Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Concerts

1. Default Re: Concerts

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I find this to be untrue - quite a few people do notice and mind if there are sound problems and there are some that won't go back to a place with bad acoustics after having been there once. And bands certainly notice and mind if they sound bad while playing in one of those venues.

As far as comparing the Civic Center to Cain's - it's *very* similar to comparing the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago to Martyr's. One has seats and politely clapping patrons with a little bit of energy and the other has people standing (and some sitting at tables), clapping loudly with lots of energy. I've seen a guitarist play both places in Chicago and he really didn't like playing at Old Town - he said it was too stuffy, he feeds off the energy of the crowd, etc. Way back, I saw a few bands at the Civic Center, but it wasn't the ideal place to see a band.
    I wasn't talking about bands. Like you said, a few people may notice or care, but most don't. They're just there to rawk. Besides, acoustics at the events center aren't that bad, just not choice. I'm not impressed with Cain's acoustics at all, but bands continue to play there, because it's all about the history and they can't pull a bigger audience.

Since the Civic Center remodel the sound is high quality and the concerts I have gone to sounded great, which I think is most important in a live setting. As far as atmosphere and energy goes, that has alot to do with the unpredictable attitude of the crowd as much as venue. I was impressed with how enjoyable seeing a band at the Civic Center can be. I wasn't comparing it to Cain's specifically. I think it would be interesting to see some "Cain's bands" at the Civic Center, though. Such as Wilco, etc. Whatever "Cain's bands" means in 2011. Since Kesha was recently scheduled to play there. Now moved to the Brady due to high ticket sales. (In case you're into that kinda thing.)

2. Default Re: Concerts

The Wilco gig would be a no brainer for OKC. The show sold out in Tulsa in no time. I think the need is there
    for a good live music venue with good acoustics. I have not been to a gig at Rose State but looks like
    it could have some possibilities. Anyone have any feelings one way or the other? I think we could have had
    a better turn out for the English Beat if it had been in a venue like that. Sad thing was there were a lot of people
    stopping by the venue asking questions like "the english beat is playing here?!!" and then left and never
    came back. It was pretty sad.

Chris
    www.radiookc.com

Default Re: Concerts

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    that's not true. we've got a nice 2000-seat theater - steely dan would've been a perfect show for the civic center. i do think they're playing tulsa instead of okc because of the show at winstar in thackerville (too close to okc).

is the civic center leery of the crowds that would show up for a rock concert? i know they've had some since the remodel - coldplay, joe bonamassa, and some others i can't recall off the top of my head.
    The Civic Center has had several rock, and one-night engagements and would like more. There are two pretty big hurdles in play, however:

1. The resident performance companies take up more than 200 dates per year in the main hall for performance and rehearsal time. As such, trying to book main stage shows for a one-night gig is all but impossible. The stars have to align and we have to sprinkle on just the right amount of fairy dust to make it happen since the tour dates have to mesh with venue availability dates.

One nights are usually the most lucrative for the facility.

2. On the other side of the spectrum, promoters are pushing their artists to go to the bigger venues. Even artists such as Michael Buble or Norah Jones, who would be outstanding in a venue like the CCMH, are going to larger arenas because of the simple butts-in-seats:money ratio. Even with higher overhead, a promoter can make a heck of a lot more money selling 10,000 seats at an 18,000 seat house (even if it is a concrete box and the acoustics sound like someone's trying to phone in from the bathroom stall), than they can by selling 2,500 seats at a 2,500 seat house.

Money talks. Plain and simple.

I for one still do not understand why the LNC in Norman is not booked with concerts anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I for one still do not understand why the LNC in Norman is not booked with concerts anymore?
    miranda lambert is booked for next month.

I'm guessing the same reason no one's playing at the OKC Arena anymore, they're all playing at BOK.

I just hope after the shine wears off the BOK center in a few more years that the concerts will balance out and OKC Arena will get their fair share. There isn't one concert on the calendar at OKC Arena from now through the month of May. In the same time period BOK has Lady Gaga, Kings of Leon, Stone Sour/Theory of a Deadman, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, and the Foo Fighters. I know Lady Gaga and Kings of Leon have both played OKC recently, but I don't see any band that played Tulsa recently making stops in OKC. I used to go to a ton of concerts at the Ford Center, I really miss going.

I wasn't thinking of local acts.

So I guess you think if Garth Brooks, Reba McIntyre, or Carrie Underwood play here that would be discounted because they're local acts?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    So I guess you think if Garth Brooks, Reba McIntyre, or Carrie Underwood play here that would be discounted because they're local acts?
    The first two I would consider "past prime, nostalgia acts", the later a national act. I doubt Carrie is being booked at LNC. Hence my original question of why does the LNC not book the shows that were on the scale of the acts from the late 70's and 80's? Journey, Clapton, Springsteen, Pretenders, etc.

what do you consider "local"? you are aware she's from texas, right?

what do you consider "local"? you are aware she's from texas, right?
    I'm also aware that she now resides in Oklahoma. "Local" being present, not past tense.

Foo Fighters are kicking off their new US tour in May at the BOK.

No OKC date--hopefully the Arena will still be hosting Thunder games at that time, anyway. . .

The first two I would consider "past prime, nostalgia acts", the later a national act. I doubt Carrie is being booked at LNC. Hence my original question of why does the LNC not book the shows that were on the scale of the acts from the late 70's and 80's? Journey, Clapton, Springsteen, Pretenders, etc.
    Current management hasn't wanted an active concert calendar since the early 90's. I think they have probably only averaged a few a year since that time as opposed to the late 70's to late 80's when they had many a month.

I remember one weekend set of shows, Thursday January 19, 1984 was Genesis (Mama Tour) at the LNC, the next night was ZZ Top (Eliminator Tour) at the LNC and Lionel Richie played The Myriad on Saturday night. The ticket prices were Genesis-13.50, ZZ Top-Comp Ticket and I think Lionel Richie was about 15.00.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Current management hasn't wanted an active concert calendar since the early 90's. I think they have probably only averaged a few a year since that time as opposed to the late 70's to late 80's when they had many a month.

I remember one weekend set of shows, Thursday January 19, 1984 was Genesis (Mama Tour) at the LNC, the next night was ZZ Top (Eliminator Tour) at the LNC and Lionel Richie played The Myriad on Saturday night. The ticket prices were Genesis-13.50, ZZ Top-Comp Ticket and I think Lionel Richie was about 15.00.
    It's a shame as it is a taxpayer owned facility and should be used to benefit the community.

I'm also aware that she now resides in Oklahoma. "Local" being present, not past tense.
    That again raises the question of why you would discount any performer who either lives in Oklahoma or has Oklahoma ties. Miranda Lambert is currently a big name national draw. Do you think they just feel sorry for us poor people and perform here as a favor?

That again raises the question of why you would discount any performer who either lives in Oklahoma or has Oklahoma ties. Miranda Lambert is currently a big name national draw. Do you think they just feel sorry for us poor people and perform here as a favor?
    Looking at her tour dates for next month I see Dodge City, Lincoln, Ft. Myers, St. Augustine, Melbourne(FL), Abilene, Lubbock, and Tyler. Some big time venues there. Wonder if those stops will be on Underwood's next tour. Give me a physical break. She is a looker though.

Looking at her tour dates for next month I see Dodge City, Lincoln, Ft. Myers, St. Augustine, Melbourne(FL), Abilene, Lubbock, and Tyler. Some big time venues there. Wonder if those stops will be on Underwood's next tour. Give me a physical break. She is a looker though.
    I also happen to prefer Carrie Underwood but Miranda Lambert is the reigning queen of country music at all of the award shows. She is big time whether you believe that or not. You don't need a physical break you just need to be a little less judgemental. And you haven't answered why you think no Oklahoma entertainers count. I'm not defending the recent shows at the LNC just questioning your way of thinking.

I also happen to prefer Carrie Underwood but Miranda Lambert is the reigning queen of country music at all of the award shows. She is big time whether you believe that or not. You don't need a physical break you just need to be a little less judgemental. And you haven't answered why you think no Oklahoma entertainers count. I'm not defending the recent shows at the LNC just questioning your way of thinking.
    I said Carrie did count. Why is she not booked at the LNC? ML might be winning award shows, but she is not booking major cities or venues. She is not as big as you think. The Lips would also be an act that should be booked at the LNC, but current LNC management seems to be ineffectual.

I said Carrie did count. Why is she not booked at the LNC? ML might be winning award shows, but she is not booking major cities or venues. She is not as big as you think. The Lips would also be an act that should be booked at the LNC, but current LNC management seems to be ineffectual.
    I agree that Carrie is a bigger concert draw and thus stays with the larger arenas. You are confusing how many people a performer can draw to a concert with how "big" they are. The Rolling Stones could sell out any arena in the country but they would be classified the same way you classified Garth Brooks and Reba who you discounted. I promise you that Garth could easily sell out any venue where he chose to perform no matter how past his prime you think he is.

I agree that Carrie is a bigger concert draw and thus stays with the larger arenas. You are confusing how many people a performer can draw to a concert with how "big" they are. The Rolling Stones could sell out any arena in the country but they would be classified the same way you classified Garth Brooks and Reba who you discounted. I promise you that Garth could easily sell out any venue where he chose to perform no matter how past his prime you think he is.
    Substitute Styx or Twisted Sister for the Stones and I would agree with you. What do you use for measuring how big an act is? Downloads? CD sales? If it's not azzes in seats then what constitutes a big act?

Substitute Styx or Twisted Sister for the Stones and I would agree with you. What do you use for measuring how big an act is? Downloads? CD sales? If it's not azzes in seats then what constitutes a big act?
    I think critical or public acclaim certainly factors into that. I not sure I understand your reference to Styx or Twisted Sister. Are you saying they would draw a bigger audience than the Stones or are you saying they are past their prime and the Stone aren't? I would disagree with either argument. And just because someone chooses to perform at smaller venues does not mean they are small time. Some performers just prefer that and enjoy the closer feel of the audience. As an example, John Denver in his prime could sell out large venues but was much better in the smaller places and chose those most of the time.

It's a shame as it is a taxpayer owned facility and should be used to benefit the community.
    I think there are more athletic events going on in the LNC than there was back in the 70-80's. When I was in school in the early 80's I think basketball was the only thing going on, most other sports were at the old Fieldhouse. For some reason I think the women still played in the Fieldhouse at that time. I thin they are just focusing on school uses rather than outside uses.

Also, country acts tend to play many more markets and smaller markets than most rock/pop acts play.

Riverwind used to get some excellent shows but have been dry for the last year. I was told by someone who works there that the person who was in charge of bringing performers to Riverwind went to work in Thackerville and the person who is running it now has now has little interest in bringing in acts to the theater. It seats around 1500, a lot of times someone who was booked at Riverwind was also booked at Winstar around the same time and it wasn't a problem as far as ticket sales go.

that would make sense. winstar has a lot of shows in the next few months. the location just isn't as convenient as riverwind is.

25. Default Re: Concerts

Quote Originally Posted by micesu View Post
    Riverwind used to get some excellent shows but have been dry for the last year. I was told by someone who works there that the person who was in charge of bringing performers to Riverwind went to work in Thackerville and the person who is running it now has now has little interest in bringing in acts to the theater. It seats around 1500, a lot of times someone who was booked at Riverwind was also booked at Winstar around the same time and it wasn't a problem as far as ticket sales go.
    The booker can only go as far as management will let them. There is not really a special skill to that job but there are
    some tricks to reducing costs. Good people skills can work you thru alot of management issues that can pop up. My
    guess: the budget dried up for concerts.

Chris
    http://www.radiookc.com

Thread Information