Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Rooster

Default Re: Red Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm very excited about this because I've always loved the look and vibe of that little neighborhood place, but wouldn't even walk in due to the smoke.

Now, it will be yet another local place in the Paseo, which is starting to become my district of choice.
    I've always been drawn to little neighborhood bars too but have avoided this one for the exact same reason. Glad to see change coming.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I've always been drawn to little neighborhood bars too but have avoided this one for the exact same reason. Glad to see change coming.
    It really does have a unique ambiance about it relative to most of the other bars in OKC, so I'm happy to hear that one of the new owners has a good reputation for renovating old houses. I'm just about a two-minute walk from this bar, and the smoke was the only thing I didn't like about it, so if they can pull off this remodel successfully, it'll instantly become my "go-to" bar.

The Rooster has been closed for approximately six months now, has anyone heard of an estimated timeframe for them to reopen?

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    The Rooster has been closed for approximately six months now, has anyone heard of an estimated timeframe for them to reopen?
    My understanding is they just received their financing.

Build permits should be filed soon. But even after that, it takes a couple of months for approval... So you won't see any real movement here for a while longer.

But, this is still going forward, just at a slow pace.

They have started work:

6. Default Re: Red Rooster

They are aiming for a March 2019 opening. I have seen the approved architectural renderings and they look fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
    They are aiming for a March 2019 opening. I have seen the approved architectural renderings and they look fantastic.
    Awesome to hear this!

Quote Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
    Any chance of them being posted on OKCTalk?

9. Default Re: Red Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Any chance of them being posted on OKCTalk?
    I cannot post them as they were not given to me. I am sure Pete will post once he has them. I can say the awnings are going away.

10. Default Re: Red Rooster

I was just sent this. It can also be found on their Instagram - @theredroosterokc. More info to come hopefully.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4536.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	15083

Making good progress.

Dive bar to hipster paradise?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Dive bar to hipster paradise?
    How about dirty, smoke-filled, smoke-stained place long overdue for a thorough cleaning now to get a completely new interior and all disguisting, smoky furniture and old kitchen equipment replaced?

I simply can't believe in this day and age that people order food in these places that still allow smoking.

I really look forward to the new Red Rooster, a spot that has always been full of character but one that I will now be able to go in without getting sick to my stomach.

They've installed windows all around that really open up the place, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Per their Instagram today, they are now hiring, so the (re)opening can't be too far out at this point.

16. Default Re: Red Rooster

Going to the soft opening tonight and I cannot wait! Red Rooster is officially opening to the public on Monday.

As of yesterday, they are officially open for business.

Absolutely nothing like the previous Red Rooster. Much more of a restaurant than a bar.

Beautiful space.

Anyone know if it's 21+ only? Wanting to go with a buddy on Thursday but he's going to have to bring his twins.

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    Anyone know if it's 21+ only? Wanting to go with a buddy on Thursday but he's going to have to bring his twins.
    I'm sure it's open to all ages.

As I mentioned, it's really more of a restaurant now.

I am going to have to try this out! It looks great. And all of those veggie options too. Thanks for posting.

Went to the soft opening last weekend and got to try the pork tacos, trout dip, lamb, asparagus and the banana split. All were good, as were the cocktails. They did a great job with everything.

Swung by with a group last night and echo all the other positive comments. It's amazing what they've done with the place - it looks (and smells) great. We ordered a bunch of the shareable plates. Nothing was bad, most everything was very good. The frito misto and charred asparagus were both great - the frito misto had very thinly sliced tempura lemon slices included which was something I had never had before but found very tasty, especially with all of the other included vegetables. The hatch chile wings were very good though we were all expecting a bit more spice. Also, the wings were pretty small - not a knock though as they had very good flavor and we had more than enough food. The grit cakes and corn dog were both fantastic. I'm not a big trout fan (though I do like catching and releasing them) but those that had the trout dip said it was good and the pasta was also good. The fried potatoes may have been everyone's favorite though - smashed fingerling potatoes fried until crispy. Hard to go wrong.

The service was very good, especially for a new restaurant, and the cocktails we tried were very tasty. They were out of a few things, including those scallion pancakes which look awesome, but I look forward to going back soon and don't mind a restaurant running out of dishes as long as its a result of a commitment to freshness and quality. It was busy the entire time we were there but never awful - we had about a 10 minute wait. It was fun to see so many cars and people at that corner though! We were talking about how we wish they would have a dish of "pizza rolls" as an homage to the old bar - but probably best that they don't!

The Mayan continued to look ominously empty, hopefully the resurgence of the RR will spur someone to make a real investment across the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    Swung by with a group last night and echo all the other positive comments. It's amazing what they've done with the place - it looks (and smells) great. We ordered a bunch of the shareable plates. Nothing was bad, most everything was very good. The frito misto and charred asparagus were both great - the frito misto had very thinly sliced tempura lemon slices included which was something I had never had before but found very tasty, especially with all of the other included vegetables. The hatch chile wings were very good though we were all expecting a bit more spice. Also, the wings were pretty small - not a knock though as they had very good flavor and we had more than enough food. The grit cakes and corn dog were both fantastic. I'm not a big trout fan (though I do like catching and releasing them) but those that had the trout dip said it was good and the pasta was also good. The fried potatoes may have been everyone's favorite though - smashed fingerling potatoes fried until crispy. Hard to go wrong.

The service was very good, especially for a new restaurant, and the cocktails we tried were very tasty. They were out of a few things, including those scallion pancakes which look awesome, but I look forward to going back soon and don't mind a restaurant running out of dishes as long as its a result of a commitment to freshness and quality. It was busy the entire time we were there but never awful - we had about a 10 minute wait. It was fun to see so many cars and people at that corner though! We were talking about how we wish they would have a dish of "pizza rolls" as an homage to the old bar - but probably best that they don't!

The Mayan continued to look ominously empty, hopefully the resurgence of the RR will spur someone to make a real investment across the street.
    I've been twice and I echo your positive comments. The space is amazing -- and quite a departure from the Paseo norm. I would characterize it as a classy urban neighborhood pub, or, egads, gastropub. I didn't eat either time but the wings looked amazing and the choices on the menu looked interesting and reasonable.

Notably, the crowd was definitely more on the upscale yuppie side of the equation, and very, very white. Not criticizing, just an observation. It seemed like a "shiny happy people" reunion. Again, not a critique, just an observation.

I had very good service both times and this looks like a very competent operator. I would expect this place to do very well.

But it's not a pub -- it's a restaurant.

All the tables and booths apart from the bar itself are set with a cloth napkin, flatware and menus.

Wow! Gonna have to check this out. Sounds like we'll be the only non-white people in the place but what's new, LOL.

Thread Information