Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moore War

Default Re: Moore War

Enjoy it, I miss the days when PC-PC West was a big game.

That is sweet they won against SouthMoore and won the City Champs title! Very happy!

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Photos from tonight's game are online at Westmoore 31 Southmoore 13 - jagfootballphotos' Photos

Great pictures and the 2 plaques are very nice! What will they they do with the plaques?

Photos from tonight's game are online at Westmoore 31 Southmoore 13 - jagfootballphotos' Photos
    Thanks for posting the pics. Those are superb. As I noted before, I think the recruitment of players from Westmoore has slowed, apparently not completely shut off, by Southmoore. At one time in the 2nd half, 8 of the 11 players on the field for Southmoore were Moore High and Westmoore kids.

Quote Originally Posted by bhawes View Post
    SouthMoore will beat Moore and WestMoore.
    You were saying?

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan
    Great pictures and the 2 plaques are very nice! What will they they do with the plaques?
    Thanks!

I'm not sure what they plan to do with the plaques. I thought that clear/etched rivalry trophy was awesome. I think the wooden plaques are on display at the then-winning school, but I won't swear to that.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    Thanks for posting the pics. Those are superb. As I noted before, I think the recruitment of players from Westmoore has slowed, apparently not completely shut off, by Southmoore. At one time in the 2nd half, 8 of the 11 players on the field for Southmoore were Moore High and Westmoore kids.
    Thanks for the kind words on the pics!!!!

Hey, folks, since there was some Westmoore interest here, I thought I'd post another gallery of pictures I took from last night's 48-7 thumping of Muskogee.

Of special interest are some pics of *great* catches from an emerging star on the Jaguar offense in wideout Dahu Green. This kid is only a junior but is already clearly exhibiting D1 caliber receiving talent. The kid has a natural height advantage over just about every corner that matches up with him, plus great natural skill and timing with soft hands and the ability darned near catch anything near him. He's a tremendous talent. Enjoy the pics.

Westmoore 48 Muskogee 6 - jagfootballphotos' Photos

Nice pics. WHS is doing well so far. Hopefully they keep it up.

Hey, folks, since there was some Westmoore interest here, I thought I'd post another gallery of pictures I took from last night's 48-7 thumping of Muskogee.

Of special interest are some pics of *great* catches from an emerging star on the Jaguar offense in wideout Dahu Green. This kid is only a junior but is already clearly exhibiting D1 caliber receiving talent. The kid has a natural height advantage over just about every corner that matches up with him, plus great natural skill and timing with soft hands and the ability darned near catch anything near him. He's a tremendous talent. Enjoy the pics.

Westmoore 48 Muskogee 6 - jagfootballphotos' Photos
    Keep the pictures coming! I do not like Westmoore's uniforms but I do love the helmets though

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    Keep the pictures coming! I do not like Westmoore's uniforms but I do love the helmets though
    See I kind of don't like the helmets. What happened to the old helmets with the red W?

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    See I kind of don't like the helmets. What happened to the old helmets with the red W?
    What is wrong with the helmets?

The alternative home red jerseys were new this year. They bought entirely new uniforms for last season as what they'd been using had gone through (several) prior seasons and were simply worn out. Problem was the new jerseys didn't hold up nearly as well even after a single season, so they opted for an this additional style. Apparently, when they introduced them to the players at the beginning of the season, they went bonkers over 'em. Loved em.

Not sure about the helmets, except the newer ones have the matte finish and the logo is just a label applied to them, and again, the other helmets were getting old and worn. Think most folks might be surprised how much maintenance goes into those things...

What is wrong with the helmets?
    I feel like the black W just blends in. The old red W looks better IMO.

What I did not notice is that I was only 5 points off my score predication from Moore War, that is pretty good!

Westmoore 6-0. Jenks is up next. That's going to be a tough game.

For whomever might be interested, here's a link to my photo gallery for the Westmoore-PC game last night:

Westmoore 16 Putnam City 14 - jagfootballphotos' Photos

Not nearly as many offensive highlights, obviously, in a 16-14 game, but lots of got-em-when-you-needed-em defensive plays. Westmoore bent but didn't break defensively; PC had the ball and was driving with under two minutes to play, moving for what would have been a shot at a game-winning field goal, but back-to-back plays for loss by the Westmoore defense sealed the deal. A last-second desperation pass on the game's final play was intercepted.

PC played a pretty basic, I-formation power run game at Westmoore, and it had some success - running inside/underneath the aggressive edge pursuit. Think Westmoore may run the aggressive edge pressure to compensate at least some for a smaller defensive interior, so it has risks. That may prove a bigger problem against Jenks. When Westmoore was able to force PC in to throwing the ball, that's where the pressure paid off into sacks, incompletions, and plays for loss.

Last night was much more of a struggle for the Westmoore offense than I think anyone might have expected. They moved the ball almost at will on their first three drives, but unforced errors limited them to only ten points. Bryson Lee tossed three picks, one off a deflection, but the other two were just not very good throws. The last pick was thrown into the endzone from inside the PC 10-yard line, and a score there would likely have sealed the game. For whatever reason, PC seems to be a thorn in Westmoore's side - beating them in Moore last year, and nearly pulling off the upset last night. Bottom line, however, is that Westmoore overcame their offensive problems and came away with the 16-14 win. On to Jenks!!

Their uniforms is not that much better

Westmoore lost 24-0, not very surprising

Would have been nice to beat them. Still have BA, but they may be able to win that one.

Westmoore lost 24-0, not very surprising
    Westmoore was absolutely manhandled at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Jenks 3 man front on D looked like college size guys.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    Westmoore was absolutely manhandled at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Jenks 3 man front on D looked like college size guys.
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Would have been nice to beat them. Still have BA, but they may be able to win that one.
    It would be nice to defeat Broken Arrow indeed but it would be tough

Sorry not to have tossed in some on this thread since the Jenks game, so in the interest of keeping it going....

First, Jenks was a really, really frustrating loss for Westmoore. I think they believed as much as anyone they had a legit shot going in, but Jenks was too incredibly physical on both sides of the ball.

Westmoore had a golden opportunity early in that game to cash in a punt snap that sailed way over the head of the Jenks kicker, but did zilch in four plays.

That was a trend.

While I won't pretend it would have made the difference in the game, I will say the frustration was multiplied ten-fold by the ugly cold temps and steady rain that fell the entire first half. It made probably a quarter to a third of the Westmoore playbook unusable. If Westmoore could have scored on that first drive, kept the game close, it might have given them at least a shot to keep it close and have a chance to win late. Heck, even as dominant as Jenks was, they were only up 10-0 at halftime. Still manageable. But the Westmoore offense lost something like ten yards on its first play of the third quarter, went on to punt, and it was apparent they just couldn't keep up with Jenks' DL and edge pursuit. It was really amazing.

With that loss behind them, Westmoore went up to Sapulpa last night and had a WHALE of a ballgame.

QB Bryson Lee was out with a concussion sustained at the end of the Jenks game, so Devin Navarro came in, and it took him at least a quarter to just settle in and let the game come to him a bit. The Westmoore offense didn't get a first down until midway through the second quarter.

With Sapulpa up 10-0, Westmoore's defense got pressure on Sapulpa's QB, forced a grounding call, and took a punt at their 40. Westmoore scored, on a busted-play run up the middle by Navarro, but missed a 2-pt PAT, went into the half down 10-6. They then scored on a 20-yard run by Kieron Hardrick on their first drive of the third quarter, going up 13-10. Sapulpa, with a really nice power-I offense and a really impressive (and frustrating!!) pass-run QB got the score right back, going up 17-13.

Sapulpa later added a field goal to go up 20-13, and Westmoore turned the ball over twice on picks that seemed to doom them until their final drive with 2:02 left in the game. Navarro led the Jags on a drive that finished with a 10-yard TD pass to Colin Morris with only 34 seconds in the game. Overtime, right?

Maybe not.

Westmoore allowed Sapulpa to return the ensuing kickoff over 60 yards to the Westmoore 35. With barely 6 seconds left, Sapulpa throws short of the first down - in play - but the clock stopped for no reason as soon as the receiver's knee hit the turf. Its arguable whether Sapulpa's coach could possibly have seen the play, gotten to the ref, and gotten the timeout called in the 3.4 seconds that were left - but a friendly clock operator prevailed. So Sapulpa sets up for a game-winning FG - which Westmoore blocks. Overtime, right?

Nope.

Officials call Westmoore for offsides, and give the home team another shot. Westmoore breaks through, blocks the kick again, and picks up the loose ball and runs downfield for a touchdown, seemingly winning the game in regulation for Westmoore, right?

Nope.

Officials then decide there was an "inadvertent whistle" that blew the play dead as Westmoore picked up the ball and ran with it.

No touchdown.

I can hear the ref explaining to Jags coach Billy Langford "You're absolutely right, its a free ball, but there was this inadvertent whistle.." The Westmoore crowd (which was pretty darned respectable) goes berzerk. Refs conference for several minutes - but - to no one's real surprise - home team gets the break - no TD is the final ruling.

Overtime - Sapulpa drives to the Westmoore 3, but is stuffed at the 1 on 3rd down, and kicks an FG to go up 23-20. On Westmoore's second play on their possession, Kieron Hardrick races almost untouched 12 yards up the middle for the game winning touchdown.

Whew.

For anyone interested, I've got a photo gallery from the game you're welcome to visit here: here. Have to apologize some for the rather dark photos, but the Sapulpa stadium is one of the darkest places I've shot and I had to tweak the ol camera to get enough of an exposure...pushed up the ISO, decreased the shutter speed to 1/250, the whole bit. But the pics are servicable

Enjoy the talk here! Westmoore really gutted out that win. They're in good shape at 7-1 overall and 4-1 in district with only Tulsa Edison and Broken Arrow remaining. If they can get some folks healed up, they've got a great shot at finishing 9-1 and snagging at least a first-round playoff game. It would be a great year for them! Just have to see how it goes.

Sorry not to have tossed in some on this thread since the Jenks game, so in the interest of keeping it going....

First, Jenks was a really, really frustrating loss for Westmoore. I think they believed as much as anyone they had a legit shot going in, but Jenks was too incredibly physical on both sides of the ball.

Westmoore had a golden opportunity early in that game to cash in a punt snap that sailed way over the head of the Jenks kicker, but did zilch in four plays.

That was a trend.

While I won't pretend it would have made the difference in the game, I will say the frustration was multiplied ten-fold by the ugly cold temps and steady rain that fell the entire first half. It made probably a quarter to a third of the Westmoore playbook unusable. If Westmoore could have scored on that first drive, kept the game close, it might have given them at least a shot to keep it close and have a chance to win late. Heck, even as dominant as Jenks was, they were only up 10-0 at halftime. Still manageable. But the Westmoore offense lost something like ten yards on its first play of the third quarter, went on to punt, and it was apparent they just couldn't keep up with Jenks' DL and edge pursuit. It was really amazing.

With that loss behind them, Westmoore went up to Sapulpa last night and had a WHALE of a ballgame.

QB Bryson Lee was out with a concussion sustained at the end of the Jenks game, so Devin Navarro came in, and it took him at least a quarter to just settle in and let the game come to him a bit. The Westmoore offense didn't get a first down until midway through the second quarter.

With Sapulpa up 10-0, Westmoore's defense got pressure on Sapulpa's QB, forced a grounding call, and took a punt at their 40. Westmoore scored, on a busted-play run up the middle by Navarro, but missed a 2-pt PAT, went into the half down 10-6. They then scored on a 20-yard run by Kieron Hardrick on their first drive of the third quarter, going up 13-10. Sapulpa, with a really nice power-I offense and a really impressive (and frustrating!!) pass-run QB got the score right back, going up 17-13.

Sapulpa later added a field goal to go up 20-13, and Westmoore turned the ball over twice on picks that seemed to doom them until their final drive with 2:02 left in the game. Navarro led the Jags on a drive that finished with a 10-yard TD pass to Colin Morris with only 34 seconds in the game. Overtime, right?

Maybe not.

Westmoore allowed Sapulpa to return the ensuing kickoff over 60 yards to the Westmoore 35. With barely 6 seconds left, Sapulpa throws short of the first down - in play - but the clock stopped for no reason as soon as the receiver's knee hit the turf. Its arguable whether Sapulpa's coach could possibly have seen the play, gotten to the ref, and gotten the timeout called in the 3.4 seconds that were left - but a friendly clock operator prevailed. So Sapulpa sets up for a game-winning FG - which Westmoore blocks. Overtime, right?

Nope.

Officials call Westmoore for offsides, and give the home team another shot. Westmoore breaks through, blocks the kick again, and picks up the loose ball and runs downfield for a touchdown, seemingly winning the game in regulation for Westmoore, right?

Nope.

Officials then decide there was an "inadvertent whistle" that blew the play dead as Westmoore picked up the ball and ran with it.

No touchdown.

I can hear the ref explaining to Jags coach Billy Langford "You're absolutely right, its a free ball, but there was this inadvertent whistle.." The Westmoore crowd (which was pretty darned respectable) goes berzerk. Refs conference for several minutes - but - to no one's real surprise - home team gets the break - no TD is the final ruling.

Overtime - Sapulpa drives to the Westmoore 3, but is stuffed at the 1 on 3rd down, and kicks an FG to go up 23-20. On Westmoore's second play on their possession, Kieron Hardrick races almost untouched 12 yards up the middle for the game winning touchdown.

Whew.

For anyone interested, I've got a photo gallery from the game you're welcome to visit here: here. Have to apologize some for the rather dark photos, but the Sapulpa stadium is one of the darkest places I've shot and I had to tweak the ol camera to get enough of an exposure...pushed up the ISO, decreased the shutter speed to 1/250, the whole bit. But the pics are servicable

Enjoy the talk here! Westmoore really gutted out that win. They're in good shape at 7-1 overall and 4-1 in district with only Tulsa Edison and Broken Arrow remaining. If they can get some folks healed up, they've got a great shot at finishing 9-1 and snagging at least a first-round playoff game. It would be a great year for them! Just have to see how it goes.
    Thank you for the play by play review! That was a very gutsy comeback by Westmoore! I think they will defeat Tulsa Edison but lose to Broken Arrow....so they will probably be 8-2 which is a great record

I saw Moore's record and damn, only 1 win against Grant High School, I hate to say it but I feel bad for them

That was a trend.

Maybe not.

Nope.

Nope.

No touchdown.

Whew.

That is a word for word dead on accurate description of how it transpired. You must have been standing somewhere near me on the sidelines. I too could hear most of what was being said between Billy Langford and the "officials". I do believe at some point Billy said, you go explain that to my players and team how you stole the game from them with the "inadvertent whistle". Not word for word that, but close. It was the worst case of homecooking by officials in a small hicktown I've ever witnessed in 6A ball. I've been following from field level Westmoore for 26 yrs now. And, the lighting was not up to standards of most junior high fields. Ok. I'm done. Go Jags.

Thread Information