented returns of over $29 Million to date on the OKC to Fort Worth line and ridership of over 300K. The Fed investment that got it up and running was a little over $23 Million. The annual cost to keep it on track is $3.9 Million. The same cost as constructing 1/4 mile of urban highway. Also, the big pitch is to extend the line through Gutherie and on to Kansas with it's nationwide connections. Mayor Cornett is really on board and working hard to keep this line running. If this seems as no-brainer to you as it does to me, write and/or call any frinds you have in the House and Senate to support this effort. And call or drop Mick a line to express your appreciation for his very up front leadership on this vital issue.
    Hey bubfloyd, for once someone finally got the mayor's true feelings on this! Thanks! For sometime now a few members on this forum have been putting down our mayor for not doing more to fight to save Amtrak! The mayor has told me personally his opinon on the matter, but others have blown it off.

bubfloyd Guest

Patrick wrote: For sometime now a few members on this forum have been putting down our mayor for not doing more to fight to save Amtrak! The mayor has told me personally his opinon on the matter, but others have blown it off.
    My sense is that The Mayor has given this a lot of thought and has laid his groundwork before going public. He is a sharp guy with a good feel for the politics in an issue like this. He has now weiged in and I don't think that would be the case unless he saw a good chance to post it in the W column.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

OK, thank you Tom.

Well, it seems we have no choice. But, let's debate this: If we keep the freeway in place, will it hurt our vision for an upscale-urban riverside?

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bubfloyd
    My sense is that The Mayor has given this a lot of thought and has laid his groundwork before going public. He is a sharp guy with a good feel for the politics in an issue like this. He has now weiged in and I don't think that would be the case unless he saw a good chance to post it in the W column.
    For once someone finally got this right, BEFORE attacking the mayor. As I said before, we've had several people on this forum attack the mayor for not doing anything to further Amtrak or other rail options. I've tried to inform people that he works on a lot of the groundwork behind the scenes before revealing it to the media. For some reason, some people simply don't understand how local government works.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner&RiceGrad
    OK, thank you Tom.

Well, it seems we have no choice. But, let's debate this: If we keep the freeway in place, will it hurt our vision for an upscale-urban riverside?
    I'm not Tom, but you do have a good point. It is true that the new highway will probably actually help improve the Riverside neighborhood, by attracting new business to the area. But, at the same time, I'm afraid moving the highway might draw business away from downtown.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Well. I now see this as simillar to MAPS. We must continue to be progressive as we were then. Just b/c we have light rail, it does not mean gay marriage will be on it's way!

We have to preserve our urban districts, and vote for light rail when the issue comes up, and hopefully soon, b/c MAPS was just one part of the fight. We have to continue the spirit of urban renewal set by MAPS, and vote for ANOTHER tax to cover what will undoubtly be a large deficit, b/c we all know light rail/commuter does not come cheap.

gtelmore Guest

Great rally this morning. Evan Stair and his PRO (Passenger Rail Oklahoma) deserve much praise. Evan has worked tirelessly out of the spotlight for years talking to mayors up the line and working for expansion and improvement of FLYER service. He's a young family man who has spent a great deal of his own time and money to keep the Norman depot open on weekends -- providing refreshments and in and unobtrusive and friendly way urging passengers to make sure and write their elected officials. He then provides paper and pens, envelopes and even postage. He's encouraged thousands of letters on the subject. Super, super guy.

Then there's Mayor Cornett. Very refreshing to hear such a leader speaking out so clearly on the need for FLYER expansion and better transport.

Meanwhile, regarding Riverside -- I don't think we have to "destroy it to save it." The kind of transportation system we could build around Union Station moves PEOPLE safely, quickly and comfortably -- without having to accomodate more automobiles. The biggest thing to hit urban Dallas and Denver in the last 50 years is RAIL TRANSIT. That's the news in those cities. It compliments existing transport with tremendous new capacity that doesn't increase street congestion, doesn't require parking and serves EVERYBODY, not just auto operators.

Consider, also, that (f'rinstance...) DART Rail is built to a 100 year service life standard -- 5 complete Interstate-class highway pavement service lives. It will require no significant maintenance for 40 years. The rail cars themselves go for 50 years, get overhauled and go for another 50. No more expensive to build than highways, far cheaper to maintain, cleaner and more people friendly. Why wouldn't wise leaders WANT that kind of capability paralleling our streets and highways? Why wouldn't that add a dimension to Riverside and any redevelopment between downtown and the River projects superior to "new highways?"

TOM ELMORE

Patrick Guest

Tom, I don't think too many of us disagree with you here. You're words are music to our ears. I've personally agreed with your views for years now. Problem is, greed is involved, and regardless of how many facts you present, it's the greed in our state leaders that override the facts. A great first step would be to replace both Inhofe and Istook.

22. Default Re: Urban Transportation OKC 2020

Patrick:

I have to stand corrected about my comments regarding Mayor Cornett. I see that he does have a true passion for Oklahoma City and is willing to go to bat for our resources, transportation included.

Then again, I do stand by what I said, that OKC needs to have strong leadership that will be a positive voice for the city.

The fact that Cornett did this in a rather eloquent and professional manner not only shows he is a classy mayor that cares about our city but it also proves my point that large cities need outspoken powerful leaders in order to be progressive and successful!

It looks like the Amtrak service will be saved! Now, I want to hear what Cornett thinks about our airport and air service. One great move would be to call no confidence on the current board and nominate a new progressive Airport Trust, of which he would CHAIR!

Continue the Renaissance!

gtelmore Guest

Note to Christy Everest, Ed Kelley, OKLAHOMAN Editorial writers:

I'd be glad to lead the OKLAHOMAN editorial board on a tour of the "OKC UNION STATION they're not gonna destroy."

Is the job of the press to enlighten the public -- telling them the WHOLE truth -- or exploit their darkness? What IS the OKLAHOMAN's tie to the "New Crosstown" project? What are you "protecting?"

Shame on you.

TOM ELMORE
    Tel: 794-7163

Yiddish proverb: A half-truth is a whole lie.

Page 16A, DAILY OKLAHOMAN 4-13-05; Letters -
    "Save the station"

Everyone with an interest in history should insist that the planned Interstate 40 relocation be looked at with improvements in mind. Specifically, the Union Station and its rail yards should be spared, not bulldozed and paved over. In the 1960s and 70s, the magic of urban renewal swept the country, supported by federal funding, and wiped out much of downtown Oklahoma City. What short-sightedness! Now we get all worked up about Bricktown and the Skirvin but it's too late for the rest of downtown. Let's not let the old Union Station disappear. It is architecturally and historically a site that must be preserved, along with all that the nearby railways might offer.

Sam Williamson / Oklahoma City

OKLAHOMAN NOTE: There are no plans to demolish Union Station as part of the I-40 realignment project.

Patrick Guest

The Oklahoman is completely missing the point here......there aren't plans to destroy Union Station but there ARE plans to destroy the Union Station Rail Yard. The Oklahoman comment leaves you to believe that the comments from the writer are not true, when they are true, if you interpret them correctly.

Steve Lackmeyer, if you're reading, tell your bosses and the editor that wrote this that they're full of cr@p.

gtelmore Guest

In a recent response to a written query about both the accuracy and motivations of OKLAHOMAN editors in their "editorial note" below Sam Williamson's letter (4-13-05), the paper's chief editorial writer insisted that the note ("There are no plans to demolish Union Station as part of the I-40 realignment project...") was "exactly correct." "There are no plans to bulldoze Union Station. The station is the station, the railyard is the railyard," he said.

In fact, the historic record, no less than simple observation, will inescapably confirm the truth of the matter -- which is not subject to the arbitrary whims of newspaper people. As a grand station facility, Oklahoma City Union Station was an entirely new development in the late 1920s, carefully designed to remedy a very specific problem. That problem was NOT "lack of terminal building space," but that all east-west rail lines and multiple rail passenger yards lay at street level in the heart of downtown; conflicts between rail and street traffic had become overwhelming. The solution was the elegant, grade-separated Union Station rail yard and its arterial street underpasses at Robinson and Walker (which are no less architectural treasures than the spectacular terminal building).

The key, defining design element of Union Station is NOT its terminal building, but, rather, its street-level yet grade-separated yard. Every other element complements and serves that aspect. The entire development and all of its parts were designed and built together, all indispensable to the integrated complex, the value of which is plainly much higher than the sum of its elements. Without the yard, the passenger and freight tunnels and the Robinson and Walker underpasses, there would have been no reason to build the facility. Alone, the terminal building could not have answered the trouble; it would only have "moved the trouble," precisely as the notoriously shortsighted leadership at ODOT is seeking to do today with their "New Crosstown" plan.

The very WORD "Union" has a precise meaning. They called it "Union Station" because it brought together the trains of more than one rail company, just as it could bring together multiple modes today. The elegant 12-track, 6-block long yard is what allowed "Union Station" to "unite" not only multiple companies but multiple trains, multiple modes and multiple missions (passenger, mail and express) with the people and commerce of Oklahoma. None of this is possible with "one track in a ditch."

The painstaking creation of a grand urban rail terminal conveniently and safely accessible at street level both for passengers and specialized freight, but also allowing unimpeded flow of arterial street traffic was a great, great triumph. On the day the station opened, according to my late friend Wilburn E. "Steamboat" Deason (who was there), special locomotives of both the Rock Island and Frisco Railroads constantly steamed back and forth through the yard and over both of the underpasses all day with crowds of eager riders, whistles blowing, banners waving -- making the point to the public, both at the station and on the streets, that the dream that motivated Union Station's development had been achieved. The problem had been solved.

Some say we inherit the time in which we live from our forebears. Others say we borrow it from our children. The enormous travesty of ODOT's plan for the functional destruction of Union Station is this: It would blindly desecrate this elegant, irreplaceable and PAID FOR gift of our great grandparents' generation in order to keep our unborn offspring in massive unfunded highway maintenance debt for generations to come -- all to stuff the pockets of a few developers and highway builders for a very short time today. Meanwhile, the "New Crosstown" would actually recreate some of the problems Union Station solved, putting the Walker and Robinson rail crossings of the BNSF/ Watco line back on the ground south of the river.(!)

As I've said, the historic record and simple observation will confirm what I've reported in this message. The facts speak for themselves. Newspaper people don't get to define long-understood technical terms to suit their own purposes. However, their attempts to do so may well shed quite a bit of light on what those purposes are.

Tom Elmore
    794-7163
    __________________________________________________ __

Page 16A, DAILY OKLAHOMAN 4-13-05; Letters -
    "Save the station"

Everyone with an interest in history should insist that the planned Interstate 40 relocation be looked at with improvements in mind. Specifically, the Union Station and its rail yards should be spared, not bulldozed and paved over. In the 1960s and 70s, the magic of urban renewal swept the country, supported by federal funding, and wiped out much of downtown Oklahoma City. What short-sightedness! Now we get all worked up about Bricktown and the Skirvin but it's too late for the rest of downtown. Let's not let the old Union Station disappear. It is architecturally and historically a site that must be preserved, along with all that the nearby railways might offer.

Sam Williamson / Oklahoma City

OKLAHOMAN NOTE: There are no plans to demolish Union Station as part of the I-40 realignment project.

Thread Information