Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Will Rogers Airport website is up!!!

1. Default Re: New Will Rogers Airport website is up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by venture79
    It all comes down to needs of the field layout. Orlando had the trams ever since McCoy AFB became the new Int'l airport there - they had no choice. With a centralized processing and claim area, with airside concourses...it is the only way to move people back and forth.

However, if a new terminal is ever constructed in OKC (probably 10-20 years away before the need gets great enough)...the most to expect would be one of the underground elevator trams. This is similar to what Cincinnati has between concourse A & B, what Atlanta runs between theirs, etc. However, look at new terminal constructions like Detroit's World Gateway complex...a tram is not a sure bet. They have one in Concourse A there due to the length, but you only have moving walk ways underground between Concourse A and the B/C terminal.

I would expect the same for anything in OKC...depending on the distance between terminals. Its just more cost effective and easier to install. Heck they could just forget the underground option all together and go to buses like Dallas to the satellite terminals, Cincinnati to Concourse C, and what Chicago Midway did for the satellite ramp for Chicago Express passengers.
    If a new terminal's built at OKC (IMO it'll most likely be a midfield terminal between the runways-most efficient option), it will definitely have to be south of the existing one. The buses at DFW don't run on the airside, they only connect each terminal's landside, so you have to go through security if you're taking a connecting flight. The new people mover's a much better option. Buses at Cincinnatti/Northern Kentucky Int'l (CVG) connect Concourse C to A and B.

OUman

2. Default Re: New Will Rogers Airport website is up!!!

Has anyone here been to London Stansted? I like the way that airport is set up. They have their main building with the check counters and all that jazz, and then you take their air train to different terminal buildings. I claim to know nothing about airports, but I have enjoyed my 10 experiences at Stansted.

3. Default Re: New Will Rogers Airport website is up!!!

I've only been to London Gatwick, which has a unique design (as far as I've seen) where you wait in a large terminal that is basically a small mall, with bookstores, restaurants, and lot's of open space with chairs, etc. Then, when it's time to board, you enter the concourse and go through security and to your gate and board.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

4. Default Re: New Will Rogers Airport website is up!!!

jbrown: Nassau's airport is the same way, although much more "3rd worldish."

5. Default Re: New Will Rogers Airport website is up!!!

In my personal opinion Stansted is the best airport to fly in/out of when going to London. Not as busy as Heathrow and traffic flows much easier. I always found it simple and straight foreward to get where I am going in that airport. I've only been through Gatwick once..don't remember much about it, but only that I didn'tlike it.

6. Default Re: New Will Rogers Airport website is up!!!

Well, one drawback with Gatwick is that it's SO far from the city. It would be like if OKC's airport was in Paul's Valley.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Thread Information