Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light Rail/Bond/Ideas

1. Default Re: Light Rail/Bond/Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    What the hell are you people talking about! The citizens did vote for light rail and it passed. It was called MAPS. Remember the transporation link from Meridian to downtown. Do you also remember the outrage when it was switched to a bus system because there was not support from elected leaders (Istook)? The people of OKC do want a rail system - they already voted yes.

Federal Transit Administration - Planning & Environment
    Oklahoma Railway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thank you, Kerry. You are absolutely right!

-------------

2. Default Re: Light Rail/Bond/Ideas

Kerry for MAPS-III Commissioner!!!

If you want to know my point of view, go re-read Kerry's posts.

3. Default Re: Light Rail/Bond/Ideas

Trust me, I supported maps but I'd never support light rail.

4. Default Re: Light Rail/Bond/Ideas

Well, we know where BailJumper stands on the issue.

5. Default Re: Light Rail/Bond/Ideas

Yep, next to my gas eating SUV that I plan to drive everywhere I go!

Default Re: Light Rail/Bond/Ideas

Enjoy those gas prices where they're at right now, as we saw last summer there's no telling how high they could go in the near future. I'm sure there are many voters who think like you but my guess is the overall voting population in OKC sees other regional cities building rail and will realize OKC needs it as well.

7. Default Re: Light Rail/Bond/Ideas

The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Yeah, yeah... I heard all those 'experts' last year saying how gas was gonna hit $5 a gallon during the summer. Guess they missed that one.

Lets mark this post in our memories and I'll get back at ya with a big "i told you so" after the failed bond election.

Gas could hit $5 for all I care and I'm still gonna be in my SUV. I find they are just the right size to squish any tree hugger who gets in my way.

8. Default Re: Light Rail/Bond/Ideas

You are gosh darn right... squash those hippies.

While I am all for squashing hippies myself (wife has a Nissan Armada), I also see the value in the city expanding its transporation options. Here is a little history lesson for you though. For the most part, OKC does not have a traffic congestion problem. In fact, OKC has one of the best freeways systems in the country. It is better than every city I have been to - bar none. Why is this? It is becasue the leaders of OKC planned a long time ago for our current road network.

Why stop that kind of future planning now? Building a rail network is the next logical step in securing OKCs future. When I-240 was built on the Southside it was in farmland. Look at it today. My mom remembers when Grand Ave was in the country. I am sure there were people back then just like Bailjumper saying it was a waste of money and refused to get off their horses.

It will be 20+ years before OKC could build a city wide rail system and in the year 2026 I am sure someone will say - "Wow, what a great rail system. Thank goodness the leaders of OKC in 2006 panned ahead." Of couse, by then we will have Bailjumper Jr saying what a waste of money the new transporter tubes are.

Quote Originally Posted by BailJumper View Post
    Trust me, I supported maps but I'd never support light rail.
    How is that possible? MAPS had a light rail component. Are you telling me you voted for it before you voted against it?

11. Default Re: Light Rail/Bond/Ideas

MAPS had a light rail component.
    This is exactly right. We got people to vote for it when gas was $0.95 a gallon and very few cities were thinking in these terms. Now, you have Dallas, Denver, Little Rock, etc. with either commuter rail or light rail in the works or actually working. You also have $2.25 gas. The people voted for it then, they will vote for it now. And now that Istook doesn't hold any political office, he can't kill it.

Let's be honest here. The people of OKC may support it without the MAPS-III name or other projects attached to it, but if properly marketed as MAPS-III with a few other projects (I like expanding the Myriad Gardens to the south in a kind of Central Park-type thing myself), it is an easier sell to the general population.

12. Default Re: Light Rail/Bond/Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    We are getting ready to spend $1 billion on eight miles of highway and you're suggesting rail travel is a sinkhole?
    Your numbers are wrong.

13. Default Re: Light Rail/Bond/Ideas

Kerry - I never voted against MAPS. I liked the concept overall, but that doesn't mean I agree with every component.

I supported the lottery but not the fact they had to link it to schools to get it passed.

You want to expand metrotransit - fine. You want to lay tracks - no thank you.

Thread Information