Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

1. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

Just out of curiousity..
    lets name off some of the smaller markets than OKC that have currently experienced highrise construction in their downtowns. (even if they are suburbs)

I can start it off with Boise, Albuquerque, Wichita, bellevue, Tacoma, Mobile, Tulsa has a new Westin coming doesn't it???

2. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

No Tulsa does not have a new downtown Westin coming.

Not anymore lol.

3. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

Even if they did, a new Westin would not be any more significant than our Renaissance Hotel built recently.

And Wichita has had nothing. They have a condo tower going up on the edge of downtown I believe that's also no more significant than the Renaissance.

And I'm not aware of Albuquerque having built anything recently. Even if they have, they have really boring, short skyline for their size.

4. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

I dont think Tacoma has anything highrise either, just a bunch of midrise infill.

Hey all, for those of you who have not yet voted - please go to the poll that we have to vote for what you think OKC's next "first step" should be.

And yes, we do need to support Oklahoma City Development News at Skyscraper City as well as Oklahoma City Update AND Oklahoma City Projects & Construction at Skyscraper Page.

We need OKC people to defend, inform, and back up our city to the nation (and world). Please bookmark and support these OKC threads if you can. And we can get a level set from the rest of the world on the progress OKC has.

Speaking of which, you guys gotta check out this Jon Stewart takes on weather scare tactics in OKC - SkyscraperCity .
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

I'd love to see a new skyscraper in OKC but I'm not holdiing my breath.

OKC still has lots of land -- even close in -- and it's cheap. With the extremely high cost of steel and concrete, any tall tower would have to compete with other developments that would cost much less.

This is a direct function of things like the Kilpatrick Turnpike, which has fostered tons of growth in areas where land is very inexpensive -- and there is still plenty of it out there. As long as our city is developed in this manner, you're not going to see much density and tall buildings.

There are some that will choose to live closer in because they like the lifestyle, but it will always be cheaper to build -- and thus live -- further out until something changes.

Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

Having said all that, I think the one hope is a large hotel because there actually is a scarcity of development sites near the Ford & Cox Centers.

In fact, I think the city should stop allowing these mid- and low-rise hotels as they are taking valuable real estate and the time is coming where we're going to need more rooms in the city center.

A large, tall convention hotel would be perfect on the southern half of the galleria parking garage.

7. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

Hi guys, I found this old SSP thread and decided to post this link to a wonderful parody that is a thread at SSP.

It has an OKC twist to it - I hope you all enjoy the laugh. We made another list, twice!! lol.

Also note that no one poked anything negative toward OKC - we're movin' up. but the point of the thread itself is very hilarious. You'll see.

Top Cities For People 2007 - SkyscraperPage Forum

PPppplease, please continue to support Oklahoma City in these national/world forums like SSP and SSC. We need to make sure we get the word out about OKC being a progressive, urban city. That is the ONLY way we will continue to make a difference to people who otherwise have a distorted (or no) view on OKC or its viability. (Yes, the NBA will help but we need to have regular numbers on the national/world threads - especially with development).

If you all could bookmark the OKC section/thread on both SSP and SSC and take a look every week or so (and post whenever you post something you think is worthwile to the national/world audience), it will really REALLY help get our name out there. Do your city a bit of service and help bump up OKC on these national/world forums, in addition to supporting OKCTalk, OK Met and others. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

8. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

" You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Thread Information