Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst local commercial?

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Worst local commercial?

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    About the ONLY car commercials that don't make me want to carve my eyes and ears out with a rusty spork are the Automax ones with Paul Newsom.

Doesn't mean I don't still skip his commercials.
    I'm horribly compulsive about commercials. They aren't allowed to be heard or seen in our house. Thank goodness for the MUTE and the fast forward on the DVR. If I go to a friends house to watch a baseball game or something I'll just get up and go to the kitchen and wait for someone to yell, "it's on!"

As far as the radio goes, I have a watch with a countdown timer set to 55 seconds.

It's better to miss part of a program than see/hear any part of a commercial.

Oh, I don't want them to be done away with. They pay for the stations and programming. After all free enterprise is very important.

I just refuse to watch/hear them, period.

> that guy gets around. I've seen him in commercials in other areas well
    > beyond the OKC viewing area.

The first time I experienced a 'local ad guy' elsewhere was in the early 90's. I was killing time in ATL and suddenly Tom Parks was hawking Dodge vehicles on the TV. Until that time I had just assumed he was the best face available in the Lynn Hickey stable. I later saw him on a western KS station for the larger Dodge dealer in that area.

Folks like TP and Mr. no say no (I can never recall his name) have what folks respond to I suppose. Gee, I wonder if Chad Stevens hawks his awful gimmicky wares for anyone other than Fowler. Probably a nice guy but I canna stand his commercials, although I do admit his take off on Gundy did make me laugh

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    >
    Folks like TP and Mr. no say no (I can never recall his name) have what folks respond to I suppose.
    Tom Parks is known as "One Take Tom". He does the commercial and it's finished. That saves the company a lot of money and them to record future commercials instead of wasting time rehearsing.

That's the way the commercial business is in music. We go in, go over the tune once, lay down a track and start the next session.

About the ONLY car commercials that don't make me want to carve my eyes and ears out with a rusty spork are the Automax ones with Paul Newsom.

He just talks about the cars...Doesn't yell.

Plus, I've met him (dad went to HS with him) and he's a really nice guy.

Doesn't mean I don't still skip his commercials.
    Where is his son Bo Newsom at these days?

I think 1-800 2 sell homes is by far the worst we have...also worth mentioning is the Automax commercial poorly filmed from a helicopter. The camera is so shaky it looks as if the helicopter may go down at any minute.

6. Default Re: Worst local commercial?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby821 View Post
    Where is his son Bo Newsom at these days?
    Eating a cheese coney at a Sonic in Ardmore.

7. Default Re: Worst local commercial?

Tom Parks is known as "One Take Tom". He does the commercial and it's finished.
    Imagine my surprise last year when I was in New Jersey and there was Tom Parks hawking cars on the local station. That dude gets around!

Not sure what to make of this clip.

Eating a cheese coney at a Sonic in Ardmore.
    Really you know him? I think i went to HS with his son Bo

I like the late night car commericals, the guy from the place on 122nd that "the city was going to throw me in jail for my sign," statement always cracks me up.

10. Default Re: Worst local commercial?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby821 View Post
    Really you know him? I think i went to HS with his son Bo
    I said I'd met Paul Newsom and I thought he was a nice guy. I didn't say that we were pals or I knew his family.

I have no idea where his son is, I didn't even know his name until you said it.

The Richardson homes commercials drive me crazy! So does the 1-800-2-sellhomes. At least she doesn't yell anymore! I do like Gibson Diffee. He's adorable.

I guess I'm the odd guy out .. the little girl in the Richardson ad doesn't bug me. But I've spent a large part of my adult life around youth. Her voice is true bliss compared to others I've heard.

1. ICY Drink Concert (Worst commerical ever)

2. Beef Jerky Emporium (Funny yet sometimes annoying.)

3. Affordable Furniture (Annoying voices)

4. Galleria Furniture (I will give them credit for the hot chick)

5. Fowler Honda (hilarious when you first see them annoying after awhile)

I will give Chad Stevens credit, I met him in my old job nice guy, very friendly a true class act. His wife and kids were with him and they have been in the Fowler commericals.

My favorite (Although not local) the Watson's commericals. That chick is hot. I love her cleavage.

Quote Originally Posted by FFLady View Post
    Yep - what Redland just said.....

And then come December, the BC Clark ones get my vote every year............

I can agree about the Edmond Hyundai commercials, but I have to disagree about the BC Clark jingle. That is one of the things that lets me know Christmas is officially here, and I've heard it ever since I was barely able to crawl.

For me, I guess it is more about the sentimentality attached to it (the song.)

15. Default Re: Worst local commercial?

A few come to mind.
    Remember:

SOUTHWEST TECHNICAL COLLEGE--"Now I got a skill--no one can take from me."

That chick who said "No, but I have a BRILLIANT personality."

WAVA--Of course, she's not reading!

The ads with George Tomek and Jack Bowen. You know Tomek was like "This is MY gig dammit!" Wasn't there one with Tomek in a swimming pool with some babe?

OKLAHOMA DISCOUNT FURNITURE--Need I say more?

BUT THE ULTIMATE...............MR. SPRIGG'S BARBECUE (Sprigg's barbecue, Sprigg's barbecue)
    My kids sing that stupid song EVERY time we drive by that restaurant. Of course, so do I.

BAD ADS THAT I ACTUALLY MISS:

TALL PAUL
    TRUST HOUSE JEWELERS
    PULL-A-PART

Hi torture time again...
    Allan Merrill Chevrolet route 66 Yukon.

17. Default Re: Worst local commercial?

The Cimmaron Steakhouse commercial that starts with "YEEEE-HAWWWW!"

It airs twice every time I see it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by dances with cameras View Post
    A few come to mind.
    Remember:

WAVA--Of course, she's not reading!
    I'm with ya on this one!

The ads with George Tomek and Jack Bowen. You know Tomek was like "This is MY gig dammit!" Wasn't there one with Tomek in a swimming pool with some babe?
    Multiple babes. I think it was for some mortgage company, wasn't it?

OKLAHOMA DISCOUNT FURNITURE--Need I say more?
    Nope.

TALL PAUL
    Hubby and I were talking about this one the other day. What was that number... 524-3541? Something like that?

TRUST HOUSE JEWELERS
    Yes, dear Gloria and Jim - reigning King and Queen of late nite tv spots - have now passed on, bless 'em. I remember them WAAAY back when they were still at French Market Mall. The "motion" rings got me in every time.

I'm surprised this thread has made it this far with no apparent mention of Bob Mills , his lovely 90s multi-colored knit sweaters, the thumb, his fake teeth, overly-coiffed hair, the new "See how much money I have" pin striped suits, and now "Dr. Angie!" (who's actually a really nice gal)

His slogans through the years crack me up:
    "The Working Man's Friend"
    "Your Home's Best Friend"
    ...can't think of the current one, but I know there is one.

I just put everything on the DVR, so ff through most commercial interruptions.

19. Default Re: Worst local commercial?

Close...524-1541

Can't remember the guy's name, but he runs the no credit insurance place upstairs in Crossroads Mall across from Waldenbooks. He does the wacky arm spinny thing. Really goofy guy. I've seen him up there a couple times waving at people.

What about all the obnoxious Mike Munday spots with all the yelling, same sound effects and scripts.

Thats it TRUST HOUSE JEWELERS.
    Augggh I see them now in my mind.

That little lynn Hickey dude always in the van up in the air on a crane,
    Who cares stay up there. Where is the tornado when you need one?

23. Default Re: Worst local commercial?

Quote Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
    Can't remember the guy's name, but he runs the no credit insurance place upstairs in Crossroads Mall across from Waldenbooks. He does the wacky arm spinny thing. Really goofy guy. I've seen him up there a couple times waving at people.
    Johnny Ross. Our own version of Billy Mays.

Beef Jerky Emporium (Funny yet sometimes annoying.)
    There's actually something called the Beef Jerky Emporium?

Edmond Hyundai. Ugh.

Thread Information