Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bricktown Village

1. Default Re: Bricktown Village

I would assume the batting cages could go--in favor of something much bigger...

Default Re: Bricktown Village

Yeah, but why build them to tear them down so soon? My guess is that the condo's probably won't go here then or they are a long ways off.

I saw the plan again today, they were working out site issues with various planners and landscape architects. They are still in the beginning stages of the overall project but lots of elements from the original, like the condo tower overlooking the ballpark, are still there. My guess is that those batting cages could easily be moved in the future as this would still be at least 1-2 years before they start construction. Expect an official announcement of the project within the next 6 months as design work continues.

I can't say too much but I can say I am very impressed and I know you all will be as well. The site is definitely much larger and now encompasses the entire area east of the ballpark from Main to Reno all the way to Lincoln/I-235. I don't know the number of residential units but it will be a lot. Also caught a glimpse of some of their target goals during the design phase and saw 7 story boutique hotel, mixed-use retail, residential, commercial, and light industrial (?) space, midrise condo tower overlooking the ballpark with a plaza in between it and the proposed Hampton Inn at Sheridan and Stiles, a mix of underground and garage parking, and a GROCERY STORE. I'll scan some images when I get a chance (and they say it's okay) but I'll be in Chicago all this week so it will have to be in a couple weeks.

4. Default Re: Bricktown Village

BG, who can I talk to about this if I'm interested in doing some coverage on this for Okc Talk and my directory while you're out of town? Thanks.

we want to see the images.

scan, scan, scan don't make us wait.

Does anyone have more info on this?

Yeah BG, it's been awhile, post the pics please

Since this isn't official yet, and is still in the design phase, I won't post pics unless I have the consent of the company, and currently I do not. You can choose to believe me or not at this point, but I think all of you will be absolutely amazed when the project is announced as official. They were working on the site design again today and I saw some of the prelim. designs for the lofts, very cool and very urban. Looks like something you would see in Denver or Portland, and of course since this is in Bricktown lots of brick! I will post more as find out more, and maybe if I have permission I will post some pics. Until then, be patient.

Condos at ballpark still in lineup
    5-star hotel, more parking also studied, RedHawks owners say
    By Bob Hersom
    Staff Writer
    Condominiums and more still are a possibility at AT&T Bricktown Ballpark.

RedHawks and Blazers owner Bob Funk told The Oklahoman two summers ago he might have condos built above the right field fence at The Brick.

Those plans remain possibilities today, even though several more housing units have been put on the Bricktown map since the summer of 2005.

"We think that we can offer, hopefully in the near future, some good retail, lifestyle type of development that will benefit all of Bricktown,” Scott Pruitt, the RedHawks' minority owner and managing general partner said Tuesday.

There might be condos and a parking garage and the fanciest hotel in Oklahoma in the ballpark's future.

"There's a lot of (housing) units that are coming online (in Bricktown),” Pruitt said, "but there's always a place for a different type of unit.

"If you've got a residential offering that allows you to overlook a ballpark, maybe to be a part of a 5-star hotel concept — a Ritz-Carlton, hypothetically — they could build a hotel there and put private residences at the top. So you'd have 5-star service along with a view that you couldn't find anywhere else.”

Pruitt pointed out that there isn't a 5-star hotel in Oklahoma.

"Is there a place here for a 5-star concept? Maybe,” Pruitt said. "We're looking at that market analysis to make that determination. We can't say that it's going to happen. But are we dreaming about it? Yeah.

"Are we putting it up on the board and saying this is something that's do-able? We're looking at it and analyzing it now.”

Pruitt said any such development would increase, not decrease, parking in Bricktown. The team has approximately 100 parking spaces outside the right field fence and 550 more spaces east of the ballpark. If any development covers those areas, parking garages would more than make up the difference.

"Anything we would do would at least triple the parking spaces available for the public,” Pruitt said. "We believe that anything we do in future development, parking is key.”

This is sounding more and more exciting.

mmmmm...

Maybe this could actually spawn some retail interest... Sounds like they are thinking creatively and at least starting with some interesting concepts. I have to admit that a loft or condo overlooking the ballpark towards downtown is a pretty inticing idea. i am pretty attached to my neighborhood, but...

Yes, the view from over the rightfield fence would have the ballpark directly in front of you, Bricktown just beyond and the skyline (and western sky sunsets) as a backdrop.

Plus, you are very close to the river and all the recreation there, which is only going to increase with time.

It's hard to imagine a better urban setting in OKC, especially if retail is added nearby.

13. Default Re: Bricktown Village

Ritz-Carlton. Finally someone thinking big.

That's an exquisite shot

No kidding, that would be the best place to live in OKC in my opinion should it be completed. For sure the best view in downtown OKC!!!

I love the thought of a Ritz in Bricktown, but could we support another hotel with rooms that are $200+ a night? We already have the Colcord and Skirvin...will the demand for those rooms exist?

What a great spot for new development, btw...

At least we have the Skirvin and Colcord to test the higher-end waters.

I would say in another few months any future developers will have some good occupancy data to analyze.

I can't imagine a Ritz in Bricktown, the CBD maybe but not Bricktown. I would actually prefer the more "modern" upscale hotels like W or Omni. I could though imagine a Grand Hyatt or something similar.

19. Default Re: Bricktown Village

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuSooner View Post
    Yes, the view from over the rightfield fence would have the ballpark directly in front of you, Bricktown just beyond and the skyline (and western sky sunsets) as a backdrop.

Plus, you are very close to the river and all the recreation there, which is only going to increase with time.

It's hard to imagine a better urban setting in OKC, especially if retail is added nearby.

That would be the view from, I believe, the Warren Spahn statue (if you were to develop a high rise on that land). The view from a little to the north (this development) would be even better.

I would have doubts about the hotel being a Ritz, seeing as how it is part of the Marriott family of hotels. Putting a Ritz in such close proximity to the Renaissance makes little sense. Matter of fact, I'd be willing to bet there's probably a clause in the branding agreement between Marriott and the Ren's franchise holder which restricts where Marriott can license an equivalent or superior hotel brand. I'm not saying that a Ren and a Ritz are peers, but a Ritz would clearly cut into a nice piece of the Ren's business. With the re-emergence of the Skirvin and the Colcord, I don't believe Marriott would cause further injury to a franchisee (although it does bear mention that Marriott has had its share of negative press over the past few years regarding the manner in which it does treat some franchisees).

For many of the same reasons set forth above, I don't believe that we're looking at the prospect of a W or a Westin either. Too much of a risk of negative impact to the Sheraton (all of the aforementioned hotels are Starwood brands).

Accordingly, if I had to bet on which of the big name five star hoteliers winds up developing or flagging the property in question, I'd bet on Four Seasons. They're known for developing and flagging hotel/condo properties, certainly meet the five-star qualification, and could fit a 100 room property together with a dozen or so condo units and some office and retail space into a nice building that would fit into the space in question.

To those who believe such a hotel could only thrive in the CBD I caution you not to dismiss this notion out of hand. Keep in mind it's not THAT far of a walk (compared to the distances you have to travel to/from similar hotels in Chicago or New York) and also much of the anticipated clientele of the establishment will have car services at their disposal, either through the hotel or the businesses they are visiting or operating.

With all sincerity, I believe Oklahoma City can and would support a 100-150 room five star hotel, especially if a major league tenant finds its way to town for good., but even without such an attraction.

That's an interesting take, but I know that such brands exists in close proximity to each other in many markets. Off the top of my head I know I walked past a Sheraton on my way from the W Lakeshore to the loop last time I was in Chicago. They're literally five or six blocks from each other and, really, it's not much further to the W City Center.

Granted, Chicago is a completely different market, but I just don't see much evidence that they're concerned about brand dilution if, in fact, the market has the demand.

22. Default Re: Bricktown Village

Another extreme example is the two Sheratons across the street from each other in Times Square. There is also a huge Westin and a W within a couple blocks.

I can see OKC luring a W or Westin easily. A Ritz would be a tougher sale, but I'm not sure it's because we already have a Renaissance as much as it's because we aren't a top tier market. Does San Antonio have a Ritz-Carlton? Does Memphis? Portland? Indianapolis? Salt Lake?

23. Default Re: Bricktown Village

Uh.. We already have 3 Mariott Brand hotels within a few blocks or each other(Renaissance, Courtyard, Residence)... I don't think they have a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I saw the plan again today, they were working out site issues with various planners and landscape architects. They are still in the beginning stages of the overall project but lots of elements from the original, like the condo tower overlooking the ballpark, are still there. My guess is that those batting cages could easily be moved in the future as this would still be at least 1-2 years before they start construction. Expect an official announcement of the project within the next 6 months as design work continues.

I can't say too much but I can say I am very impressed and I know you all will be as well. The site is definitely much larger and now encompasses the entire area east of the ballpark from Main to Reno all the way to Lincoln/I-235. I don't know the number of residential units but it will be a lot. Also caught a glimpse of some of their target goals during the design phase and saw 7 story boutique hotel, mixed-use retail, residential, commercial, and light industrial (?) space, midrise condo tower overlooking the ballpark with a plaza in between it and the proposed Hampton Inn at Sheridan and Stiles, a mix of underground and garage parking, and a GROCERY STORE. I'll scan some images when I get a chance (and they say it's okay) but I'll be in Chicago all this week so it will have to be in a couple weeks.

When will we see these scanned images?

Thread Information