Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Retail Update

1. Default Re: OKC Retail Update

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I don't know what Homeland you go to but at the one I frequent the cashiers are always exceptionally friendly and helpful.
    I always go to either the Buy For Less by me on NWX or make the drive to Homeland at May & Britton. The people at Homeland (at least at that location) are exceptionally friendly. I use their pharmacy as well because they price match anything, anywhere. But they are also the kindest pharmacy staff I've ever used.

Default Re: OKC Retail Update

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    I always go to either the Buy For Less by me on NWX or make the drive to Homeland at May & Britton. The people at Homeland (at least at that location) are exceptionally friendly. I use their pharmacy as well because they price match anything, anywhere. But they are also the kindest pharmacy staff I've ever used.
    I also appreciate that at the Homeland I frequent (NW Expwy and MacArthur) they seem to employ a number of handicapped.

3. Default Re: OKC Retail Update

People at WF are usually pretty cool, until they go off the deep end at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    People at WF are usually pretty cool, until they go off the deep end at least.
    So do they OD on organics or what, Spartan?

5. Default Re: OKC Retail Update

On organic something or other..

The bulk mushrooms.........

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    So what are the odds that Whole Foods' pending second location (which apparently is a very real prospect) goes downtown?

I almost wish they would hold off a year or two so that it could be used as more leverage to get those liquor laws changed.
    My guess is their 2nd location will probably be in Edmond.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    That's coming. They're looking for a site.
    Possibly in the Triangle or Nichols Hills Plaza from what I've been told.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    My guess is their 2nd location will probably be in Edmond.
    don't be surprised if the next Whole Foods ends up in Norman, particularly the affluent west side...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Possibly in the Triangle or Nichols Hills Plaza from what I've been told.
    Nichols Hills Plaza won't happen. It's much too close to the new store.

Nichols Hills Plaza won't happen. It's much too close to the new store.
    I'm not trying to sound like a snob but they were talking about an Urban Outfitters location.

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    I'm not trying to sound like a snob but they were talking about an Urban Outfitters location.
    MDot, I know you're not a snob but the recent posts have been about a second location for Whole Foods hence the confusion.

MDot, I know you're not a snob but the recent posts have been about a second location for Whole Foods hence the confusion.
    I was pretty sure that's what it was since betts post about an Urban Outfitters was one of the first posts in this thread and we're about midway through page 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I keep hearing this from people and I can't figure it out. They are crazy expensive, have a very limited selection, and don't offer brands that you can't find at any other sporting goods store. What is the attraction to them? I don't mind paying more if the item is higher quality or is a brand unavailable elseware - but they have the exact same stuff I can find at Academy Sports or Sports Authority for about 15% to 20% less.
    Well, since we don't have a Sports Authority here, at least Dicks would give us some other option than Academy.

Yes, I was referring to Urban Outfitters.

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    Well, since we don't have a Sports Authority here, at least Dicks would give us some other option than Academy.
    Point taken. What is wrong with metro OKC? 1.3 million people and the retail selection of Bakersfield (I was going to say Fresno - but Fresno has more retail options than OKC).

Point taken. What is wrong with metro OKC? 1.3 million people and the retail selection of Bakersfield (I was going to say Fresno - but Fresno has more retail options than OKC).
    LOL this. Spot on, Kerry.

LOL this. Spot on, Kerry.
    Except it isn't funny - it is down right sad. Is it that people are addicted to WalMart or is WalMart the prefered retailer because there is no other choice?

Except it isn't funny - it is down right sad. Is it that people are addicted to WalMart or is WalMart the prefered retailer because there is no other choice?
    I never said it was funny, I said LOL because I was thinking the exact same thing except I didn't have any particular cities in mind the way you did. And I would say it's because there isn't any other choices besides Wal-Mart, I can state for a fact that that's the case for me and mi familia but that's 10 people out of 1.3 million.

I never said it was funny, I said LOL because I was thinking the exact same thing except I didn't have any particular cities in mind the way you did. And I would say it's because there isn't any other choices besides Wal-Mart, I can state for a fact that that's the case for me and mi familia but that's 10 people out of 1.3 million.
    I got you now. Sadly, it took me a while to even come up with Bakersfield and Fresno. Every time I thought up an obscure place name that sounded funny they had better retail (dang go-getters in Peoria). The proliferation of WalMart is problematic because many retailers are afraid to compete with them. It takes a local/regional developer with some financial resources to take the chance. Jax is very similar to OKC demographic wise and we have more than our share of WalMarts but St Johns Town Center is now the number 3 most profitable retail center in the US. Thank goodness an Atlanta developer took a chance on us becasue no one in Jax was going to do it.

Maybe a Dallas, Denver, or Houston developer can be to OKC what the Atlanta developer was to Jacksonville. I can't name anyone off the top of my head who is an Oklahoma City developer who is willing to take a chance on us so obviously our saviour is going to have to come from outside of Oklahoma City unless I'm forgetting someone/something significant.

Maybe a Dallas, Denver, or Houston developer can be to OKC what the Atlanta developer was to Jacksonville. I can't name anyone off the top of my head who is an Oklahoma City developer who is willing to take a chance on us so obviously our saviour is going to have to come from outside of Oklahoma City unless I'm forgetting someone/something significant.
    OKC already tried the 'local' route and we got Lower Bricktown (aka - the mistake by the interstate). Bob Funk tried to be the new local guy with vision but had trouble convincing the City he could pull it off.

From 2007:
    http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=10160&page=1

Yeah I can't really disagree with that assessment about Lower Bricktown. I remember seeing the 'renderings' of the Bob Funk project but I never read into it so I didn't know the specifics but it seemed like a nice project to someone who just seen a drawing but I know some of the 'prettiest' projects can be some of the overall worst.

OKC already tried the 'local' route and we got Lower Bricktown (aka - the mistake by the interstate). Bob Funk tried to be the new local guy with vision but had trouble convincing the City he could pull it off.

From 2007:
    http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=10160&page=1

To be fair, this development was not in Lower Bricktown, this was to be north of Reno and south of California, and right next to the Ballpark. Lower Bricktown is bounded by Reno to the north.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantastic View Post
    To be fair, this development was not in Lower Bricktown, this was to be north of Reno and south of California, and right next to the Ballpark. Lower Bricktown is bounded by Reno to the north.
    I didn't think I implied this was meant for Lower Bricktown. However, at some point they are going to have to level LB and try again.

Thread Information