Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Development in front of new Crest?

Default Re: Development in front of new Crest?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    10609 S. MAY AVE -- MCDONALD'S

10615 S. MAY AVE -- BRIDGESTONE

So we have a McDonald's and a Bridgestone coming into the vacant pad lots in front of Crest.
    Thank you, Catch 22, for the information. Those urls were most helpful; didn't know that site was out there.

Am more than a little disappointed; was really hoping for a nice restaurant, but didn't happen.

That south driveway into Crest is going to be hard to navigate with a McDonald's right there; the traffic is difficult now. Wonder if they will put in a traffic light?

When r they starting construction?

No idea. Permits were issued months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    No idea. Permits were issued months ago.
    Probably getting plans approved and such from the city, all kinds of red tape. Just a guess.

They put up the plastic around the pad out front today. Looks like things are going forward.

this bridgestone/firestone shop isn't all that far away from the one between sw 104th & 119th on western... the rumor i heard was that big-o tire was interested in the location but when word got out, bridgestone made a higher bid in order to keep out big-o. -M

It maybe a Hibdon Tires Plus because Bridgestone owns TiresPlus. Bridgestone is likely expanding their presence to compete with Discount Tire.

I have to admit I like Discount Tire. All they sell is Tires and Wheels, No other services. Most of the tires stores you go into these days will try to sell you every service package under the sun when all you need is just tires.

one of the people working the counter at the bridgestone on western told me this, so i'm leaning towards that over a tires plus... but anything could happen. -M

They started moving dirt yesterday. Looks like it will be the McDonald's first.

Would be nice if it were a Tires Plus, but it will be what it will be.

As for a gas station, hope not. Lots of problems with drainage going into the lake in the adjoining neighborhood. Would be an EPA concern if they tried a gas station. But who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by old okie View Post
    As for a gas station, hope not. Lots of problems with drainage going into the lake in the adjoining neighborhood. Would be an EPA concern if they tried a gas station. But who knows?
    I'm not sure I understand this comment. Unless a gas station is leaking gas from a tank there should be no more concern than with any business that attracts automobile traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this comment. Unless a gas station is leaking gas from a tank there should be no more concern than with any business that attracts automobile traffic.
    According to what we were told several years ago by the state environmental folks, any gas station that has the potential [key word, "potential"] for having spills--like someone letting the gas overflow while filling--could be an environmental risk. Don't know if those rules are still in effect or not, so it might be a moot point.

We'll just hope there isn't a gas station there; it certainly would detract from the "up-scale" look that Crest claimed it was going for at that location........or maybe they were just blowing smoke about making that location their "number one up-scale" store!

Just when I thought I couldn't be depressed by the notion of a tire shop any more than a Firestone location.....a freaking Hibdons Tires Plus? Geez.

I'll 2nd Discount Tire over Hibdon's.

Any hope of anything more compelling going in directly on that corner? Please?

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    It maybe a Hibdon Tires Plus because Bridgestone owns TiresPlus. Bridgestone is likely expanding their presence to compete with Discount Tire.

I have to admit I like Discount Tire. All they sell is Tires and Wheels, No other services. Most of the tires stores you go into these days will try to sell you every service package under the sun when all you need is just tires.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post

But didn't Hibdon's buy the Tires Plus locations (ended up with 2 Hibdon's in close proximity on NW Expressway)

ON EDIT: a rather extensive list (50+) of Bridgestone companies doesn't reveal Hibdon and/or Tires Plus???

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/bridges...#ixzz1tvZqjRNz

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    But didn't Hibdon's buy the Tires Plus locations (ended up with 2 Hibdon's in close proximity on NW Expressway)

ON EDIT: a rather extensive list (50+) of Bridgestone companies doesn't reveal Hibdon and/or Tires Plus???

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/bridges...#ixzz1tvZqjRNz
    As I understand it, Tires Plus bought out the Hibdon's interest in the Hibdon family tire business, and then Bridgestone bought Tires Plus (although Bridgestone may have owned them outright to begin with, not sure).

In fact, here is the straight dirt from the Bridgestone website (emphasis mine):

Today, BSRO is headquartered in Bloomingdale, Ill., and operates the largest network of company-owned automotive service providers in the world — nearly 2,200 tire and vehicle service centers across the United States — including Firestone Complete Auto Care™, Tires Plus™, ExpertTire™ and Wheel Works™ store locations. Credit First National Association and Firestone Complete Fleet Care™ operations are also part of BSRO. BSRO is a member of the Bridgestone Americas family of companies.
    Also, I was talking to the manager of the Firestone at SW 117th and Western, and he told me that the new place going in on Western was, in fact, another Firestone, *not* a Tires Plus, and I asked him if that wasn't going to take away some of his business, and he said "oh, yeah, it will. They're building several new Firestone stores around OKC, and that's the next one." Said one of the others was either already or very close to opening - way on the northside, can't remember the address he cited.

SoonerDave: thanks, I couldn't find that on Bridgestones site. The Tires Plus/Hibdon thing seemed to be the other way around to me since the Hibdon Name was added to the Tires Plus locations. But maybe that perception was because Hibdon was here 1st. I did notice that the Hibdon Tires Plus name is only in Oklahoma so I was thinking maybe Hibdon was the franchiser or something for the state (there is different entity name attached to the Tires Plus in another state too).

You have to admit they could not pass up buying Hibdon's just simply because they used to be the place to go for tires in OKC. They were extremely customer friendly. They had a roadside service team, courtesy transportation long before the car dealerships started doing it. You could take any tire to them and they would patch it for free.

Back in high school my car desperately needed tires and money was in short supply. The guy running the place off 240 and Western took me back to their used section and helped me pick out 4 good used tires. I paid $50 for tires and install. It was great I spend the next few months saving money and I went back and bought brand new tires. They made every effort to be there for their customers. You don't see that kind of service anymore.

Am I reading something wrong? or what? If Bridgestone BRSO owns TiresPlus and Firestone, why are they setting up a self-competitor?

The way I am understanding it, is they bought the competition and rebranded the stores in Oklahoma?

They put up McDonald's Coming Soon signs in front of all the digging today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Am I reading something wrong? or what? If Bridgestone BRSO owns TiresPlus and Firestone, why are they setting up a self-competitor?
    Market saturation, covering lots of bases. In this case, I think its a real study in subtlety. Firestone "Total Care" is perceived as the general car service center that happens to sell tires, while Tires Plus is primarily a tire retailer that happens do some service work. If you looked at the way they handle their books, I suspect the relative success/failure of either is tied directly to revenues generated from their respective "core" business. In that way the two entities only compete in a slightly overlapping area. Now, having two Firestone's close together, or two Tires Plus locations in close proximity, might tend to make one's eyebrows rise....but I gotta be honest, the thought of an oil change place not 1/3 mile (literally, if that far) from my front door is annoyingly appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Market saturation, covering lots of bases. In this case, I think its a real study in subtlety. Firestone "Total Care" is perceived as the general car service center that happens to sell tires, while Tires Plus is primarily a tire retailer that happens do some service work. If you looked at the way they handle their books, I suspect the relative success/failure of either is tied directly to revenues generated from their respective "core" business. In that way the two entities only compete in a slightly overlapping area. Now, having two Firestone's close together, or two Tires Plus locations in close proximity, might tend to make one's eyebrows rise....but I gotta be honest, the thought of an oil change place not 1/3 mile (literally, if that far) from my front door is annoyingly appealing.
    After the acquisition, that is what happened to the locations on NW Expressway...as far as I know, both are still operating a couple of years after

There are two Hibdons TiresPlus almost right next to each other on I-35 in Norman just north of Main Street, too. Befuddling. I guess their product is that marketable.

One would think that after the acquisition that one of them would close to save all of that overhead but if both stay busy enough...

Thread Information