Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rose Creek....Should we pick the Edmond or Deer Creek side?

Default Re: Rose Creek....Should we pick the Edmond or Deer Creek side?

PUGalicious, you're right about this. However, some parents do not have the money, time, and energy to devote to home schooling their kids, and so they desire to find a school that shares their cherished faith and value. You won't find that in a public school because of the separation of church and state. So, that's why I shared the alternative here of the private, Christian school with Kellie, so she could consider that option, since schooling is important to her and her family.

Blessings,
    Jonathan

My children have attended public school from the beginning. Some friends of ours home school their children and other friends put their children in a couple of the local private Christian schools. And I would be fascinated to see how many people could tell how any of our children (ours and those of our friends) were schooled and what difference there was in their faith and values.

I've also wondered how children are to be the "salt of the earth" to their peers if they are constantly surrounded by areas already saturated with salt or a "light unto our world" if they are always in areas already full of light.

My wife and I made a conscious decision very early on that the best way to train our children to be salt and light to the world and how to deal with all the issues and pressures that the world presents us is to allow our children to attend public schools and make friends outside of church relationships. We are able to "inculcate faith and values" into their lives and allow them to live out that faith and those values in the world for others to see as living examples of Christ's message.

PUGalicious,

You raise some good points. But some parents, as you are aware, are more comfortable sending their kids to private Christian schools where their (the parents) values are reinforced on a daily basis.

And you're right --- you probably made the best decision for your own kids. However, some parents might not be that comfortable making the same decision, and other parents might believe their kids need more reinforcement at school than other parents do. There is no "cookie-cutter" approach to raising kids, because as you are aware, different kids have different needs.

Blessings,
    Jonathan

Hi,

I'm in the Deer Creek district now. Definitely choose carefully between Rose Creek and Deer Creek. There is a massive difference in the philosophy between the schools that will make a huge difference. We started at Deer Creek elementary. It has a back to basics, more traditional feel. If nothing has changed, they used a phonics program, the AR reading program and Scott Foresman math (S.F.). Some parents didn't like the more reform aspects of S.F. math, but S.F. math does teach traditional math algorithms also. Deer Creek also has the Great Expectations program which is a good positive behavioral program with high expectations for the kids. At Deer Creek the kids learned most of what they needed to learn in school and state test prep was kept to a minimum. Some parents feel that this school is too stressful and puts too much pressure on the children. But, if you feel public schools in general are dumbed down, you have high expectations for your children and you want them to get an education as good as you had, this is probably the school for you. This school has a strong principal who will not back down which sometimes causes complaints but overall produces a strong education.

Rose Union is completely different. It has the more popular philosophy of a public school. It is very "child centered". It uses guided reading which is pretty close to a whole language philosophy. It also uses Everyday Math which was developed by the University of Chicago. This program does not teach the standard algorithms for addition, subtraction, multiplication or division that many of us expect our children to learn in school. To follow the current math controversy, google "Everyday Math" and "Mathematically Correct". They have plenty of information. So this school would be the one to pick if you feel that your main goal in education is for your child to have fun and not be stressed. Also, I think the teachers are getting worried about the state tests so all curriculum seems to have been thrown out the window back in December and replaced with test prep work sheets. I think the kids should learn in school and test prep should be limited to a couple of practice run-throughs. This principle is very nice but seems to not want to be confrontational with people or problems. Without the great expectations program and strong leadership we seem to be having way more trouble with bullying and bad behavior. Some parents are happier at Rose Union because they thought their children were under too much stress at Deer Creek and now everything is so "fun". My kids are bored and going crazy!

This may have been rambling and at times misspelled, but I hope it helps. At least it should give you more information to ask better questions about curriculum and philosophy. Most people assume both schools will at least have the same curriculum since they are in the same district!

Can't go wrong with either choice!

Thread Information