Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Oklahoma City offer the Sonics a free lease while Key Arena deal exists?

Default Re: Will Oklahoma City offer the Sonics a free lease while Key Arena deal exists?

Just a thought but would the Sonics ownership move into the Ford Center before the improvements are done? I don't know how this tax is going to work out but I didn't think they would actually start improving the Ford Center until after they got their money from the taxes. I figured that the improvements wouldn't be completed until probably 2010. Which is the same time the Key Arena lease expires.

Default Re: Will Oklahoma City offer the Sonics a free lease while Key Arena deal exists?

Quote Originally Posted by andy157 View Post
    Has not the Mayor said over and over, without a yes vote to upgrade the F.C. and build the P.F. that we WILL NOT get the NBA? And weren't those statements made after he had met with Stern and based on the information he was given at that meeting? Check the video.
    I agree. I think it could easily be Stern. He might not be demanding, but he could easily be strongly suggesting.

Aside from the fact that it seems quite clear that the NBA wouldn't give us an team without an arena improvement, considering the fact that Seattle may be losing their team because they won't build an arena, I think there's one other factor suggesting someone besides the mayor is behind this.

Think about how risky this tax proposal is. It could lose. If Cornett had waited until MAPS 3, and bundled the arena upgrades with some other items people who don't like basketball might want, he'd get their vote too. It would have been a lot smarter to say to David Stern: "Give us the Sonics and I promise we'll put the Ford Center upgrades and practice facility in the MAPS 3 proposal." We'd get the Sonics, and there'd be a lot more wiggle room in terms of how funding could be arranged. If I have thought of this, I can promise you the mayor has too. He's a smart guy. That's what makes me think his hands were tied on this. I think that Stern either told him this needed to be done before the April 19th meeting, or strongly implied as much. This is just speculation on my part, but I think it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustbowl View Post
    Well, I guess you answered the question. The free market will not bring an NBA team here. Let's stop and think about what you just said. If the free market will not support a team in OKC, why would anyone subsidize out of their own pockets a loser deal? The goodness of their hearts? Maybe they are that generous, I don't know. I seriously doubt it though. Why does Wal-Mart lose money on toothpaste? It's called a loss leader to get you into the store to hopefully buy higher margined products. Nothing wrong with that at all. So our NBA deal could be a loss leader for the generous millionaires? If so, what is the real prize? What is the real purpose for the generosity? As "Deep Throat" told Woodward and Bernstein: FOLLOW THE MONEY!!!!!! Why the media blitz and passing out flyers to churches? Why the brow beating by Mayor Mick? Why don't they just tell the people, I love OKC and I'm willing to lose millions of dollars so you can watch basketball? I would really respect them if that's the truth and would sing their praises forever. Remember, I don't get it and I don't have vision.
    Well at least we can agree on something.....

I hate to break it to you but there would be a lot of local business that woul dnot be here of there was "truely" a free market. Not just the NBA.

Thread Information