Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics 2024 - Oklahoma City

Patrick Guest

Default Re: Summer Olympics 2024 - Oklahoma City

Hmmmm. I bet if a mayor were to land the olympics here, no one would ever forget his or her name! LOL! Hint Hint! Could be the launch pad for someone like Mick Cornett to bigger and better offices. Maybe Mick should stay put and build a reputation as mayor first.

I know we're all kinda dreaming here...

But if we were to try to throw some lines out there, who would be some good people to talk to?

Perhaps the owners of the Redhawks? All Sports Association? Mayors of the the towns involved? Who else?

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    I know we're all kinda dreaming here...

But if we were to try to throw some lines out there, who would be some good people to talk to?

Perhaps the owners of the Redhawks? All Sports Association? Mayors of the the towns involved? Who else?
    Local corporations. The Pioneer Partners would surely have to be on board.

Dreaming leads to results. Just look at MAPS. People thought Norick's plan was a bit over the top when he pitched it back in 1992.

I want a monoril!

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ETL
    I want a monoril!
    I want cake and ice cream!

Me too! OMG!!!

7. Default Re: Summer Olympics 2024 - Oklahoma City

There's cake and ice cream? Where? I want I want...
    Still corrupting young minds

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bandnerd
    There's cake and ice cream? Where? I want I want...
    I was trying to use a Midtowner-esque remark!

Grandma's

10. Default Re: Summer Olympics 2024 - Oklahoma City

My grandma is dead.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. That would be Midtowner-esque, Patrick

Back to topic...sorry, I hijacked a little.
    Still corrupting young minds

What ever people - have your dreams but at least try to be realistic. I lived in Tampa when they tried to get the US bid for the 2012 Olympics. With a population of almost 3 million people they still had to turn to Orlando (70 miles away and another 2 million people) for help. Tampa was discarded during the first round because the area lacked hotels, money, and infrastrucutre. If Disney and Anhesier Busch (both 2012 sponsors) couldn't bring the Oympics to Tampa then Sonic is not going to be able bring them to OKC.

Where's the love for midtowner, jeez?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry
    What ever people - have your dreams but at least try to be realistic. I lived in Tampa when they tried to get the US bid for the 2012 Olympics. With a population of almost 3 million people they still had to turn to Orlando (70 miles away and another 2 million people) for help. Tampa was discarded during the first round because the area lacked hotels, money, and infrastrucutre. If Disney and Anhesier Busch (both 2012 sponsors) couldn't bring the Oympics to Tampa then Sonic is not going to be able bring them to OKC.
    Oh ye of little faith! Where's that Oklahoma Spirit?

You all get gold medals in the reality-challenged olympics

Cities that DID NOT get chosen in bids for the 2012 games:

Moscow
    Paris
    New York

Winner: London

Average metro population, 14,000,000, Oklahoma City's estimated metro population in 2025, 1.5 million.

IMO, a monorail downtown should be part of the next MAPS project.

This is how I would have the rout go.

Follow this link >>> http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=monorailou6.jpg

For info on what they cost, I went here >>> http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/HowMuch.html

Good Idea or BAD Idea? Let me know what you think?

Use this for the olympics?

16. Default Re: Summer Olympics 2024 - Oklahoma City

Kerry finally used a word that's been missing from this thread: INFRASTRUCTURE. Oklahoma City is hardly a world-class city (except in our eyes - which is great). Dreaming is one thing, but unrealistic pie-in-the-sky dreaming can be detrimental by diverting energy and resources. Oklahoma City doesn't any more have the infrastructure to host an Olympics than Guymon does to support an NFL team. Realism. Realism. Realism. Say it three times, take a deep breath, remember this is Oklahoma City, relax - and repeat.

-------------

Well, you are right we will NEVER get to the MOON!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by writerranger
    Kerry finally used a word that's been missing from this thread: INFRASTRUCTURE. Oklahoma City is hardly a world-class city (except in our eyes - which is great). Dreaming is one thing, but unrealistic pie-in-the-sky dreaming can be detrimental by diverting energy and resources. Oklahoma City doesn't any more have the infrastructure to host an Olympics than Guymon does to support an NFL team. Realism. Realism. Realism. Say it three times, take a deep breath, remember this is Oklahoma City, relax - and repeat.

-------------
    Tell me what type of "infrastructure" is needed to be a city capable of hosting the olypics.

Here is one - how about a pipeline large enough to get enough Jet A fuel to WRWA to fill enough international flights to get people in and out of OKC during a 15 day period.

Salt Lake City was already a Delta hub and they still had to expand to accommadate the Winter Olympics. When the Olympics were over Delta still used the airport for their hub. If OKC had to build an airport large enough for the summer games who would use it when they were over. Financing is spread out over 30 years or more. There is no way 15 days of use could generate enough money to offset the other 29.9 years payments.
    Last edited by Kerry; 07-30-2006 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Adding more

If it works then ok! No, I am not ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry
    Here is one - how about a pipeline large enough to get enough Jet A fuel to WRWA to fill enough international flights to get people in and out of OKC during a 15 day period.

Surely, within the next 18 years that issue will be addressed. Perhaps a pipeline is the best idea. But, maybe it's water towers full of it nearby. Maybe it's rented tanker trucks from Kansas loaded up with it. Perhaps jet fuel will be obsolete in 18 years!

My point: All the issues involved with putting on an olypics can be addressed, I believe, within the next 18 years.

How many people come to the olympics? Who is to say we will still have the plympics in 2024 (anywhere)?

Quote Originally Posted by ETL
    Well, you are right we will NEVER get to the MOON!!!!
    Now that "could" happen. After all, there is a space port coming to Western Oklahoma. This just proves my point - we are closer to going to the moon from Burns Flat then we are hosting the Summer Olympics in OKC. That should put things in perspective.

LOL!!! Good answer! What is this Burns Flat place? Oh, what about my question? Do you know? I don't.

Why do the flights even have to direct to OKC?

Thread Information