Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NW 36th and I-44 - new motel?

xrayman Guest

Default Re: NW 36th and I-44 - new motel?

Just so everyone understands exactly what's happening on that corner.....

The new Lowes will be going in on the present site of David Stanley Ford. Stanley is building a brand new state-of-the-art dealership on the SE corner of 39th and May. As soon as Stanley makes the move - Lowes begins construction on the SW corner. Lowes and David Stanley reached that agreement to allow for a seamless transition for the dealership. The strip center on the NW corner of 36th and May is considering a razing that would include tearing down the old site of Builders Square and K-Mart. They could then build a new center facing North or East or even an L along the South and West that would face the new Lowes and David Stanley dealership. That would obviously be a boon to traffic for the center and attract higher quality tenants. The other option for the current center is to clear off the buildings and sell the land to interested big boxes (and from what I understand, there are several). The general retail area south of 39th down May has declined dramatically in the last few years. The new retail/service locales being a Family Dollar and two check cashing outlets. This has the potential to change all of that in a hurry.

bmrsnr Guest

Still somewhat on the topic of hotel building, does anyone know when construction is due to start on the new John Q. Hammons Embassy Suites downtown? I was reading an article that said construction was due to start in the summer of 2004 and that it was slated for a January 2006 opening. However, it's clear to all that nothing has been done yet. Just wondering if anyone had any idea if plans were still on for this site and if so, when the ball was gonna get rolling?

Jay Guest

I would think it will start at anytime. If I remember right the Courtyard next to the Ford Center started construction in spring of 03. Then they opened it in January of 04.

The weather needs to warm up a little before they can start setting the foundation. That would be my guess.

xrayman Guest

Is Hammons still building? The John Q. Hammons company is actively on the block and is soliciting offers for purchase. I thought all projects were on hold. Am I wrong?

To my recent recollection, I believe construction is going to start by June. If you go to Lowerbricktown.com it still has it on the drawing board.

Patrick Guest

Hey guys, any change in the John Q. Hammons company wouldn't affect this. Hammons hasn't even completely decided whether he's going to sell the company or not. He's already turned down a few offers.

Anyways, Hammons already has the deed to the property, and has delayed construction for development to mature along the canal, and for the parking issue with the Redhawks to clear up...he's wanting to build a parking garage on the Redhawks lot!

Anyways, his plans are now to start construction Summer 2005, and be completed early Spring 2006. That's the last I've heard!

I have heard from a Hammonds employee that the issue is a little more complicated than that.

Hammons has a publically held company and a privately held company. He wants to utilize the private company to build the Embassy.

The problem is he doesn't have enough liquid in the private company to build. That is why he is entertaining offers to sell off his holdings in the public company.

I'm guessing he'll be able to pull it off is he wants to, but the person I spoke to said the whole deal is 50/50 at this point.

I'm looking foreward to the Lowes and other improvements. It'll be nice to have something close for a change.

Patrick Guest

Thanks for the update soonerguru. If he doesn't sell the public portion he always has the option of using his public company to build the hotel, as he did with the Renaissance and Courtyard, right?

Regardless, I don't think we'll have a hard time finding a hotel developer for that site, even if Hammons pulls out and puts his land up for sale. Bass Pro is a drawing card and I'm sure Hammons has plenty of connections!

Thread Information