Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zoo Concerts

Default Re: Zoo Concerts

is it too much to ask that they could have someone play who's had some relevance this decade (and more original members than not)?

several of the artists retain adequate relevance to folks who have fond memories from certain prior decades.

The soon to be renovated Clayboys Arena can carry current talent quite nicely, as can the LNC at OU. I don't see a problem if the' I 'Member the 70's and 80's' Tour lands at the Zoo, or Riverwind or Firelake for that matter.

There will be other shows at the zoo. I'm sure KORN or Hinder might be back to play Kattfest again. However you find that most of the shows being booked are classic rock acts. Why? Obviously they make more money.

As far as the B-52's show goes, it's benefiting some type of "alternative lifestyle" (a.k.a. - gay) charity. You may want to bring your cheese grater, they might even put you on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker34 View Post
    As far as the B-52's show goes, it's benefiting some type of "alternative lifestyle" (a.k.a. - gay) charity. You may want to bring your cheese grater, they might even put you on stage.

There will be other shows at the zoo. I'm sure KORN or Hinder might be back to play Kattfest again. However you find that most of the shows being booked are classic rock acts. Why? Obviously they make more money.

I would rather use the cheese grater AT a B-52's show on stage than see Hinder.

I will be at Boston and Journey - only if they are free.

Quote Originally Posted by kmf563 View Post
    I would rather use the cheese grater AT a B-52's show on stage than see Hinder.

I will be at Boston and Journey - only if they are free.
    Wow, not a Hinder fan huh? Speaking of Hinder, Chad Kroeger of Nickelback was interviewed in Playboy recently and was talking about the true rockstars.... He said that the old tried and true "hard partying" rock star was dying out.... but he mentioned Hinder and said that they were the biggest and baddest party animals out there...... Thought that was pretty cool.....

And why would the Boston and/or Journey shows be free? I mean it would be cool if they were, but is that a reasonable expectation????

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    Wow, not a Hinder fan huh? Speaking of Hinder, Chad Kroeger of Nickelback was interviewed in Playboy recently and was talking about the true rockstars.... He said that the old tried and true "hard partying" rock star was dying out.... but he mentioned Hinder and said that they were the biggest and baddest party animals out there...... Thought that was pretty cool.....

And why would the Boston and/or Journey shows be free? I mean it would be cool if they were, but is that a reasonable expectation????
    Yes, Hinder has made quite a name for themselves as being the irresponsible partying typical rock star. It's not impressive. No, I am not a Hinder fan at all. Nothing about them impresses me. They used to...back in the old Hinder days when they actually cared and tried. When they were just broke musicians.

Yes, it is a reasonable expectation for myself to go to zoo concerts for free! That's one of the many perks I get for what I do. I honestly couldn't tell you what the last show I paid to see was.

i understand the relevance of the oldies acts to some people, but the Zoo is such a great venue for the summertime, i feel it's being underused... i applaud the Snow Patrol/Flaming Lips/Widespread Panic type of shows, even though they're probably not very big moneymakers (except for Lips)... i don't have a problem with the oldies showing up at the Zoo, i've been to some of them myself, but it would be nice to showcase such a cool venue to other segments of the concert-going population... would it be out of the question to have a Wilco or Modest Mouse or Gnarls Barkley or Nine Inch Nails play there? and yes, i know NIN is playing the FC in August, but i think it'd be a great Zoo show...

DMB would have been great there instead of the ballpark.

I would like to see some of the national group tours come into the zoo. Like the Warped Tour, Bamboozle, etc.

You know what else would be great there? A huge festival like every other city has!! Bonnaroo, Waka, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by kmf563 View Post
    Yes, it is a reasonable expectation for myself to go to zoo concerts for free! That's one of the many perks I get for what I do. I honestly couldn't tell you what the last show I paid to see was.
    gotta love the "french benefits"

11. Default Re: Zoo Concerts

gotta love the "french benefits"
    Yes you do..

And my wonderful friend is taking me to Journey with her, right? ... haha!

As long as we close our eyes and pretend it's Steve Perry.. I'll buy the beer..

I have my name on a list at the Ampitheater so hopefully, they will call me when tickets go on sale. It will be fun.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    Yes you do..

And my wonderful friend is taking me to Journey with her, right? ... haha!

As long as we close our eyes and pretend it's Steve Perry.. I'll buy the beer..

I have my name on a list at the Ampitheater so hopefully, they will call me when tickets go on sale. It will be fun.

Free beer...let me think....ummm....let me see what I can do!!! You want your hubby to come too? We could make it a double date! The more beer I drink, the less I will even notice it isn't Steve Perry.

So, do I get the same offer? LOL I can damn near drink my own body weight in those $5.00 3.2% beers. What extra would I get for VIP passes?

What extra would I get for VIP passes?
    That's a loaded question!! haha.

15. Default Re: Zoo Concerts

lol! I'll bring the damn keg if I get VIP tickets! ha.ha.. yeah Hubby needs to drive us home!

Kid Rock at the zoo?

hmm. what have you heard about Kid Rock?

Stone Temple Pilots will be there in August and Sheryl Crow will be, too...

18. Default Re: Zoo Concerts

Any news on Journey?

To satisfy the classic rock and cool vibe, perhaps the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss? That would be a fun show.

Side note: Best Zoo show I saw (and probably one of the last) was Big Head Todd and the Allman Bros late 90s.

> perhaps the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss?

I'd be there

Robert Plant/Alison Krauss would be awesome. What a strange, but great pairing!

just read this thread! I love the Zoo venue. Really the only one I really enjoy attending these days. DS and GF bought us tickets to see Sheryl Crowe there in August. We will do a double date. Should be fun. I have seen Bonnie Raitt and Carole King there and really enjoyed the shows.

I miss the pay one price and sit on the ground shows, but understand the need to change to reserved seating to be able to bring the larger artists there. Such is progress.

Concerning Journey....I was lucky enough to see them (with Steve) when they played in Norman in the 70's! Great performance. Bryan Adams was the beginning act. Nah, nah,nah, nah NA!!!!!
    Last edited by redcup; 05-03-2008 at 11:56 PM. Reason: added stuff

Not trying to completely revive an old thread, but I was looking on pollstar.com and noticed the upcoming shows the Zoo has going on and it is a lot more impressive that I thought it would be:

June 10 - John Fogerty and ZZ Top
    June 29 - Cody Johnson
    July 2 - Kesha
    July 8 - Paramore and Foster the People
    July 12 - 30 Seconds to Mars, Walk the Moon, KFlay and Welshly Arms
    July 20 - 3 Doors Down, Collective Soul and Soul Asylum
    July 24 - Pentatonix
    August 1 - Logic, NF and Kyle
    August 2 - 311, Offspring and Gym Class Heroes

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's a pretty impressive list, at least to me, it is.

24. Default Re: Zoo Concerts

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Not trying to completely revive an old thread, but I was looking on pollstar.com and noticed the upcoming shows the Zoo has going on and it is a lot more impressive that I thought it would be:

June 10 - John Fogerty and ZZ Top
    June 29 - Cody Johnson
    July 2 - Kesha
    July 8 - Paramore and Foster the People
    July 12 - 30 Seconds to Mars, Walk the Moon, KFlay and Welshly Arms
    July 20 - 3 Doors Down, Collective Soul and Soul Asylum
    July 24 - Pentatonix
    August 1 - Logic, NF and Kyle
    August 2 - 311, Offspring and Gym Class Heroes

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's a pretty impressive list, at least to me, it is.
    The Slayer retirement show is there Aug 16th with Anthrax, Lamb of God, Testament, and Napalm Death

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBV View Post
    To satisfy the classic rock and cool vibe, perhaps the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss? That would be a fun show.
    Got a time machine? Point it to 9/26/2008:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rober...-33d0f0b1.html

Thread Information