Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese--not buffet?

Default Re: Chinese--not buffet?

I think the best Chinese is at the Grand House on Classen and NW 27th St. in the Asian District. Great food, great service, lunch specials....it's my favorite.

nguy0231 Guest

DOT WO on southside near 104th & penn. try the ORANGE BEEF & SALT N PEPPER SQUID...ohh and the FISH MAU SOUP lol.

nguy0231 Guest

OHH and DOT WO near nw 36th?? and portland.....the family is related to the one on 104th & penn.

2nd for LIDO! near 27th & Classen, a block east - behind the milk bottle

I also like Mr. Pho - next door to Super Cao Nguyen, also near 27th & Classen, a block east - they have great vietnamese soup dishes and lots of chinese plates. Fresh, clean, and friendly service.

no buffet either place.

Thanks for the additional information. We are eager to try some new places.

I will whole heartedly endorse Golden Phoenix, Lido, Chows, and Grand House! All of them are SOOOOOOO good, and all for different reasons. But if you want to go out for a nice Chinese dinner Grand House is the king to me. It is a beautiful setting (excellent decore and layout), a very good bar, live jazz, fancy deserts, fresh fish (I mean live fish in tanks, if you want it), excellent chinese staple dishes, professional staff, and all of that for about the same price you would pay at nearly any other Chinese restaurant in the area.

Sampled LIDO down in the Asian District.. It was OK, not the BEST but FAR from the worst I've tried.

Went to Zen in Edmond, so far had the BEST I've tasted. Still needing to find the BEST in asian dining in the area.

Went to Grand House Chinese Bistro on Clausen Blvd. VERY VERY good. Great atmosphere, clean nicely decorated and good music as well. Service was Excellent, I would suggest you order from the Chinese Menu if you can has a GOOD selection for Vegetarians as well... MANY more choices..

The best Chinese I have ever had was at a restaurant that is no longer in business. I forget the name but it used to be where the pub is now on Memorial Rd. next to Olive Garden in the Quail Springs area. The had the best Mongolian beef and the most amazing Green Tea Ice Cream! I have dreams about that place... sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    The best Chinese I have ever had was at a restaurant that is no longer in business. I forget the name but it used to be where the pub is now on Memorial Rd. next to Olive Garden in the Quail Springs area. The had the best Mongolian beef and the most amazing Green Tea Ice Cream! I have dreams about that place... sigh.
    I believe you are talking about China Coast?

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    I believe you are talking about China Coast?
    Don't know... Whatever the name, they need to open back up somewhere.

China Court...yeah, that was a good place.

I loved China Court until I saw a mouse running through the dining area. We were in the middle of our meal & I saw movement out of the corner of my eye, realized it was a mouse. I didn't have to say anything, another diner saw it and screamed. A waiter came out with a broom & attempted shooing it out, it was running around like crazy with nowhere to hide. Suffice to say, they voluntarily comp'd all of our meals (lucky for them there were only 4 tables of diners at the time) and we hurried out & didn't go back. I know that mice are probably a much bigger issue than we know of, but at least I haven't seen one running around begging for scraps from the table anywhere else!

Sigh ... for want of a live cat, a nice evening vanished.

Thanks to previous comments on this blog, over the holidays we enjoyed Tai Pei at 48th and MacArthur and will definitely return. The food was very good, the prices were very reasonble, and the restaurant appeared quite clean. Wish that it had a more formal atmosphere though. I personally thought the food was better than Dot Wo, Lido, or Grand House.

I like buffets, but OMG try Dot Wo, i never had anything i did not like there.. my mouth is now watering, the orange chicken is so so good, the crispy duck is something to try mmmmm... i might get some dot wo to go for dinner..

The thing with any of the Chinese places in the Asian District is to stay away from the "White Folk" menu. Lido, Chow's, Grand House,Golden Phoenix, etc, all have really amazing food. But, I've found that almost all American Chinese dishes at these places ( for reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Chinese_cuisine ) are all rather marginal at all of those places. The General Tso's Chicken, Sesame Chicken, Chow Mein, etc seem to be made in HUGE bulk and are all kinda "meh". Each of these restaurants have their greatness, but it is deeper in the menu. At Lido, their Clay Pot dishes are really great, Grand House has crazy good seafood, wonderful fish soups, hoisin pancakes, Phoenix has the hot pot in all of it's majesty. Anyway yeah, they all have their upside.

Thread Information