Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TV Meteorologists Changing

Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

Quote Originally Posted by solitude View Post
    Where does THAT come from? Are you saying that KWTV and KOCO in Oklahoma City can hold a candle to the team at KABC in Los Angeles? Seriously? When I was there a couple of months back, I was blown away by the quality of the this newscast. Delivery, production values, etc. But, KWTV and KOCO are both better? Could you explain? These guys weren't too shabby either . They blow away our local news.
    Plus they are in HD!

They are scared to put the local talent in HD. Especially on KFOR.

Quote Originally Posted by PUGalicious View Post
    I was trying to be nice.
    I wasn't.

3. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

Quote Originally Posted by solitude View Post
    Where does THAT come from? Are you saying that KWTV and KOCO in Oklahoma City can hold a candle to the team at KABC in Los Angeles? Seriously? When I was there a couple of months back, I was blown away by the quality of the this newscast. Delivery, production values, etc. But, KWTV and KOCO are both better? Could you explain? These guys weren't too shabby either . They blow away our local news. What exactly does "top two news stations in the country mean?" If you reply with quality, than you must work for one of them? I know we've got great news for our market size (and even some bigger), but these claims test the old credibility meter.
    I don't work for anything related to local news. I need some of our members to step up here and explain it, probably JBrown I think it is, or SoonerBorn1973 come to mind without me looking up their ID's.

We really DO have the #1 ABC local news affiliate in the country here, and KWTV is the #1 Late News IN THE NATION. I don't make this stuff up guys, so contact the respective stations and let them explain it if you want. I bet Kelly Ogle would be more than proud to tell you about it, or maybe the KWTV News Director Blaise Labbe, which would be Blaise.Labbe@News9.net if I'm not mistaken.

In OKC, we've got some of the best meteorology equipment in the country (ask Gary), and KWTV has a completely state-of-the-art news set, custom designed by the FX Group. I've never seen a national newscast that could hold a candle to the aesthetic quality that I see on KOCO or KWTV, and our weekend talent, including the reporters, makes the primetime talent at most stations look like rank amateurs, so we have a lot to be proud of here.

I don't know why OKC evolved into such a high-quality, competitive market, but it has. In short, those claims about being #1 are not mine, they are advertised by the stations themselves.

This probably explains why all the talent in the "big" markets such as New York and Los Angeles have been falling all over themselves to get jobs here in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by drumsncode View Post
    In short, those claims about being #1 are not mine, they are advertised by the stations themselves.
    And there's been such a thing as misleading advertising...

Where are Zach and Aaron going? I actually liked these two.

7. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

Since we are talking about weathermen, I caught the new version of Gary England's promo today, the version that replaces "Watch Gary England or your children will die".

I don't know who the people are that make these promos, but it's the most syrupy thing you've EVER seen. I didn't know whether to laugh or puke, maybe I should have done both.

You've got to see it to believe it. They're trying to make Gary out to be some kind of deity, worshipped by all in the state. I'm serious, when you see it, make sure you have a trash bag handy; you might need it.

It scares the heck out of me, because I think KWTV is actually starting to believe that they are "all that" and then some. I'm surprised they don't put a halo over his head with special effects during the show.

8. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

I've seen it a couple times...its not terrible, but I agree with KWTV's attitude. Gary is definitely one of the more well respected meteorologists in the meterological community, but they go over the top a bit. They need to let Gary be the person he was a few years back before the station's new makeover.

9. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

KWTV's 10pm newscast IS the number one rated 10pm newscast in the country, and while we may not have people from larger markets scrambling for jobs here, we certainly have people making lateral moves or even a step down from equal and smaller markets. A friend of mine left a solo anchor position in Texas (where he had Kelly Ogle-level fame) to be a reporter at KWTV.

OKC is one of the most competitive markets in the nation largely because KWTV is one of the few locally owned stations left and the other stations have to really step it up to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    KWTV's 10pm newscast IS the number one rated 10pm newscast in the country....
    According to whom?

11. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

Neilsen.

ROFL

Care to provide a link?

ROFLMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The best lighting in all the world couldn't help Linda Cavanaugh at this point.
    Ironically enough but this is one reason KFOR hasn't switched to HD yet, they don't want to show her in HD clarity.

I heard that too... seems to be a major matter of discussion...

15. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

What? Is anyone really that vain? I have to say though, while watching my beloved Kirk on Gameday in HD at a friend's house I was SHOCKED. No one looks good in HD, I hate it and am glad my tvs are a million years old and can't get it. Even The Great Visored one didn't look good in HD!

I love my HD.

But certain people definitely should not be seen in HD...

17. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    What? Is anyone really that vain? I have to say though, while watching my beloved Kirk on Gameday in HD at a friend's house I was SHOCKED. No one looks good in HD, I hate it and am glad my tvs are a million years old and can't get it. Even The Great Visored one didn't look good in HD!
    After flipping channels the other day and seeing one Molly Sims on my TV in all her HD glory, I'm going to have to disagree with that one.

18. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

I understand the people doubt the "#1 Late News in the Nation" claim by KWTV, but it's true. It's based on the Nielsen Rating, just like JBrown said (thanks man, for stepping up).

The best place to read about it is at:
    Nielsen Ratings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    and also at:
    KWTV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The way I currently understand it, is that KWTV at 10pm has the highest percentage of viewers in its market, higher than the percentage of viewers in other markets across the nation. That's a percentage, not an absolute number of viewers, so I think that helps clear up the differing views on it.

It basically goes to show that we are all News Junkies here in Oklahoma, probably because there's nothing else to do in this "Barren Wasteland of a State" as Charles Barkley might say it.

No... it shows that it's easier to be a big fish in a small pond.

The way I currently understand it, is that KWTV at 10pm has the highest percentage of viewers in its market, higher than the percentage of viewers in other markets across the nation. That's a percentage, not an absolute number of viewers, so I think that helps clear up the differing views on it.

It basically goes to show that we are all News Junkies here in Oklahoma, probably because there's nothing else to do in this "Barren Wasteland of a State" as Charles Barkley might say it.
    Now that makes more sense. It's much easier for smaller markets to get a larger percentage of viewers to one station. Do you realize we have only 3 stations with 10 pm newscasts? Do you know how many network affiliated and independent stations have 11 pm newscasts in Los Angeles? A percentage of viewers means nothing at all as far as quality of our talent or how 'good' the newscast is. Columbus, Ohio's NBC affiliate could have 90% of the 10 pm viewers and then they would have the "#1 rated newscast in the country." It means nothing. Everyone was trying to use that phrase in this thread and connect it to the QUALITY of the newscasts we have here. Trying to compare OKC TV news, in terms of quality, with top markets is hilarious. It may be great for our market size, but big market TV news? It doesn't even come close.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PUGalicious View Post
    I was trying to be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I wasn't.
    Well, you should be nice. Just because she's showing her experience instead of hitting the Botox... I applaud KFOR for not getting rid of her just for having a few wrinkles.

But that background they use really is awful.

Quote: ...It infuriated me when I first saw it done, and then of course KOCO copied it and still uses it. ...All this presentation variety/garbage started when the FX Group put in that new set at KWTV, and the viewers have suffered for it. We used to get these really warm, friendly shows, now we get what looks like a guided tour of the architectural splendor of their sets every night.
    The KOCO set was built by FX Group 3 Years before KWTV's set, so who's copying who?

23. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

Quote Originally Posted by okctvnewsguy View Post
    The KOCO set was built by FX Group 3 Years before KWTV's set, so who's copying who?
    Hey man, don't try and confuse me with the facts! ;-)

I was referring to the choreography of running the anchors all over the set; that's the infuriating part. That's what emerged in all the stations right after NEWS 9 put in their new fang-dangled two-story behemoth.

Since that set went in at NEWS 9, we've had some of the coldest shows in the history of the world. I used to watch NEWS 9 at 5, 6, and 10pm. After that set went in, it wasn't long before I switched to KOCO and the much warmer, more intimate camera-work.

The first few months KWTV had that set, I actually saw shows that never gave their female anchors a single close-up, instead, they opted to give us every distant shot from every ridiculous position on the set. The first night of their 10pm weekday show was so ridiculous that Mark Shannon even blogged about it and drew a hiliarious diagram of the anchor's movements across the set.

You know as well as I do that stations hire beautiful anchors to put them on camera. A beautiful anchor shot from 25 feet away is just a waste of her salary.

The look and feel of a broadcast is just as important as the journalism, otherwise stations wouldn't spend millions on new sets, graphics packages, and supermodel anchors, they'd just get people off the street that were good at reading a prompter.

I used to watch NEWS 9 at 5, 6, and 10pm. After that set went in, it wasn't long before I switched to KOCO and the much warmer, more intimate camera-work.
    This statement blew me away. Why? Because I used to be a loyal KWTV viewer who went as far a describing KOCO as the "as boring as plain toast" newscast.
    I changed a few months ago. Now I know why. My subconscious must agree with drumsncode!

Quote Originally Posted by jsibelius View Post
    Well, you should be nice.
    Nah.

Just because she's showing her experience instead of hitting the Botox... I applaud KFOR for not getting rid of her just for having a few wrinkles.
    I don't know, I'd rather watch an anchor who doesn't make my stomach turn, experience be damned. But that's just me.

All I know is, I can hardly tell the difference between Linda and Senior at this point.

Thread Information